News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ancient Demon

Conservatives just won a landslide victory in Manitoba, after 16 years of NDP rule. Not sure if anyone else noticed.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on April 19, 2016, 08:40:53 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 19, 2016, 08:28:11 AM
Or one could conclude - a Prime Minister who shows an interest in science
when in front of a camera? sure.

That is itself a change...

Barrister

Quote from: Ancient Demon on April 19, 2016, 09:31:43 PM
Conservatives just won a landslide victory in Manitoba, after 16 years of NDP rule. Not sure if anyone else noticed.

I very much noticed, and have been following the campaign.  :punk:

I'm very, very happy that my buddy Stephen Fletcher, the former federal MP who is a quadriplegic, just won a seat provincially in Assiniboia. :yeah:

So do you know what else happened 16 years ago?  I left Manitoba after an NDP win.  Now technically I had accepted the Alberta job before the '99 election (where I had been a provincial PC campaign manager), but it had seemed fitting at the time.

I wonder - now that Manitoba has a right-wing government, and Alberta has a left-wing government, perhaps it's time to go back home? :hmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

PRC

He may have interests and hobbies outside of the spotlight that coalesce in this story.

Drakken

Quote from: Ancient Demon on April 19, 2016, 09:31:43 PM

Johanna Wood has not won her bid in Fort Garry-Riverview.

I'm officially sad. :(

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on April 19, 2016, 10:15:56 PM
I wonder - now that Manitoba has a right-wing government, and Alberta has a left-wing government, perhaps it's time to go back home? :hmm:
No you can't.  According to Malthus, there are significant cultural differences between provinces that would lead to serious misadaptation from your wife and your kids exposed to this radically different culture. ;)

But, sure, why not? :)  Manitoba seems a nice place.  It might get better with a decent government too, I don't know :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: PRC on April 19, 2016, 10:17:28 PM

He may have interests and hobbies outside of the spotlight that coalesce in this story.
he developped an interest in boxing when it was a way to get the spotlight on him, to prepare for his leadership race.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josephus

Quote from: viper37 on April 20, 2016, 09:04:14 AM
Quote from: PRC on April 19, 2016, 10:17:28 PM

he developped an interest in boxing when it was a way to get the spotlight on him, to prepare for his leadership race.

Can't believe a politician would try to get the spotlight before a leadership race. The nerve of the guy.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Wab Kinew won his seat.  He is a very impressive orator.  Someone to watch for the future.

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on April 20, 2016, 10:04:44 AM
Can't believe a politician would try to get the spotlight before a leadership race. The nerve of the guy.
So you believe he always had an interest in boxing? :)

Drakken

Quote from: viper37 on April 20, 2016, 10:40:22 AM

Why not? His father had trained as a boxer in his youth, I am sure he passed that interest to his son.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 20, 2016, 10:09:16 AM
Wab Kinew won his seat.  He is a very impressive orator.  Someone to watch for the future.

All I know is my dad can't stand the guy.  I don't know much about him myself.

Legal pot legislation is coming spring 2017.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/philpott-un-marijuana-legislation-legalize-1.3544554
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on April 20, 2016, 01:13:05 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 20, 2016, 10:09:16 AM

All I know is my dad can't stand the guy.  I don't know much about him myself.

Legal pot legislation is coming spring 2017.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/philpott-un-marijuana-legislation-legalize-1.3544554

I have heard Kinew speak.  He is very effective.  One of those rare orators who can bring their audience through a full range of emotions.

What doesn't your father like about him, besides the fact he is NDP?

On the legislation, it is a lot work to make sure the appropriate regulations are in place.  I think Mulcair's comment was a cheap shot.

viper37

Quote from: Drakken on April 20, 2016, 01:11:28 PM
Quote from: viper37 on April 20, 2016, 10:40:22 AM

Why not? His father had trained as a boxer in his youth, I am sure he passed that interest to his son.
He never trained before he decided to take on Brazeau.  He did it very seriously, more than Brazeau, obviously, but he never done it before.