Calling all lawyers (and other sundry old people)

Started by Count, March 24, 2011, 04:06:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Count

i'm back! So, a quick life update:

I graduated from undergrad last year (umass!). This year I'm screwing around in Northampton (not literally, sadly) and working at a pizza place. Next year I'm going to law school. I'm waiting to hear back from most places, but I got into Columbia. So suck it. I'm excited, but I'm getting cold feet.

I'm considering deferring for a year so I can spend some more time enjoying life (I'd be aiming for a Boston job in the legal world to build my resume), save up a bit of money (that would be a drop in the bucket considering the cost of law school- but what's 200,000 dollars between friends?) maybe do some traveling (these goals seem contradictory, but aren't I supposed to "do some traveling" at this point in my life?), and clear my head.

Right now I'm staring at law school, a career as a lawyer, retirement, and death. It's a little terrifying. And so bloody conventional. I'm fairly confident this moment will pass, I won't end up deferring, and I'll just attend law school next year, but any thoughts? I figured the best advice I could get would be from semi-anonymous people on an internet forum I haven't posted on in years (I have memories, though. Memories!).

and for the lawyers: does anybody actually like the big corporate law firm jobs? and does it matter? (no guarantee I'd get one of those jobs, but they pay... slightly more than I make delivering pizzas)

How youse guys been?
I am CountDeMoney's inner child, who appears mysteriously every few years

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Monoriu

The most precious asset you have is your time.  The number of income generating years that you have is a finite number.  An extra year spent doing nothing is a year's worth of salary forgone.  That's a pretty big number. 

I suggest attenting law school ASAP. 

And welcome back  :hug:

Caliga

Quote from: Monoriu on March 24, 2011, 04:21:06 AM
The most precious asset you have is your time.  The number of income generating years that you have is a finite number.  An extra year spent doing nothing is a year's worth of salary forgone.  That's a pretty big number. 
:cool: I agree.  I look down at hippies that think they are entitled to spend a year 'finding themselves in Indonesia' (I'm looking at you, Malthus).  Here's a knuckle sandwich for you to find, filthy hippie. :menace:

Anyway, welcome back Count. :hug:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

lustindarkness

Welcome back. My 2 pennies: If "travelling the world to find yourself" does not include the military, go straight to law school.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

katmai

The three previous posters are all morons, cretins and idiots.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Caliga

Quote from: lustindarkness on March 24, 2011, 04:49:33 AM
Welcome back. My 2 pennies: If "travelling the world to find yourself" does not include the military, go straight to law school.
Travelling the world as a soldier: acceptable. :hug:

Count

aww I missed you guys. Traveling would be restricted to europe (most of the world seems fucking horrible).

fuck, who am I kidding. I'll go. UNLESS SOMEONE SAYS OTHERWISE PLEASE GOD

Caliga

Well, if you insist on being a filthy hippie, I guess this is the time to do it. :)

Count

Quote from: Caliga on March 24, 2011, 05:32:13 AM
Well, if you insist on being a filthy hippie, I guess this is the time to do it. :)

i can shave my sideburns AND i've already stopped smoking pot. but goddammit I like my sideburns.

what's with these spam filters?

Monoriu

Quote from: Count on March 24, 2011, 05:30:41 AM
aww I missed you guys. Traveling would be restricted to europe (most of the world seems fucking horrible).

OTHERWISE PLEASE GOD

Valdemar

I took a year out, but that was after highschool. Gave me good language skills, taught me some measure of selfreliance and a tolerance of other cultures, in this case the US, which is greatly neede here at languish, and at work for a big 4 consultancy firm with ALOT of USian mannerisms :p

Now, ofc if you intend to stay inside the US and only deal with Amuricans, then that wont help you :D

V

Count

Quote from: Monoriu on March 24, 2011, 05:35:50 AM

OTHERWISE PLEASE GOD

i meant i'll go to law school, not europe. but I will assume you understood that and wanted me to take more time off, and I will now dedicate my life to becoming "self-actualized"

Monoriu

Quote from: Valdemar on March 24, 2011, 05:38:19 AM
I took a year out, but that was after highschool. Gave me good language skills, taught me some measure of selfreliance and a tolerance of other cultures, in this case the US, which is greatly neede here at languish, and at work for a big 4 consultancy firm with ALOT of USian mannerisms :p

It is not necessary to take a year off to learn good language skills, or achieve self-reliance.  There are many other ways. 

Monoriu

Quote from: Count on March 24, 2011, 05:40:48 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on March 24, 2011, 05:35:50 AM

OTHERWISE PLEASE GOD

i meant i'll go to law school, not europe. but I will assume you understood that and wanted me to take more time off, and I will now dedicate my life to becoming "self-actualized"

:hug:

Don't just go to law school.  Make sure you pick one of the streams that'll make big bucks.  Whatever that maybe  :showoff: