And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: Jacob on October 18, 2015, 03:43:52 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 18, 2015, 02:56:58 PM
Yeah, by taking the hard line against Quebec and promoting the abolition of the dual school system in provinces, Trudeau has gained momentum in Canada, and he's now seen as credible replacement to Harper who speaks French too often.

Trudeau's stance on Quebec has had zero play out here. No one cares.

Whatever has driven it in these parts, it has not been whatever his policy is on Quebec - in fact, I doubt most people even know what it is.

People barely know any leader's policy on anything, let alone this.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

You know, if the Liberals win it increases the chances of non-Canadians remembering your PM's name.

Josephus

Aaargh...I quit. My 27 year old niece with a 2 year old child she can barely afford is voting for Harper.  :bleeding:

I quit
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

PRC

Quote from: viper37 on October 18, 2015, 02:56:58 PM
Yeah, by taking the hard line against Quebec and promoting the abolition of the dual school system in provinces, Trudeau has gained momentum in Canada, and he's now seen as credible replacement to Harper who speaks French too often.

Haven't heard anything that would resemble a "hard line against Quebec" out here.

Monoriu

Quote from: Josephus on October 18, 2015, 07:24:20 PM
Aaargh...I quit. My 27 year old niece with a 2 year old child she can barely afford is voting for Harper.  :bleeding:

I quit

I think voting against one's own economic self-interest is not that uncommon around the globe.  In Hong Kong, lots of people vote for parties that are against more welfare, yet they are the ones who will benefit from more welfare.  The middle class, i.e. the ones who foot the welfare bill, vote for parties that push for more welfare.  I want the Canadian Conservative party to win so that people like Crazy Canuck or Malthus pay less taxes, yet they loudly proclaim their dislike for the Conservatives in this very thread. 

crazy canuck

One last article about my riding.  Trudeau was even here today.  I think it going to be close but I have observed a lot less conservative signs than last time.

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/news/blog.html?b=news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/michael-den-tandt-trudeaus-ascent-is-in-many-ways-harpers-worst-nightmare-so-how-did-it-happen&pubdate=2015-10-18

@ Mono,  I will suffer a fairly substantial tax hit under the Liberal plan but that is on income after my first 200k.  I think I am going to be ok  ;)

Monoriu

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 18, 2015, 09:22:42 PM

@ Mono,  I will suffer a fairly substantial tax hit under the Liberal plan but that is on income after my first 200k.  I think I am going to be ok  ;)

:worthy:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Monoriu on October 18, 2015, 08:07:16 PM
The middle class, i.e. the ones who foot the welfare bill
I thought you said earlier that only really high earners pay income tax in HK.

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 18, 2015, 09:54:52 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 18, 2015, 08:07:16 PM
The middle class, i.e. the ones who foot the welfare bill
I thought you said earlier that only really high earners pay income tax in HK.

Half of the working population pays no income tax whatsoever.  Because it isn't an income tax, but a salary tax.  Things like dividend, interest, lottery winnings are all exempt.  The other half pays something.  But out of the taxpayers, like 5-10% of them pay like 70-80% of the taxes.  This is the current situation. 

Lots of people want more welfare in Hong Kong.  We don't have a public retirement scheme, for example.  The government is saying, look, with such a narrow tax base, the idea is not financially sustainable without raising taxes on the middle class.  The voting pattern in HK suggests that the middle class is saying, hey we don't really mind to pay a bit more for retirement security, and bells and whistles for the poor. 

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on October 18, 2015, 07:24:20 PM

I quit

Smart girl.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

What I read is under the Liberal plan I get a tax hit on my income above 80k.  And with no income splitting, plus my wife is going to be quitting her job...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

Last Weet Tonight with John Oliver :lmfao:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Admiral Yi

You thought that was funny?  I thought it was like a grade schooler calling names.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on October 18, 2015, 10:46:08 PM

What I read is under the Liberal plan I get a tax hit on my income above 80k.  And with no income splitting, plus my wife is going to be quitting her job...

:huh:

Not sure what you are reading.  The tax rate for income earnings between 44k and 89k is being reduced.  A new tax bracket will be created for 200k+ which will be 3% more than the 139k bracket-the current max.

If you are referring to the game show conservative format it has been widely reported that their math is well off because they are not factoring in the middle class tax cut.

For everyone, a good warning about how terribly inaccurate pollsters have been

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/opinion-polls-taking-the-national-pulse-or-trying-to/article26850605/?service=mobile

Grey Fox

Quote from: katmai on October 19, 2015, 01:25:22 AM
Last Weet Tonight with John Oliver :lmfao:

I hope someone sues the but it was funny.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.