News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on December 15, 2015, 04:06:18 PM
The Libs have only been in office a month, and already their fiscal policies are looking a trifle disappointing. The middle-class tax cut will not be made up for by tax increases on the wealthy, meaning that instead of a budget deficit used to fund infrastructure spending, it looks like a budget deficit to fund unwise election promised tax cuts - usually something one would expect of a conservative party.

If they make up the difference by increasing the GST, that will be even more disappointing. There is no form of taxation more regressive.

I agree with the first point.  But iirc most economists agree that the GST, with the appropriate exemptions for lower income earners, food etc., is an efficient and fair tax.  I recall a round table discussion the CBC had with economists of all stripes from Unifor to the Chamber of Commerce all agreeing that they would recommend increasing the GST rather than all the other tax policies being proposed by the parties and all agreed that it would never happen because it was politically unsaleable.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 15, 2015, 04:09:41 PM
The Libs have only been in office a month, and already their fiscal policies are looking a trifle disappointing. The middle-class tax cut will not be made up for by tax increases on the wealthy, meaning that instead of a budget deficit used to fund infrastructure spending, it looks like a budget deficit to fund unwise election promised tax cuts - usually something one would expect of a conservative party.

If they make up the difference by increasing the GST, that will be even more disappointing. There is no form of taxation more regressive.

I agree with the first point.  But iirc most economists agree that the GST, with the appropriate exemptions for lower income earners, food etc., is an efficient and fair tax.  I recall a round table discussion the CBC had with economists of all stripes from Unifor to the Chamber of Commerce all agreeing that they would recommend increasing the GST rather than all the other tax policies being proposed by the parties and all agreed that it would never happen because it was politically unsaleable.

I have always been of the opinion that a decently graduated income tax is superior in progressive status to a sales tax however many loopholes are offered, but I'm willing to admit I'm not (thank god) an expert on tax policy.  ;)

Here's an explanation from someone who claims to be (though they do not agree with cutting the GST):

http://economics.about.com/od/incometaxestaxcuts/a/regressive_tax.htm

QuoteNow we've seen the definition of regressivity, we can see why sales taxes are more regressive than income taxes. There's typically three main reasons:

1. Wealthier people spend a small portion of their income on goods and services than poorer people. Wealth is not the same thing as income, but the two are closely related.

2. Income taxes typically have a minimum income level at which you do not have to pay taxes. In Canada, this exemption is for people who make around $8,000 or less. Everyone, however, is forced to pay sales taxes, no matter their income.

3. Most countries do not have a flat tax income rate. Instead the income tax rates are graduated - the higher your income, the higher the tax rate on that income. Sales taxes, however, stay the same no matter your income level.

Policy makers and economists realize that the, on average, citizens are not in favour of regressive rate taxation.

Thus they've taken steps to make their sales taxes less regressive. In Canada the GST is exempt on items like food, which poorer people pay a disproprtionately larger portion of their income on. As well, the government issues GST rebate cheques to lower income households. To their credit, the FairTax lobby proposes giving every citizen a 'prebate' cheque in order to make their proposed sales tax less regressive.

The overall effect is that sales taxes such as the GST is more regressive than other taxes, such as income taxes. Thus a cut in the GST would help low- and medium-income earners more than a similar sized income tax cut. While I am not in favour of a cut in the GST, it would make the Canadian tax system more progressive.

http://economics.about.com/od/incometaxestaxcuts/a/regressive_tax.htm

The point is that Canada uses various techniques to make its sales tax 'less regressive' than it otherwise would be - but it is still, inherently, regressive compared with the alternatives.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

partly true.  It can be compensated by various tax credits given back to low income families.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on December 15, 2015, 03:58:48 PM
Ah, the government is toying with the idea of increasing the GST.  I'm surprised they doing this so quickly.

And that, my friends, is what they call a "trial balloon".

We'll see what kind of response it gets.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 15, 2015, 04:09:41 PM

True, but then you need to lower significantly the income tax to compensate such a measure, otherwise, you reduce disposable income and hurt the economy.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on December 15, 2015, 04:30:23 PM
Ah, the government is toying with the idea of increasing the GST.  I'm surprised they doing this so quickly.

yes I know, but, it's not something you usually throw before your first budget.  First, make a budget, make a deficit.  Then send trial balloons on how to resolve the deficit before the next budget.

Malthus

The overall impression is that they know already that their numbers won't add up (and probably did before they got elected).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on December 15, 2015, 04:32:10 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 15, 2015, 04:30:23 PM

yes I know, but, it's not something you usually throw before your first budget.  First, make a budget, make a deficit.  Then send trial balloons on how to resolve the deficit before the next budget.

Nope.

You make all your hard decisions (such as raising the GST) in your first year.  That way you have "political capital" to spend (everyone'll give them more benefit of a doubt than they will later on), plus there is more time for any negative emotions to fade.

The Liberal numbers never did add up, so now they have to figure out what to do about it.  They can just run larger deficits, but that just makes it harder to erase by 2019.  They've already played the "cupboard is bare" card, which works but only gets you so far. They can cut back on some of their promises, which they'll probably do, but you don't want to do that too much.

And they may well introduce some new taxes as well.

crazy canuck

Malthus,

I agree that a progressive tax system is, in theory, the most equitable way to raise tax revenue. But it is also too easily avoided by higher income earners.  Languish discussed this problem at length in a general tax policy debate in some thread or other a few weeks ago.  That is, if I understand the argument correctly, why most economists in Canada say that a properly structured GST is the best way, as a practical matter, to raise revenue.

@ BB, yep, for sure its a trial balloon.  And I agree that it is a sign of just how badly they had misjudged both the revenue side and the cost of their promises that they are going to turn to this kind of political poison. 

Barrister

Not an enormous fan of skill-testing trivia questions for politicians, but for this one...

In a honours take for Macleans magazine Trudeau was asked a series of 10 questions in 60 seconds.  He did pretty well IMO for some pretty easy softball questions (though he ducked "BC vs Nova Scotia, and "Toyota Prius vs Mercedes SL").

But another question was "What is your favourite Baltic Nation", which he declared "That's not a thing".

:frusty:

Come on man - we're not asking you to pick out Kyrgyzystan on a map.  The Baltics are NATO partners of Canada.  Even if you can't/won't name a favourite, at least be aware of their existence!

And, predictably, both the Conservatives, and the Baltics themselves, respond.

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/the-baltics-to-trudeau-yes-were-a-thing/

https://twitter.com/CPC_HQ/status/676804145223966721

crazy canuck

I suppose the most positive thing that can be said is Justin will once again be reminded of his limitations and the need to rely heavily on his advisors.

Valmy

The obvious answer is Lithuania. Geez everybody knows that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grallon

The media circus Justin allows himself to be constantly surrounded by really makes me begin to regret Harper.  :glare:

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on December 18, 2015, 11:49:24 AM

For Darius Kasparaitis of course. A true hockey fan i.e a true Canadian knows that.

Barrister

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 18, 2015, 01:20:41 PM
Quote from: Valmy on December 18, 2015, 11:49:24 AM

For Darius Kasparaitis of course. A true hockey fan i.e a true Canadian knows that.

No love for Latvia's Arturs Irbe?