News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on October 15, 2015, 03:49:47 PM
No, you're racist because you're justifying laws targeting ethnic and religious minorities with reference to "extremism" when that extremism only exists in your fevered imagination.
I'm guessing you believe the Hell's Angels is just a biker's club and the KKK a simple religious congregation.  What can I say?

Wearing a niqab does not make you an extremist.
Yes, it does.  You are showing the world that only your particular Faith is worthy and you are pushing for others to follow you, putting pressure on them.  But you don't see that, because you don't want to listen to moderates.  It's not sexy listening to moderates when you're on the left.  You need a cause to justify your life, otherwise you feel empty.  So cuddling to extremists it is.

Wanting to send your kids to a school that schedules holidays according to the holidays of your faith and culture, and with social studies and language classes that has more of a focus on your background than on the Christian derived mainstream does not make you an extremist.
wanting to isolate your kids from the rest of society and teaching them that religion is equal to science is a sign of extremism.  If you'd bother to read on religious sects, you'd know that.  But you won't, because as a good leftist, facts are unimportant to you.

It's your insistence that it does - that these people whose values and existence so offends you should not have equal standing in our society - that makes you racist. It is your insistence that you * know * that these people are your enemies, that they are culturally unworthy of our country that makes you a racist, even as you display your ignorance. It is your insistence that random sensationalized bits of news and trivia provides enough basis to declare cultural and religious groups anathema that makes you racist.
You're a moron and you know it.
Asking for equality of all is racism.  You're either a moron or totally, beyond redemption, batshit insane.

I have no idea what you are on about, except that I'm guessing your reference to the knife thing is you getting yourself worked into a lather about the Sikh kirpan which is perfectly consistent with your xenophobic attitudes.

As for school curricula, of course private religious based schools will need to meet provincial standards. I've never suggested otherwise.
I'm talking about religious schools teaching creationism as science.  You know, the things that make me racist, xenophobic, and all that?  All the moronic insults you keep throwing me at since you came back here to insult people who don't vote like you?
If I'm a racist a bigot and a xenophobe because I believe religion has no place in the governement, so be it.  If that makes me racist to want everyone receiving the same basic education, so be it, I will assume myself.

Again, you are making no sense at all.
I am making sense, you are not. 

QuoteComparing people who are not engaging in any criminal activities with criminal groups is straight up idiotic. How does the lady who wants to take her citizenship oath in a niqab have anything in common with the Hell's Angels? What are all these crimes committed by Muslims and Ultraorthodox Jews that you are so concerned about?
They are religious extremists pushing their agenda on the moderates of their community, first, then on our society at large.  They are agents of radicalization, something we should be concerned about.  Except those voting for the NDP, of course.  Your leader already said it wasn't our problem, so, if young Canadians are seduced by extremist ideas and then wish to wage war abroad against innocent civilians, who are we to interfere?  It would be xenophobic to act against religious extremists.

As a side note, the Hell's Angels are an international organization, so there's no particular anti-Quebec component to disliking them. We have them out here in BC, they're in the US, they're in Denmark and many other parts of Europe.
I know, but the biker's war mostly affected Quebec, and there are still a few tensions, though it's the Italian mafia in Montreal having problems now.

I'm not a fan of ISIS nor of Saudi Arabian Wahibism as far as I understand it. What I don't accept is your hysterical attempts to link those with a lady wanting to wear a niqab
The insistance to remind everyone that the woman is inferior to men and that is the proper way to live is a sign of religious intolerance.  You fix problem when they start appear, when they are out of control.  You send a clear message right now that it isn't the way to live in Canada, that part of your culture must go.  The part that usually discriminates against other group.

or people sending their kids to private schools with a religious component to the curriculum.
that's not what I said, and you know it, again.  I specifically talked about schools not meeting the basic requirements or provincial education and teaching creationism as a science.  I specifically said that I did not have a problem with these communities teaching their values&religion on top of the basic schooling requirements of the province.  Then you call me a racist for that and started blabbering about your Jewish friend.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Jacob

Quote from: Berkut on October 15, 2015, 04:27:29 PM
Fascinating.

Yeah, I think we're at an impasse. I think I'm done for now with this tangent.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on October 15, 2015, 04:06:55 PM
Quote from: Jacob on October 15, 2015, 03:49:47 PM
Wanting to send your kids to a school that schedules holidays according to the holidays of your faith and culture, and with social studies and language classes that has more of a focus on your background than on the Christian derived mainstream does not make you an extremist.

No but it does make you the kind of immigrant many cultures do not want moving into their territory.

Many cultures do not want others of different cultures because they are at best intolerant.  Which is exactly what I said Viper was.  Although after reading the rest of his posts I think I may have been a bit lenient on him.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 15, 2015, 01:08:12 PM
My riding is one of 6 in this province that has been identified as too close to call.  The liberal candidate apparently has a very small lead over the incumbent conservative but reports say it is all going to come down to who gets out their vote.

Which riding? Mine's a contested one too. (Oshawa). It's PC, but NDP have strong chance (of course I voted for them).
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

North Vancouver.  Also the next door riding of West Vancouver and the most affluent neighborhood in Vancouver proper are very close.   It turns out I am not the only one who decided it was best to not just consider ones own economic self interest when voting. :)

Josephus

Good to know there are some sensible one per centers.  :D
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

My riding is uncalledable by any analyst. It will serve has a indication of what will happen on wether the NPD or the Libs take it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tonitrus

Comparing the intensity/activity in this thread with what is our American politics thread, I am getting the impression that Languish is really more of a Canadian forum than an American one.  :(

Except, perhaps, for sports...

crazy canuck

Your election is a long way off.  Ours is Monday.

Ancient Demon

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 15, 2015, 06:48:14 PM
North Vancouver.  Also the next door riding of West Vancouver and the most affluent neighborhood in Vancouver proper are very close.   It turns out I am not the only one who decided it was best to not just consider ones own economic self interest when voting. :)

Or they're voting for precisely their own economic interests. Aren't you a business owner, by the way?
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Ancient Demon

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 15, 2015, 06:14:28 PM
Many cultures do not want others of different cultures because they are at best intolerant.  Which is exactly what I said Viper was.  Although after reading the rest of his posts I think I may have been a bit lenient on him.

I suppose you think everyone who doesn't support multiculturalism is intolerant.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Monoriu

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 15, 2015, 10:39:17 PM
Comparing the intensity/activity in this thread with what is our American politics thread, I am getting the impression that Languish is really more of a Canadian forum than an American one.  :(

Except, perhaps, for sports...

One thing that continues to surprise me is that Canadians have absolutely no concept of party loyalty.  They just vote for whatever party they like at the moment.  They also have more than two valid parties to choose from, especially if that one in Quebec with a name that I can never pronounce is included. 

Admiral Yi

Yeah, Bloc trips up a lot of people.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Ancient Demon on October 15, 2015, 11:47:08 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 15, 2015, 06:48:14 PM

Or they're voting for precisely their own economic interests. Aren't you a business owner, by the way?

Only if you think paying more corporate and personal income tax is in my economic self interest.

Quote from: Ancient Demon on October 15, 2015, 11:49:28 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 15, 2015, 06:14:28 PM

I suppose you think everyone who doesn't support multiculturalism is intolerant.

No.  But I do think that someone who defines a different cultural practice as religious extremism that should be outlawed is, at the very least, intolerant.