News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: HVC on April 22, 2016, 08:16:29 PM
Vipers pathologically anti liberal. If they had upheld the original deal he'd complain that the liberals buckled to the union pressure 😀
Nope.  I will recognize their good shot when they happen.  Don't blame me if they are near totally inept at governing.

Mélanie Joly's cultural revolution, to push culture into the 21st century, appears to be a good move, designed to lessened the reliance on state funding from the artistic industry.  I disagree with some of her orientations/policies, but I think holding the exercise is a totally valid thing to do.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

Quote from: viper37 on April 20, 2016, 01:30:03 PM
He never trained before he decided to take on Brazeau.  He did it very seriously, more than Brazeau, obviously, but he never done it before.

Do you have a source for this?

Because the public record says this:
QuoteMr. Trudeau, who has been boxing for about 20 years, said his jaw was left hurting slightly afterwards.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/just-watch-him-trudeau-victorious-in-charity-boxing-bout-with-tory-senator/article4097241/

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on April 25, 2016, 03:12:47 PM
Quote from: viper37 on April 20, 2016, 01:30:03 PM
He never trained before he decided to take on Brazeau.  He did it very seriously, more than Brazeau, obviously, but he never done it before.

Do you have a source for this?

Because the public record says this:
QuoteMr. Trudeau, who has been boxing for about 20 years, said his jaw was left hurting slightly afterwards.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/just-watch-him-trudeau-victorious-in-charity-boxing-bout-with-tory-senator/article4097241/
The documentary never mentionned any training, afaik, but I could have missed it.
http://productionsdelaruelle.com/PDLRweb/en/our-productions/god-save-justin-trudeau-e/
It costs 5$ to rent, all profits goes to Liberal Party supporters hoping to get more cultural funding in the future ;)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

Quote from: viper37 on April 25, 2016, 10:24:50 PM
The documentary never mentionned any training, afaik, but I could have missed it.
http://productionsdelaruelle.com/PDLRweb/en/our-productions/god-save-justin-trudeau-e/
It costs 5$ to rent, all profits goes to Liberal Party supporters hoping to get more cultural funding in the future ;)

So one documentary didn't mention any training? That's not particularly compelling evidence that he never trained before.

viper37

Given that it focuses on his fights, and no media I've read, save for your G&M article ever reported it, yes, it is some form of evidence.  Not definite proof of anything, but enough to raise suspicions that he was not as trained as Brazeau once was.

crazy canuck

Viper, if you are right, doesn't that make Trudeau even more badass?  Either way, Trudeau comes out looking pretty good.

Jacob

Quote from: viper37 on April 26, 2016, 01:23:15 PM
Given that it focuses on his fights, and no media I've read, save for your G&M article ever reported it, yes, it is some form of evidence.  Not definite proof of anything, but enough to raise suspicions that he was not as trained as Brazeau once was.

:lol:

Okay.

Maybe he beat Brazeau with only a few weeks intensive training, rather than having been into boxing for quite a while (I've read that elsewhere as well, but the "Jacob googles shit for you" service is only good for one go-around per issue), but getting good enough to beat the black belt tough guy who outmasses him in just a few weeks is pretty damn badass too so I don't think it's as winning a point for the "Trudeau is just the *WORST*" argument as you seem to think.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 26, 2016, 02:02:43 PM
Viper, if you are right, doesn't that make Trudeau even more badass?  Either way, Trudeau comes out looking pretty good.
I don't think Georges St-Pierre would make a good Prime Minister, even if I like the guy and I believe him to be highly intelligent and the ultimate bad-ass, only defeated by Captain America so far ;)

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on April 26, 2016, 03:40:20 PM
Quote from: viper37 on April 26, 2016, 01:23:15 PM

:lol:

Okay.

Maybe he beat Brazeau with only a few weeks intensive training, rather than having been into boxing for quite a while (I've read that elsewhere as well, but the "Jacob googles shit for you" service is only good for one go-around per issue), but getting good enough to beat the black belt tough guy who outmasses him in just a few weeks is pretty damn badass too so I don't think it's as winning a point for the "Trudeau is just the *WORST*" argument as you seem to think.
Brazeau was out of shape and he did not train for the fight figuring it would be a cake walk.  That is all I see in this publicity stunt.

viper37

Quote from: viper37 on April 25, 2016, 10:53:46 AM
Quote from: HVC on April 22, 2016, 08:16:29 PM
Vipers pathologically anti liberal. If they had upheld the original deal he'd complain that the liberals buckled to the union pressure 😀
Nope.  I will recognize their good shot when they happen.  Don't blame me if they are near totally inept at governing.

ah, a second good thing in two weeks.  I am impressed.  They are not totally inept at governing.

EDIT: I'm talking about Trudeau not negotiating with terrorists.

Jacob

Quote from: viper37 on April 27, 2016, 08:46:56 AMBrazeau was out of shape and he did not train for the fight figuring it would be a cake walk.  That is all I see in this publicity stunt.

Ah, so Trudeau outsmarted Brazeau. Fair enough.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

frunk

Some horses refuse to be resurrected despite all the beatings.

Jacob

So recent news in BC is that Christy Clark - our premier and leader of the BC Liberal Party (which is more of a Conservative party when looking at federal alignment, but not completely so) has been receiving a bonus from the party based on the fundraising done by the party. Last year she got about $50,000, apparently tax deductible too.

BB and CC - I honestly don't have that much insight into that kind of detail in how political parties operate in Canada, so I'm curious on your take on this. Where on the scale of "this is egregiously scandalous and corrupt, she really ought to resign" to "meh, that's how things are done; it can be spun as a bad thing, but it's really not a big deal unless you're motivated by partisanship" do you reckon this falls?

Oexmelin

It's the kind of incentives that pushed the Quebec liberals to get in bed with corporate donors to reach a quota of 100,000$ per minister and elaborate a system of corruption to sustain those pressures. Jean Charest similarly got a bonus from the party, which on a purely symbolic level is terrible.
Que le grand cric me croque !