Calling all lawyers (and other sundry old people)

Started by Count, March 24, 2011, 04:06:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Count on March 24, 2011, 04:06:14 AM
Right now I'm staring at law school, a career as a lawyer, retirement, and death. It's a little terrifying.

I imagine a career as a lawyer would be.  Welcome back.

Valdemar

Quote from: Monoriu on March 24, 2011, 05:43:44 AM

It is not necessary to take a year off to learn good language skills, or achieve self-reliance.  There are many other ways.

OFC there are, but you don't truly get to learn a language unless you talk it all the time with natives... just like you did in Vancouver I presume :)

V

Grey Fox

You can try to travel for only a month or so. Do it in India. Once you are there, it's fairly cheap. Vietnam would be better but I'm unsure how they treat Americans.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Gups

Deffo take a year off. One day you'll be 40 with a mortgage and kids and have only an fortnight off a year in some kid friedly place.

You know whose last words were "I wish I'd spent more time in the office"? Nobody.

Corporate work pays well. I've never done it but my impression is that it is largely due diligence - long hours of ticking boxes with no real law involved. If you want to do something intellectually interesting but which still pays well, tax law would be a good call.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on March 24, 2011, 04:24:06 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on March 24, 2011, 04:21:06 AM
The most precious asset you have is your time.  The number of income generating years that you have is a finite number.  An extra year spent doing nothing is a year's worth of salary forgone.  That's a pretty big number. 
:cool: I agree.  I look down at hippies that think they are entitled to spend a year 'finding themselves in Indonesia' (I'm looking at you, Malthus).  Here's a knuckle sandwich for you to find, filthy hippie. :menace:

I'll interpret that as American for "have a nice day".  ;)

Anyway,

I'd say go for some travel. If you do go into law, you will not be able to do it later, and if you don't, you will regret it. I'm happy I did it.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

KRonn

After all your hard work, make sure to enjoy some of your time, the summer. Do some traveling maybe, USA or where ever.    :)

Camerus

What Malthus and Gups said.  Take a year and travel.

Berkut

Take the year, if you can manage it.

You will have plenty of time to work. And work. And work.

Welcome back.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

stjaba

I'm in my second year of law school right now, and I agree with everyone else's advice. Plus, deferring a year means that you will defer one year of entering the work force, which may not actually be a bad thing in this economy. Obviously, as long as you pretty well at Columbia, you should have plenty of opportunities, but there are definitely people at Columbia and other elite schools who aren't getting good 2L summer jobs, which is pretty much the kiss of death if you want to work in a corporate law firm and quickly pay off your 6 figure debt. Last summer, when I was a 1L, I interned at the US Attorney's Office and one of my fellow interns was a 2L from Columbia. He told me he was going to graduate with around 180k in debt and he was working for free* alongside me.  :yuk:

*I think he was getting some sort of stipend from Columbia, but it wasn't significant.

Savonarola

If you're going to see the world don't go to Australia or Western Europe.  Man up and go to Africa, the Middle East, latin America or India, you'll save money, you'll have much better stories, have a much broader perspective, and you'll learn how to rely on yourself.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ed Anger

Quote from: Savonarola on March 24, 2011, 09:00:12 AM
If you're going to see the world don't go to Australia or Western Europe.  Man up and go to Africa, the Middle East, latin America or India, you'll save money, you'll have much better stories, have a much broader perspective, and you'll learn how to rely on yourself.

Plus, you'll get cholera.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Martinus