News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I had a fairly hott Latvian-American housemate after college, and she had a killer hott Latvian-American friend, so I would say Latvia.

Also had a Latvian-American macro prof at GU.  He's the one who turned me on to scotch and soda.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on December 18, 2015, 01:28:13 PM
No love for Latvia's Arturs Irbe?

A Carolina Hurricane? Please.

Besides Darius is a much cooler name.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on December 18, 2015, 11:41:07 AM
Not an enormous fan of skill-testing trivia questions for politicians, but for this one...

In a honours take for Macleans magazine Trudeau was asked a series of 10 questions in 60 seconds.  He did pretty well IMO for some pretty easy softball questions (though he ducked "BC vs Nova Scotia, and "Toyota Prius vs Mercedes SL").

But another question was "What is your favourite Baltic Nation", which he declared "That's not a thing".

:frusty:

Come on man - we're not asking you to pick out Kyrgyzystan on a map.  The Baltics are NATO partners of Canada.  Even if you can't/won't name a favourite, at least be aware of their existence!

And, predictably, both the Conservatives, and the Baltics themselves, respond.

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/the-baltics-to-trudeau-yes-were-a-thing/

https://twitter.com/CPC_HQ/status/676804145223966721

From your own link:
QuoteAnd he did respond. Before Maclean's town hall with Trudeau on Wednesday, the Prime Minister said that what he meant to say was that choosing one's favourite Baltic nation should not be a thing.

He was, Trudeau said, well aware that the Baltics exist—because he used to date a woman from one of those countries. On the spur of the moment while shooting the 60-second video, he said, he decided that no good could come from answering the question with reference to any specific country. So he declined as diplomatically as he could.

It's picking a favourite Baltic nation that's not a thing, not the Baltic nations themselves.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 18, 2015, 01:31:57 PM
I had a fairly hott Latvian-American housemate after college, and she had a killer hott Latvian-American friend, so I would say Latvia.

Also had a Latvian-American macro prof at GU.  He's the one who turned me on to scotch and soda.

They both would have been hotter if they had been Lithuanian.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on December 18, 2015, 01:32:03 PM

Not to mention Arturs played for the Vancouver Canucks.  :P Did Don Cherry had some nice things to say about Irbe btw?  ;)

Valmy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 18, 2015, 01:42:34 PM

Not to mention Arturs played for the Vancouver Canucks.  :P Did Don Cherry had some nice things to say about Irbe btw?  ;)

Once you play for the Hurricanes you are forever tainted.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on December 18, 2015, 01:59:02 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 18, 2015, 01:42:34 PM

Once you play for the Hurricanes you are forever tainted.

Strongly disagree.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob link=topic=4648.msg936738#msg936738 date=1450463570
It's picking a favourite Baltic nation that's not a thing, not the Baltic nations themselves.
/quote]

It's an ex post facto explanation, and he was able to dodge other "pick your favourite" questions without sounding ignorant.

I'll leave it to each individual to determine how satisfactory that explanation was.

Plus I just like picking on Justin.  :blush:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on December 18, 2015, 01:32:50 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 18, 2015, 11:41:07 AM
Not an enormous fan of skill-testing trivia questions for politicians, but for this one...

In a honours take for Macleans magazine Trudeau was asked a series of 10 questions in 60 seconds.  He did pretty well IMO for some pretty easy softball questions (though he ducked "BC vs Nova Scotia, and "Toyota Prius vs Mercedes SL").

But another question was "What is your favourite Baltic Nation", which he declared "That's not a thing".

:frusty:

Come on man - we're not asking you to pick out Kyrgyzystan on a map.  The Baltics are NATO partners of Canada.  Even if you can't/won't name a favourite, at least be aware of their existence!

And, predictably, both the Conservatives, and the Baltics themselves, respond.

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/the-baltics-to-trudeau-yes-were-a-thing/

https://twitter.com/CPC_HQ/status/676804145223966721

From your own link:
QuoteAnd he did respond. Before Maclean's town hall with Trudeau on Wednesday, the Prime Minister said that what he meant to say was that choosing one's favourite Baltic nation should not be a thing.

He was, Trudeau said, well aware that the Baltics exist—because he used to date a woman from one of those countries. On the spur of the moment while shooting the 60-second video, he said, he decided that no good could come from answering the question with reference to any specific country. So he declined as diplomatically as he could.

That is just a good example of having good advisors who can think of a plausible way to cover a misstep.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 18, 2015, 02:53:56 PM
That is just a good example of having good advisors who can think of a plausible way to cover a misstep.

:lol:

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

dps

What the heck is "sexual interference"?  It sounds like stopping someone from having sex, but surely that's not a crime in Canada.

Monoriu

I am surprised that so many people form bands.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: dps on January 04, 2016, 08:46:57 PM
What the heck is "sexual interference"?  It sounds like stopping someone from having sex, but surely that's not a crime in Canada.

I looked it up.  It's touching someone under the age of consent "with sexual intentions."

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on January 04, 2016, 08:46:57 PM

Sounds like it's worth at least a five yard penalty.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017