News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

The risk of getting my ass kicked by Trudeau is too high for me.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on July 08, 2016, 02:03:14 PM
Quote from: Jacob on July 08, 2016, 02:01:38 PM
Any Canadians here fancy being a Senator? Now there's an application process: http://ipolitics.ca/2016/07/07/government-completes-reform-of-senate-appointment-process/

Do you have to move to Ottawa? Because that might be a deal-breaker for everybody on this board.

No you don't have to move there.  But if you do move there you can't claim that you still live in your cabin on PEI though.

And I've said it before, and I'll say it again - this is a terrible idea that will blow up in Trudeau's face sooner or later.  These are lifetime appointments with zero accountability and a huge ability to stop the legislative process.  If you actually try to give them some kind of legitimacy and respectability they might start to actually use that power.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 08, 2016, 02:13:31 PM
The risk of getting my ass kicked by Trudeau is too high for me.

As long as you watch out for the elbows, you will be okay.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on July 08, 2016, 02:20:13 PM
No you don't have to move there.  But if you do move there you can't claim that you still live in your cabin on PEI though.

And I've said it before, and I'll say it again - this is a terrible idea that will blow up in Trudeau's face sooner or later.  These are lifetime appointments with zero accountability and a huge ability to stop the legislative process.  If you actually try to give them some kind of legitimacy and respectability they might start to actually use that power.

Not sure how canvassing nominations from the population confers any legitimacy that they didn't have previously - ultimately they're still appointments by the sitting government.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on July 08, 2016, 02:33:22 PM

Not sure how canvassing nominations from the population confers any legitimacy that they didn't have previously - ultimately they're still appointments by the sitting government.

In the past they were always seen as political hacks.  Besides as members of caucus they were all subject to the party whips who had various ways to influence how they would vote (office and committee assignments, some senators have been made ministers, that sort of thing).

If this process is seen as nominating people independent of party affiliation, and are no longer subject to whipping, wel they're going to be a pretty independent lot.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

dps

Quote from: Barrister on July 08, 2016, 02:36:25 PM
Quote from: Jacob on July 08, 2016, 02:33:22 PM

In the past they were always seen as political hacks.  Besides as members of caucus they were all subject to the party whips who had various ways to influence how they would vote (office and committee assignments, some senators have been made ministers, that sort of thing).

If this process is seen as nominating people independent of party affiliation, and are no longer subject to whipping, wel they're going to be a pretty independent lot.

Some of our Senators should be whipped.  Some Representatives too, or at least put in stocks.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Monoriu

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on July 25, 2016, 10:08:04 PM
Because it is cheaper? 
yes, but it comes with an hefty non monetary price tag.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Monoriu

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on July 25, 2016, 10:15:29 PM
Quote from: viper37 on July 25, 2016, 10:10:55 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on July 25, 2016, 10:08:04 PM
Because it is cheaper? 
yes, but it comes with an hefty non monetary price tag.

Such as?  :unsure:
they finance an extreme version of islam, through coranic schools and "charities" all over the world that serve as breeding ground for jihadists.

Monoriu

Quote from: viper37 on July 25, 2016, 10:19:34 PM

they finance an extreme version of islam, through coranic schools and "charities" all over the world that serve as breeding ground for jihadists.

That's certainly unpleasant.  But even if Canada doesn't buy oil from Saudi Arabia, somebody else will.  Even if Canada doesn't buy oil from Saudi Arabia, you will have to buy oil from other unpleasant regimes, like Russia, Iran, Venezuela, Libya etc.  Is it worthwhile to make a political point by making millions of ordinary Canadians use more expensive oil?

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on July 25, 2016, 10:28:10 PM
That's certainly unpleasant.  But even if Canada doesn't buy oil from Saudi Arabia, somebody else will.  Even if Canada doesn't buy oil from Saudi Arabia, you will have to buy oil from other unpleasant regimes, like Russia, Iran, Venezuela, Libya etc.  Is it worthwhile to make a political point by making millions of ordinary Canadians use more expensive oil?
There's short terme, mid term and long term policies.
Short term, stop buying their oil.  At least your conscience is allright.
Mid to long terme: transition to green energy. That's under way.  Give it another 50 years, and we won't need oil as much as we do now.

That's why I thought Kyoto was a good thing.

Once a country manages that, others will follow.  Yes, even China Mono ;)

Valmy

Green energy doesn't address oil consumption unless you plan on transitioning to electric vehicles.

But I was under the impression Canada was a major oil producer. Why are you importing?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on July 26, 2016, 10:34:07 AM
Green energy doesn't address oil consumption unless you plan on transitioning to electric vehicles.

But I was under the impression Canada was a major oil producer. Why are you importing?

Transporting West to East is hard.

Our refineries are in the East.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.