Blinded woman gets to put acid in attacker's eyes

Started by jimmy olsen, May 14, 2011, 12:25:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is "An Eye for an Eye" just or is it barbaric.

Just
8 (36.4%)
Barbaric
11 (50%)
Other: Explain
3 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Slargos

Quote from: dps on May 14, 2011, 03:30:54 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on May 14, 2011, 04:07:51 AM
permanent disablement (and reducing the offender to a burden upon his family or a ward of the state) is barbaric (and stupid)

Bingo.

Here I have to disagree though. It's not necessarily worse (the word barbaric is pejorative and meaningless) to disable the individual since a lot of the time it will be an outcome preferable to death, in that the family of the criminal may prefer it.

For the individual themselves, the more humane thing is clearly death, since oblivion is less of a hassle than disability.

dps

Quote from: Slargos on May 14, 2011, 03:40:53 PM
permanent disablement (and reducing the offender to a burden upon his family or a ward of the state) is barbaric (and stupid)

Bingo.

Here I have to disagree though. It's not necessarily worse (the word barbaric is pejorative and meaningless) to disable the individual since a lot of the time it will be an outcome preferable to death, in that the family of the criminal may prefer it.

For the individual themselves, the more humane thing is clearly death, since oblivion is less of a hassle than disability.

I was agreeing more with the part about it being stupid, because blinded they'll become a burden on society.  Not that every blind person is per se a burden on society, but you know if we did this in the West, we'd end up paying for their rehabilitation.

Slargos

Quote from: dps on May 14, 2011, 03:45:53 PM
Quote from: Slargos on May 14, 2011, 03:40:53 PM

Bingo.

I was agreeing more with the part about it being stupid, because blinded they'll become a burden on society.  Not that every blind person is per se a burden on society, but you know if we did this in the West, we'd end up paying for their rehabilitation.

Oh, then I withdraw my objection.

Still, we're paying for the rehabilitation of criminals in the west as well, both through the penal system and through recidivism. So it's not necessarily that far fetched.

The cost of an inmate in a Swedish prison is AFAIK between 2000 - 3000 SEK per day, or ~300-400 USD.

I wonder... what would the upkeep cost be of a three-strikes permanent blinding?  :hmm:

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Cecil

Of the limited number of things I get upset about I judge this one not high enough up on the list.

Pat

Quote from: Slargos on May 14, 2011, 03:49:06 PM
The cost of an inmate in a Swedish prison is AFAIK between 2000 - 3000 SEK per day, or ~300-400 USD.

Wtf. Source?

Slargos

Quote from: citizen k on May 15, 2011, 01:46:09 AM
Don't know Slarg's source, but here's one.

http://www.kvv.se/sv/Statistik/Kostnader-lon-och-sysselsattning/

My source is, as usual, the gathered consciousness of the International Racist Collective, but I guess it never hurts to be able to cite an official source.  :sleep:

Cecil

A small sum in comparison to what we pay for the upkeep of all those defective children the immigrants keep popping out by keeping up with their ancient customs of fucking their cousins.  :P

Slargos

Quote from: Cecil on May 15, 2011, 03:11:01 AM
A small sum in comparison to what we pay for the upkeep of all those defective children the immigrants keep popping out by keeping up with their ancient customs of fucking their cousins.  :P

Considering the majority of the expensive inmates are in fact immigrants or the children of immigrants, that's double-whammy right there.  :P

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points