The Cause of the American Civil War and the US Citizenship Test

Started by jimmy olsen, March 29, 2011, 06:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 30, 2011, 06:49:56 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 29, 2011, 07:44:44 PM
Aside from 3rd world self-determination an argument can be easily made for all of those.

Aside from 3rd world self-determination they're all different characterizations of the same thing.
Hmm...No.

I see Russian military expansion as synonymous with the argument on Great Power rivalries, and the economics argument as synonymous with the Communism argument but I wouldn't say the first two are the same as the last two.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martim Silva

QuoteH
Unbelievably,the official study guide for the U.S. citizenship test still lists three acceptable answers for the question about the causes of the Civil War: slavery, economic reasons and states' rights. The latter two answers, as Gov. Barbour now freely admits, are simply wrong. In fact, they are worse than wrong, because they obscure a central fact about American history. As Barbour put it, "the Civil War was necessary to bring about the abolition of slavery. Abolishing slavery was morally imperative and necessary, and it's regrettable that it took the Civil War to do it. But it did.

It that why Ulysses S. Grant was a slave owner, and he kept owning slaves even when he became President, years after the end of the Civil War?

Riiiiiight.

Habbaku

Quote from: Martim Silva on March 30, 2011, 09:59:59 AM
It that why Ulysses S. Grant was a slave owner, and he kept owning slaves even when he became President, years after the end of the Civil War?

:lmfao:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

QuoteH
Unbelievably,the official study guide for the U.S. citizenship test still lists three acceptable answers for the question about the causes of the Civil War: slavery, economic reasons and states' rights. The latter two answers, as Gov. Barbour now freely admits, are simply wrong. In fact, they are worse than wrong, because they obscure a central fact about American history. As Barbour put it, "the Civil War was necessary to bring about the abolition of slavery. Abolishing slavery was morally imperative and necessary, and it's regrettable that it took the Civil War to do it. But it did.

Riiiiiight.
He owned one slave before the war that he bought from his wife's father. Don't know what your yammering on about. He did far more to fight for Civil Rights than any President between him and LBJ.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

:huh: That's beside the point, as Martisilva's assertion that Grant kept owning slaves when he was President, well after slavery was illegal, is in and of itself laughable.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 30, 2011, 03:07:20 AM
Some certainly did.  No idea how many though.

Pretty safe to say a majority opposed slavery, but I doubt a majority ever had that as their prime motivation.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Quote from: Caliga on March 30, 2011, 10:15:49 AM
:huh: That's beside the point, as Martisilva's assertion that Grant kept owning slaves when he was President, well after slavery was illegal, is in and of itself laughable.

Grant was a capitalist. He had servants working for him in the White House.

All servants who do not own their own labor are slaves. Therefore Grant was a slaveowner.

This really is not the complicated.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on March 30, 2011, 10:23:26 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 30, 2011, 03:07:20 AM
Some certainly did.  No idea how many though.

Pretty safe to say a majority opposed slavery, but I doubt a majority ever had that as their prime motivation.

This is kind of a silly point though.

I would say the one common principal those who fought for the north would espouse was saving the Union.

The reason the Union was potentially broken was the issue of slavery.

So no, I don't think most soldiers fought to free the slaves. They fought to save the Union. But the only reason the Union was in danger was slavery.

0 rows returned

Ed Anger

lets see.

Oklahoma is close to declaring independence, cajun restaurants are being closed due to anti-french feelings and now Grant owned slaves after the civil war.

Portugal is awesome.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Riiiiiight.

His cousin's roommate's brother-in-law's great-great-grandfather was the Portuguese Ambassador during the Grant Administration.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

QuoteH

Riiiiiight.

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

Quote from: Razgovory on March 30, 2011, 11:24:24 AM
QuoteH

Riiiiiight.

Gotta be nice to know you aren't the nuttiest dude on the board!

0 rows returned

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 30, 2011, 10:42:02 AM
Oklahoma is close to declaring independence
:lol:

He must be a fan of that crazy Russian professor.  IIRC the USA was going to break up in early 2011, according to him. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on March 30, 2011, 10:15:49 AM

Hey, who do you think wrote his memoirs?  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Maximus

Quote from: Martinus on March 30, 2011, 02:02:33 AM
Is this a multiple choice test or you have to write in the answer?
It's a verbal exam, not multiple-choice. It's 3(I think, maybe a few more) questions picked randomly from a list. The list is public. Not very hard.