News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on January 15, 2016, 12:50:15 PM
Yes, I think O'Leary understands what his role is (though like many entertainers he's really just amplifying aspects of his personality that already exist).  He knows that being "controversial" is what gets him attention.

That being said, while there is a Trump comparison that can be made he really is quite different from Trump.  I've never heard him be accused of being racist or sexist or anything.  His schtick is really just a Gordan Gekko "Greed is Good" defence of capitalism.  He can be kind of crass, but that's about it.

I don't think I'd vote for him as leader (as mentioned, he was actually a kind of shitty CEO), but I certainly wouldn't walk out of the party if he was elected.

He has said such silly things as unions should be outlawed and the law should require that anyone who is a member of a union be imprisoned.  That isn't just being a would be impersonator of Gekko.  That is far right lunacy. 

crazy canuck

Also, on the racism aspect, there is this.

QuoteWhen Lang said there were many Saskatchewan residents who likely believed PotashCorp should remain a Crown corporation indefinitely, O'Leary responded: "You know, you are an Indian giver with a forked tongue. You sold these rights to somebody who paid hard cash for them. Now you don't like it anymore."

Lang responded immediately, saying, "Is there any kind of backward example or statement phrase you want to use? Because that came from the 19th century, and I do not approve."
O'Leary continued: "And you know what? It's appropriate today to say that because what you're suggesting is that you sold these rights for cash to shareholders who took risks and now you want it back. Shame on you."

LaPointe's review says the term "Indian giver" originates with European settlers' mistaken belief that Native American trade goods were actually gifts. It is a derogatory term used to describe someone who gives a gift and later asks for its return.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2011/03/08/cbc_ombud_slams_olearys_offensive_onair_comment.html

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 15, 2016, 02:48:10 PM
Yes, I think O'Leary understands what his role is (though like many entertainers he's really just amplifying aspects of his personality that already exist).  He knows that being "controversial" is what gets him attention.

That being said, while there is a Trump comparison that can be made he really is quite different from Trump.  I've never heard him be accused of being racist or sexist or anything.  His schtick is really just a Gordan Gekko "Greed is Good" defence of capitalism.  He can be kind of crass, but that's about it.

I don't think I'd vote for him as leader (as mentioned, he was actually a kind of shitty CEO), but I certainly wouldn't walk out of the party if he was elected.

He has said such silly things as unions should be outlawed and the law should require that anyone who is a member of a union be imprisoned.  That isn't just being a would be impersonator of Gekko.  That is far right lunacy.

:wub:

I know that unions are unfortunately here to stay, but now I like O'Leary just a little bit more.

As for "Indian giver"... the term is not PC and shouldn't be used, but cut the man some slack - is there any other term out there for when someone gives or sells something, then wants it back?  And using it hardly means he's a racist.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on January 15, 2016, 03:41:39 PMAs for "Indian giver"... the term is not PC and shouldn't be used, but cut the man some slack - is there any other term out there for when someone gives or sells something, then wants it back?  And using it hardly means he's a racist.

I've heard "a Ukrainian bargain" used that way on occasion.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on January 15, 2016, 03:53:46 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 15, 2016, 03:41:39 PMAs for "Indian giver"... the term is not PC and shouldn't be used, but cut the man some slack - is there any other term out there for when someone gives or sells something, then wants it back?  And using it hardly means he's a racist.

Are you just yanking my chain, or is that actually a thing?  First thirty hits on google for "ukrainian bargain" don't seem to support it.

dps

There's "welshing" on a commitment.  Guess that's an ethnic insult, too.

HVC

But welshing is backing out before the agreement is finalized, isn't it?  Like BB I can't think of another term, but o'leary should have doubled down and said it was appropriate to say once it was pointed out.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: dps on January 15, 2016, 05:13:57 PM
There's "welshing" on a commitment.  Guess that's an ethnic insult, too.

I got an old book of nursery rhymes from my parents that supposedly I had as a kid, to give to my kid.

It contained this jem:

QuoteTaffy was a Welshman

Taffy was a Welshman,
Taffy was a thief;
Taffy came to my house
And stole a piece of beef.

I went to Taffy's house,
Taffy was not home;
Taffy came to my house
And stole a marrow bone.

I went to Taffy's house,
Taffy was not in;
Taffy came to my house
And stole a silver pin.

I went to Taffy's house,
Taffy was in bed;
I took up a poker
And threw it at his head

Not sure that this would go over well these days ... !  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on January 15, 2016, 04:00:03 PM
Quote from: Jacob on January 15, 2016, 03:53:46 PM

Are you just yanking my chain, or is that actually a thing?  First thirty hits on google for "ukrainian bargain" don't seem to support it.

Yeah, I'm yanking your chain :hug:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on January 15, 2016, 05:22:43 PM
But welshing is backing out before the agreement is finalized, isn't it?

Welching to me is not paying off a bet.

Or perhaps not fullfulling your end of a bargain after the other party has fulfilled theirs.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on January 15, 2016, 03:41:39 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 15, 2016, 02:48:10 PM

:wub:

I know that unions are unfortunately here to stay, but now I like O'Leary just a little bit more.

Not surprising that far right lunacy would appeal to the Reform wing of the party.  :P

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 15, 2016, 09:42:25 PM
Not surprising that far right lunacy would appeal to the Reform wing of the party.  :P

I sometimes worry I've gone soft and mushy in my politics as I hit middle age.

Thanks for believing I'm still a far right radical CC. :hug:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on January 15, 2016, 11:27:31 PM

I worry about you BB.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 16, 2016, 02:14:52 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 15, 2016, 11:27:31 PM

I worry about you BB.

I'd worry about me if you didn't worry about me.

crazy canuck

I suppose I should say, I worry about an immature right wing in this country that continues to do whatever it can to make the Liberals the natural governing party.  The Liberals are chastened now but a few more years of rule with no real prospect of political challenge will return us to the bad old days of the later years of the Chretian governments.  You know the period of time made possible by another group of right wingers.  If history repeats itself, you will only have yourself to blame.