Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Josephus

hearing National Post editor has resigned
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on October 19, 2015, 11:07:40 AM

Andrew Coyne.  Resigned as editor of their comments section, but remains as a columnist.  Supposedly the paper declined to run a column of his (presumably critical of Harper).

Seems very much a non-story to me.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 19, 2015, 02:30:21 AM
You thought that was funny?  I thought it was like a grade schooler calling names.

Well yes that is basically every Last Week Tonight episode. But some of us find grade schooler calling names hilarious -_-
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

One more indication of how far the Conservatives have strayed from the voters who gave them their majority the last time around.  I wouldn't expect a true blue supporter like BB to recognize the significance.  He after all was a Reformer. But the Conservative party as a whole better wake up to the reality of where they need to regrow the party.  Unless of course they want to guarantee a string of Liberal victories similar to the last time Reformers dominated the politics of the right.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 19, 2015, 11:30:58 AM

One more indication of how far the Conservatives have strayed from the voters who gave them their majority the last time around.  I wouldn't expect a true blue supporter like BB to recognize the significance.  He after all was a Reformer. But the Conservative party as a whole better wake up to the reality of where they need to regrow the party.  Unless of course they want to guarantee a string of Liberal victories similar to the last time Reformers dominated the politics of the right.

Andrew Coyne started out his career as a hard-right-winger, but has very much veered left as his career has moved on.  I'm not going to disparage the man, but he is hardly a typical Conservative supporter.

Obviously the Conservatives need to take steps to "regrow" the party - they're at 30% in the polls, not 40%.  This is true even if they do squeak out a win today.

What they don't need to do is change to match CC's idiosyncratic political ideology.  The "wealthy lawyer" demographic is not one they need to win.  Politics gets discussed very little around my office, but from the little I have heard I know the Conservatives would lose the Crown Prosecutor vote - even as they pile up yet another massive win in Alberta.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 19, 2015, 11:34:59 AM
They haven't lost yet, CC.

Yep, and I am concerned the Conservatives would learn the wrong lesson from that occurring.

edit: as it appears BB has already failed to recognize. ;)

Josephus

Best line from that John Oliver thing was the bit about the candidate resigning for being caught peeing in a cup.

"I don't know why Canadians are so upset. Urine in a cup is exactly what Labbats Blue tastes like."
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on October 19, 2015, 11:35:50 AMWhat they don't need to do is change to match CC's idiosyncratic political ideology.

Everyone's political ideology is idiosyncratic, once you get right down to it.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on October 19, 2015, 11:44:56 AM
Quote from: Barrister on October 19, 2015, 11:35:50 AMWhat they don't need to do is change to match CC's idiosyncratic political ideology.

True to a point, but CC is particularly hard to get a read on.  In comparison your politics are seem much more straight-forward.

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 19, 2015, 11:38:54 AM

Yep, and I am concerned the Conservatives would learn the wrong lesson from that occurring.

They could also win.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 19, 2015, 11:48:09 AM

They could also win.

Yeah, that is why I am concerned the Conservatives would learn the wrong lesson if that occurred.  ;)

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 19, 2015, 11:48:09 AM

They could also win.

We can only hope. :pope:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on October 19, 2015, 11:47:15 AM
Quote from: Jacob on October 19, 2015, 11:44:56 AM

True to a point, but CC is particularly hard to get a read on.  In comparison your politics are seem much more straight-forward.

There is a difference between being a predictable party supporter and looking at issues in a principled manner.   Its not just the "wealthy lawyers" who where shocked at the culturally barbaric practices hotline and the party who actually thought that would be a good idea.  The mistake the conservatives made is that the "wealthy" voters would mindlessly vote for even more goodies (further reduced taxes and increased TSFA limits) but it turns out at least some of us are not that simplistic. 

Months ago Malthus joked that the Conservatives would try to bribe the wealthy with even more gifts.  He was right.  We will wait to see if the Conservatives were.