Arizona outlaws abortions based on race and sex

Started by jimmy olsen, March 30, 2011, 05:38:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on March 31, 2011, 12:00:24 PM
Agreed.  Birth control would ideally be default circumstance, with the partners having to both take action to allow contraception to be possible.  I, like you, am not convinced this is scientifically impossible, but agree that it is politically impossible in the US, due to the fact that sex, not pregnancy/abortion, is the issue in contention.
I would imagine that perfect control over reproductive functions is quite a negative evolutionary trait.  I would guess that quite a lot of population growth comes from unplanned (but not necessarily unwanted) pregnancies.

Maximus

I'd guess physical evolution of humans is pretty much nonexistent at this point anyway.

DGuller

Quote from: Maximus on March 31, 2011, 06:36:01 PM
I'd guess physical evolution of humans is pretty much nonexistent at this point anyway.
How can it be non-existant?  If anything, humans now probably evolve at the fastest ever rate, just because our environment is changing at the fastest ever rate.

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 31, 2011, 06:25:04 PM
A hundred years from now when we're all born with inheritable neural implants made from nanites women will be able to control their reproductive cycle with conscious thought. :yes:
:bleeding:
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on March 31, 2011, 06:40:16 PM
Quote from: Maximus on March 31, 2011, 06:36:01 PM
How can it be non-existant?  If anything, humans now probably evolve at the fastest ever rate, just because our environment is changing at the fastest ever rate.
Actually, our environment changes not at all, for the vast majority of the population.  Clothing, fire, air conditioning, and the like have obviated the need to adapt to the physical environment, so birth control probably isn't an evolutionary disadvantage given the lack of evolution.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tonitrus

Quote from: Neil on March 31, 2011, 06:47:15 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 31, 2011, 06:25:04 PM
A hundred years from now when we're all born with inheritable neural implants made from nanites women will be able to control their reproductive cycle with conscious thought. :yes:
:bleeding:

Better be careful what you're thinking about ladies, or you might inadvertently thought-abort your baby!

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on March 31, 2011, 07:48:49 PM
Actually, our environment changes not at all, for the vast majority of the population.  Clothing, fire, air conditioning, and the like have obviated the need to adapt to the physical environment, so birth control probably isn't an evolutionary disadvantage given the lack of evolution.

We've had extensive air conditioning for what, 50 or 60 years? Way too early to be discussing AC in this context.

Changes to human society & technology are happening at a faster rate now than ever before. These can affect the gene pool in various ways. Still, one would hardly expect to be able to see evolutionary change over a single lifetime. That doesn't mean it's stopped.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

AC has allowed a significant population migration from the northern US to the south. Population transfers cause different populations to breed together that didn't before. This causes a change the likelyhood of certain genes being passed on. This is evolution.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on March 31, 2011, 07:48:49 PM
The removal of need to adapt to physical environment is precisely the driver for evolution.  In an effect it is a change in environment as far as human are concerned.  Once you can cope with same facet of physical environment with the help of technology, you don't have to be naturally adept at coping with it.  Humans would still have fur if they didn't invent clothing.

Ed Anger

QuoteHumans would still have fur if they didn't invent clothing.

Speaking of fur, look up 'Demi Moore Naked' in google with safe search off.  :D
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 31, 2011, 08:24:37 PM
Changes to human society & technology are happening at a faster rate now than ever before. These can affect the gene pool in various ways. Still, one would hardly expect to be able to see evolutionary change over a single lifetime. That doesn't mean it's stopped.
Of course not.  Regardless of how quickly the gene frequency changes, the pace of change is still far, far too slow for someone to reliably observe during one's lifetime.  That doesn't mean that there is no change happening, or that those slow rates of change aren't variable.

DGuller

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 31, 2011, 08:35:57 PM

I see a bad boob job.  Am I supposed to see anything else?  :unsure:

Ed Anger

Quote from: DGuller on March 31, 2011, 08:41:06 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 31, 2011, 08:35:57 PM

I see a bad boob job.  Am I supposed to see anything else?  :unsure:

There is one where she has a massive fur burger.

I can't give the link now, there are kids roaming around.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive