News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

QuoteA senior Canadian official, speaking at a background briefing for reporters Wednesday, said it's normal that potential refugee numbers get whittled down as the UN contacts prospective candidates.

"It's just a reality that as much as we are eager to welcome the 25,000 people ... some of them want to stay close to home. Some of them still want to be able to return to Syria and are hopeful there will be a resolution to the conflict there," the official said.

So you might even say that perhaps Canada should put more efforts on defeating Daesh and ending the civil war so that the Syrians can return home like they want...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Oexmelin

How is Canada going to do that, exactly?
Que le grand cric me croque !

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on December 09, 2015, 12:42:41 PM
So you might even say that perhaps Canada should put more efforts on defeating Daesh and ending the civil war so that the Syrians can return home like they want...

Does anybody else think it is weird the intense reaction the British are getting? One would think they just agreed to conquer Syria to add it to a reborn British Empire. But I guess people are just tired of fighting.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Oexmelin on December 09, 2015, 12:44:33 PM

Same way they are going to help with the refugee crisis: do their bit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on December 09, 2015, 12:33:36 PM
QuoteCanada is finding that many Syrian refugees are reluctant to travel so far afield, a stumbling block as the country works to identify thousands of newcomers to bring here within a matter of months.

Ok there is so much bizarreness and hilarity in this that I do not even know where to begin.

It almost sounds like a comedy sketch.

You must not have read the rest of the article.

QuoteSome of them "hope against hope" that they will be able to return home eventually, said Paul Clarke, executive director of Action Réfugiés Montreal. He added that it is hard for Syrian refugees to grasp exactly how they will adapt to their new home, learn a new language and find a way to earn a living, especially if they lack the necessary education.

"The decision to cross an ocean forever is obviously a major one, and not one that people necessarily want to make," Mr. Clarke said in an interview.

I suppose it is hilarious for you to think about this kind of decision from the comfort of Texas.  :P

Barrister

By assisting with the French and US military actions against Deash, and not by withdrawing our CF-18s from the region?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 09, 2015, 12:46:20 PM
I suppose it is hilarious for you to think about this kind of decision from the comfort of Texas.  :P

Hell if it was up to me we would have been pouring tons of money and resources into helping the refugees from day one and brought tons over here who wanted to come. But eventually the absurdities of these situations make one laugh. It is farcical.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Valmy on December 09, 2015, 12:45:56 PM

Same way they are going to help with the refugee crisis: do their bit.

Right.

It is a bloody civil,war, with Al-Assad being supported by Russia. Canada has squandered away a lot of diplomatic goodwill with imbecilic diplomacy in the last ten years. Modern Iraq is dead, even though no one wants to admit it.  What is the horizon for this resolution? 2050? 2070?

Refugees are reluctant to come to Canada because there is a such a massive number of them that they are immigrating/fleeing as communities, and in proximity to countries where communities in exiles have been reestablished, notably Turkey, while we insist on picking isolated individuals and families. This is not unique to Canada, of course, but at this point chances are better to not be isolated in Germany.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Barrister on December 09, 2015, 12:49:42 PM

By assisting with the French and US military actions against Deash, and not by withdrawing our CF-18s from the region?

Is the pint of this really to score petty political points inCanadian politics?

Jacob

While I'm all for Daesh getting a kick in the balls, I'm not sure how military action is going to produce a more stable Syria for the refugees to return to. The West's record on military action in the Middle East leading to stability is not that encouraging, to be honest.

crazy canuck

And how exactly is that going to reduce the number of refugees over the next few years?

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 09, 2015, 12:56:37 PM

And how exactly is that going to reduce the number of refugees over the next few years?

By Winning the war?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Oexmelin on December 09, 2015, 12:53:47 PM
Canada has squandered away a lot of diplomatic goodwill with imbecilic diplomacy in the last ten years. Modern Iraq is dead, even though no one wants to admit it.

Ok then. What is the non-imbecilic way out of this? Being an imbecile I would love to know.

QuoteWhat is the horizon for this resolution? 2050? 2070?

What is your basis for this projection? Last I checked diplomatic deals were being reached, but Daesh needs to be eliminated.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on December 09, 2015, 12:56:33 PM
The West's record on military action in the Middle East leading to stability is not that encouraging, to be honest.

Is anybody's record good in this area? Yet I do not think there is a non-military way to end Daesh. That is the dilemma. I am find with the West taking a supporting role though if somebody else wants to lead the attack. I think the West would as well.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 09, 2015, 12:57:09 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on December 09, 2015, 12:56:37 PM

By Winning the war?

Ah, so Canada is going to take on the Russians?  Remember a lot of these refugees are leaving Syria to avoid being killed by their own government.  Something our friend BB seems to have forgotten.