News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Recruiting New Languishites ?

Started by jamesww, April 01, 2011, 04:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamesww

Worth the bother nowadays ?

I could invite a few of my friends, not because I think they'd take to it or fit in, but because I past caring who sees what and it would save me some breath in explaining to people what Languish is about.

The problem I foresee is, in its current state, it's probably not that immediately attractive a place for newcomers :gasp: 

Not that I've contributed much to its content, but in the early days and until a couple of years ago, there was a good range of subjects, some of the intellectual debates were genuinely interesting from an on lookers viewpoint.

Recently its got a bit narrower in the topics posted and the man, some peoples shtick is getting formulaic.

So is it worth inviting people, or better to accept for some of us it's no longer the place it was, not that there are any greener pastures out there.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

If the objective is to gain status by showing what a cool forum you belong to, probably not.

If the objective is to bring in people who will contribute to discussions, and they're the type of people who won't mind overly fending off trolls, why not?

Malthus

Hey, invite 'em in.

The relevance of this place goes up and down with the news cycle.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Camerus

Give it a try.  This place needs new blood.

Admiral Yi

DraftWar:  We're talking about Poms, right?  Prep them by saying it's Lord of the Flies without the physical violence.

Malthus

Quote from: jamesww on April 01, 2011, 04:21:32 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 01, 2011, 04:15:50 PM
If the objective is to gain status by showing what a cool forum you belong to, probably not.

If the objective is to bring in people who will contribute to discussions, and they're the type of people who won't mind overly fending off trolls, why not?

Good grief not the first, couldn't give a toss about status, but you're right languish once was at times/ has been a cool forum.

Yep, you've got to the nub of the question, I don't think its easy to find people who'll be able to cope with some of the trolling/ the somewhat weird initial hostility.

Look at Lettow, that lad must have some metal, to put up with some of the early hostility, not at all helped by his own political position, but now hes a somewhat valued member of the community.

Its just I don't see many newbies making that sort of transition.

I guess "who the fuck are you?" as a traditional greeting doesn't exactly roll out the welcome mat now, does it.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

MadImmortalMan

Hey, all the friction keeps you sharp. Some people just don't want to deal with that, and that's fine. But it's not everybody. I see no reason why there aren't large populations of people out there who would fit in. It's not like we've saturated the market.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jamesww on April 01, 2011, 04:34:45 PM
Largely, 50-50 men-women, a couple of ex-military, not a bad description.

I think, a few, more commas, are, in order.

What are the lurking rules of engagement these days?

garbon

Quote from: jamesww on April 01, 2011, 04:10:31 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 01, 2011, 04:09:01 PM
I think you should go outside. :)

see above post:

some peoples shtick is getting formulaic.

You'll be happy to know, I've said similar to people at work. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 01, 2011, 04:40:32 PM
Quote from: jamesww on April 01, 2011, 04:34:45 PM
Largely, 50-50 men-women, a couple of ex-military, not a bad description.

I think, a few, more commas, are, in order.

What are the lurking rules of engagement these days?

If they are female and decloak, I lock the sex photons on them.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

citizen k

Quote from: Malthus on April 01, 2011, 04:19:51 PM
The relevance of this place goes up and down with the news cycle.

Would new blood change that?

Darth Wagtaros

Between the racist shtick, the outright hostility and the occasional Siegy attack I can't imagine anyone new would stay. Which is kind of a problem.
PDH!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jamesww on April 01, 2011, 04:05:15 PM
Worth the bother nowadays ?

No.  There's enough assholes here as it is, we don't need more.