Arizona outlaws abortions based on race and sex

Started by jimmy olsen, March 30, 2011, 05:38:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on March 30, 2011, 02:27:10 PM
Quote from: Zanza2 on March 30, 2011, 02:26:24 PM
I thought you don't have to give a reason for abortion in America...?

You don't.  The law makes no sense.

Yeah this has been my first thought too.

What's up with Arizona and whacky laws? First the apartheid-style anti-immigration law, now thought police style anti-abortion law.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on March 30, 2011, 02:40:59 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 30, 2011, 02:27:10 PM
Quote from: Zanza2 on March 30, 2011, 02:26:24 PM
I thought you don't have to give a reason for abortion in America...?

You don't.  The law makes no sense.

Yeah this has been my first thought too.

What's up with Arizona and whacky laws? First the apartheid-style anti-immigration law, now thought police style anti-abortion law.

To be fair, this second law seems to be in a different direction. After all, it is preventing the deaths of non-whites.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on March 30, 2011, 02:40:59 PM
Too much sunlight bakes one's brain? :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: dps on March 30, 2011, 02:16:23 PM
I can't see how it could stand, frankly.  But as screwed up as our judiciary has become, who knows?
On what basis do you see the law challenged?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on March 30, 2011, 03:29:13 PM
Quote from: dps on March 30, 2011, 02:16:23 PM
I can't see how it could stand, frankly.  But as screwed up as our judiciary has become, who knows?
On what basis do you see the law challenged?

Right you need a case to challenge the law on.

What might one do?  Sue for the right to abort your baby because it is a girl when you can already do so for no reason at all?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on March 30, 2011, 03:30:16 PM

What might one do?  Sue for the right to abort your baby because it is a girl when you can already do so for no reason at all?
I am aware of no "right to abort your baby" for which one could sue.  RvW was decided on privacy grounds, and explicitly noted that there was no right to an abortion; that the state had a compelling interest and so could ban abortion in the third trimester, with a few exceptions.

If this law forces disclosure of the grounds for abortion in the first trimester, then it could be challenged on that basis; if it simply makes illegal things which would be illegal anyway, one presumably couldn't challenge.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on March 30, 2011, 03:36:59 PM

I am aware of no "right to abort your baby" for which one could sue.  RvW was decided on privacy grounds, and explicitly noted that there was no right to an abortion; that the state had a compelling interest and so could ban abortion in the third trimester, with a few exceptions.

If this law forces disclosure of the grounds for abortion in the first trimester, then it could be challenged on that basis; if it simply makes illegal things which would be illegal anyway, one presumably couldn't challenge.

Sorry Grumbles.  Poor word choice on my part.

dps

The state would have to demonstrate a compelling state interest in restricting abortions during the first trimester.  The challange would of course be that the state has no compelling interest here.

stjaba

Grumbler, you need to review Planned Parenthood v. Casey http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=6298856056242550994&q=505+US+833&hl=en&as_sdt=40003, which is a more recent case than Roe v. Wade, and which is the foundation of current abortion jurisprudence. Casey did not explicitly reject the privacy justification, but it did reformulate the right to terminate pregnancy as explicitly protected under the liberty interest in the due process clause. Casey recognized the right to terminate an abortion. What Casey also recognized is that this is not an absolute right; the state has an interest in the life of the fetus after it obtains viability. The trimester distinction in Roe v. Wade was dropped. 

As DPS  basically stated, going forward, the test is whether a disputed law burden places a substantial obstacle in the path of a woman seeking an pre-viability abortion.

Ancient Demon

Quote from: Valmy on March 30, 2011, 11:55:06 AMI wish anti-abortion activists would instead try to find new and creative ways to prevent unwanted pregnancies and thus work to make the whole point of abortions moot.  Trying to use the power of the state without addressing the root cause of the problem seems destined to fail IMO.

Ah well maybe they do donate alot of money to those efforts as well.

This will never happen, because generally the more opposed to abortion someone is, the more likely they also oppose measures like the morning after pill, availability of condoms, sex education in schools, or the very concept of family planning itself.

Long story short, most pro-lifers support anything that increases birth rates, and oppose anything that reduces them.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Valmy

Quote from: Ancient Demon on March 30, 2011, 07:36:05 PM
This will never happen, because generally the more opposed to abortion someone is, the more likely they also oppose measures like the morning after pill, availability of condoms, sex education in schools, or the very concept of family planning itself.

Long story short, most pro-lifers support anything that increases birth rates, and oppose anything that reduces them.

I wish they would study history then because large amounts of infanticide and child abandonment occured prior to birth control and abortions.

Tonitrus

Well, as long as "whim" remains legal, this is pretty much unenforceable...except on the significantly stupid.

sbr

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 30, 2011, 09:00:58 PM
Well, as long as "whim" remains legal, this is pretty much unenforceable...except on the significantly stupid.

And we should encourage them to get abortions.

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on March 30, 2011, 08:52:32 PM
Quote from: Ancient Demon on March 30, 2011, 07:36:05 PM

I wish they would study history then because large amounts of infanticide and child abandonment occured prior to birth control and abortions.

But if you are of the view that abortion and infanticide are morally equivalent, there is almost certainly a higher rate of those (in combination) today than in the  past. Throw in birth control ( :rolleyes:), and we are shutting out a strong majority of potential lives.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014