News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

I encourage those Languishites who are in Alberta to donate money to the Progressive Conservative party.  They need the money at this point.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on January 04, 2016, 11:38:11 PM
I encourage those Languishites who are in Alberta to donate money to the Progressive Conservative party.  They need the money at this point.

I was just going to bump this thread when I saw this - meowtf?  Wildrose gets my money.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Kevin O'Leary mulls running for Federal Conservative leadership.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/conservative-leadership-kevin-o-leary-1.3401967

Umm, interesting.  I don't think he'd be the guy I support though.  Not so much because of anything "controversial" he's said - he's on tv, that's his schtick, I get it.  But rather that his company that he built (and sold out to Mattel) was a house of cards that was almost immediately written off after the purchase.

Interesting comment in the article about Jason Kenney coming to somehow "unite the right" in Alberta and become Premier.  I've seen that rumor before.  It would be very interesting to watch...

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 14, 2016, 02:45:42 PM
Too old.

Gen X or bust.

Have you seen how old the leading contenders are in the US? 

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on January 14, 2016, 02:49:01 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 14, 2016, 02:45:42 PM
Too old.

Gen X or bust.

Have you seen how old the leading contenders are in the US?

Yes & it makes shudders. 60 is already too old, a bunch of 70+ers?! Stop asking to get a VP promoted & then start WWIII.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on January 14, 2016, 02:36:01 PM

Umm, interesting.  I don't think he'd be the guy I support though.  Not so much because of anything "controversial" he's said - he's on tv, that's his schtick, I get it.  But rather that his company that he built (and sold out to Mattel) was a house of cards that was almost immediately written off after the purchase.

Interesting comment in the article about Jason Kenney coming to somehow "unite the right" in Alberta and become Premier.  I've seen that rumor before.  It would be very interesting to watch...

He's the guy who offered to "invest $1M in Alberta if Notley resigns" right? It might get a few soundbites, but it's pretty low quality for political discourse.

He sounds like a Trump-lite to me. If that's what the Conservatives think will get them places, I guess that's their prerogative but a being a TV personality and offering obnoxious rhetoric doesn't seem like the best bet to me.

Does he have any actual political experience?

Martinus

"Investing $1M" is a pretty low bar.

Josephus

He invests $1million for what? A 40 per cent stake in the province?  :lol:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on January 14, 2016, 03:25:28 PM

He's the guy who offered to "invest $1M in Alberta if Notley resigns" right? It might get a few soundbites, but it's pretty low quality for political discourse.

He sounds like a Trump-lite to me. If that's what the Conservatives think will get them places, I guess that's their prerogative but a being a TV personality and offering obnoxious rhetoric doesn't seem like the best bet to me.

Does he have any actual political experience?

Did you read the article?  He explicitly makes the Trump connection himself.

No, no political experience.

The real question is whether or not he knows French.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on January 14, 2016, 07:30:59 PM
Did you read the article?  He explicitly makes the Trump connection himself.

No, no political experience.

The real question is whether or not he knows French.

Nope I did not read the article. That's why I asked you :)

crazy canuck

Not sure why you have put quotes around controversial.  He has said some pretty stupid things.  So I guess you meant to suggest that characterizing his comments as "controversial" is too kind?

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 15, 2016, 10:41:59 AM

Not sure why you have put quotes around controversial.  He has said some pretty stupid things.  So I guess you meant to suggest that characterizing his comments as "controversial" is too kind?

He is saying that spouting dumb stuff is that fellow's "schtick" - so presumably an act not to be taken seriously.

To my mind, the trend of conservative politicians spouting dumb stuff as a "schtick" ought to be sternly discouraged by rejecting any politicians who indulge in it. Down that path lies Mr. Trump and his ilk.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on January 15, 2016, 10:46:03 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 15, 2016, 10:41:59 AM

He is saying that spouting dumb stuff is that fellow's "schtick" - so presumably an act not to be taken seriously.

To my mind, the trend of conservative politicians spouting dumb stuff as a "schtick" ought to be sternly discouraged by rejecting any politicians who indulge in it. Down that path lies Mr. Trump and his ilk.

If that is what he meant, then I disagree.  I dont think it is an act.  Unless his  schtick has become his personality entirely.  Whether an act or not, I do agree that it ought to be rejected as strongly as possible.

Barrister

Yes, I think O'Leary understands what his role is (though like many entertainers he's really just amplifying aspects of his personality that already exist).  He knows that being "controversial" is what gets him attention.

That being said, while there is a Trump comparison that can be made he really is quite different from Trump.  I've never heard him be accused of being racist or sexist or anything.  His schtick is really just a Gordan Gekko "Greed is Good" defence of capitalism.  He can be kind of crass, but that's about it.

I don't think I'd vote for him as leader (as mentioned, he was actually a kind of shitty CEO), but I certainly wouldn't walk out of the party if he was elected.