News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on October 14, 2015, 04:36:25 PM

So yeah, you didn't call me racist. You strongly implied it.

Well, you certainly are a supremacist of some kind.  You want your culture to be supreme and others inferior to it because a French guy sailed up a river 400 years ago.  That's about the gist of it, right?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on October 14, 2015, 04:39:34 PM
That's about the gist of it, right?
yes absolutely. Everyday, I go out in my street, drapped in a Quebec flag, screaming French Power! French Power! joined by thousands of my neighbours.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on October 14, 2015, 04:43:15 PM
yes absolutely. Everyday, I go out in my street, drapped in a Quebec flag, screaming French Power! French Power! joined by thousands of my neighbours.

Well, then there's something wrong with you.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Josephus

This fantastic ethnic newspaper just ran a poll--and surprise a plurality of Jews are voting for Harper--though most arent

http://www.cjnews.com/canada/poll-shows-plurality-cjn-readers-support-tories

Go ahead and click, they need the page views. And once you're there take out a subscription

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Speaking of Jews, here's an interesting op ed about how Harper's law extraditing terrorists makes second class citizens of all jews in Canada

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/commentary/2015/10/14/new-law-makes-canadian-jews-second-class-citizens.html
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Monoriu

Quote from: Jacob on October 14, 2015, 11:51:37 AM
Did you see this piece running in Chinese media?

Translation:

1. Does Justin Trudeau have the same values as you?
2. The Liberal Party wants to legalize marijuana so kids can easily use it.
3. They want establish safe injection sites in YOUR neighbourhood.
4. They want to legalize prostitution and open brothels in YOUR neighbourhood.

I guess they reckon the Chinese community doesn't give a damn about the niqab, so they'll have to press some other buttons.

Agree about the niqab.  Chinese won't care. 

The advertisement hit the right buttons.  Chinese are generally much more conservative about drugs and prostitution compared with westerners.

But my limited experience in Canada is that the #1 issue that Chinese care about is immigration policy, how easy they can get the passports and bring family and friends over.  Very few Chinese I knew would vote for the Conservatives.  Liberals were generally their favourites.

After all these years the advertisement is still in traditional Chinese?  Those from HK and Taiwan still outnumber the mainlanders?

Jacob

Quote from: viper37 on October 14, 2015, 04:36:25 PM
Again, I know of only the ultra orthodox jews.  And I don't want them to be happy with their ways here.  I don't want them to have their own religious schools where they teach their unwestern values to kids with the benediction of my government.  To be more precise: I do not mind that they teach their religion and values, I do mind that this would be the only thing these kids are exposed to.  Just as I would not want a neo-nazi group have their own school were their kids are exclusively taught to hate Jews, Blacks, Muslims and whomever it is they hate.

You don't want ultra orthodox Jews here either? Because they're unwestern?

Well, I have news for you. They're here already. And they have their own schools. There are several of ultra orthodox Jews at the synagogue my family goes to and they're pretty nice. And as it happens, my younger siblings all went to orthodox Jewish school  and they turned out just fine. I dare say they're more western and tolerant than you, and that there's much less hate taught in those schools than the shit that comes out of your mouth when you post about Muslims here (and Jews).

So I give you a hearty "fuck you" for you telling me there are types of Jews you don't want in this country, and for telling me that you don't want my siblings going to the school they went to.

Ironically, my step-father is a die-hard Conservative supporter and one of the primary reasons for this is that he thinks they're more supportive of religious schools - the ones you don't want because they offend your values.

QuoteAnd this bit here was pretty insulting, as you clearly mean that most if not all Conservatives voters are racists:
But when Harper brings out the racist dog-whistles he's going to get called on the racist dog-whistles - and they are just that. Witness how effectively they've rallied grallon to his side - someone who straight up owns up to disliking Muslims.
The reality being that Cons have barely made any gains in polls (3%), and of course, this supposed guilt by association could be directed to Liberal and NDP supporters as well, for different issues.

So yeah, you didn't call me racist. You strongly implied it.

Well, I don't think all Conservative voters are racists, not by a far stretch. I don't think BB is, for example. But you? Yeah, you're a racist. You're talking shit about people you clearly don't know anything about, saying you don't want them here, that their values offend you, that you don't want them to be comfortable. You're an ignorant racist :(

Grey Fox

You do not have thousands of neighbors.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on October 14, 2015, 05:52:05 PM
Speaking of Jews, here's an interesting op ed about how Harper's law extraditing terrorists makes second class citizens of all jews in Canada

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/commentary/2015/10/14/new-law-makes-canadian-jews-second-class-citizens.html

The Conservative government has made it more difficult for refugees to find safety for themselves and their children on our shores
That is not true.  Numbers do not add up.  They may have been slow in the Syrians' case, but otherwise, there are as many refugees entering the country as before,  In fact, I think we have more than during the Liberals now.

It has singled out certain "others" within Canadian society as the object of fear, for political benefit.
That's a matter of perspectives.  I really don't see it that way, even if I'm willing to admit there is a lot of bullshit for simple political gains rather than a real desire to make life harder for religious extremists.

The rest of the article is pure sillyness.  The law only applies to terrorists.  Not a terrorist?  Not a problem.  It is expected, in some societies, that when you commit crimes, there are consequences, one of which is that you lose some basic guarantees to ordinary citizens would enjoy (ex: right to privacy, right to freely move within the country, etc).  It's just one more thing.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 14, 2015, 07:05:52 PM

You do not have thousands of neighbors.
I am caught in my web of lies! ;)

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on October 14, 2015, 06:08:13 PM
Well, I don't think all Conservative voters are racists, not by a far stretch. I don't think BB is, for example. But you? Yeah, you're a racist. You're talking shit about people you clearly don't know anything about, saying you don't want them here, that their values offend you, that you don't want them to be comfortable. You're an ignorant racist :(
ah.  Not wanting religious extremists makes me a racist.  By such definition, anyone voting for the LPC is a racist since they clearly do not want Québécois in this country.  Heck, Trudeau is proud of saying there's no such thing as a Quebec nation.

You are as ridiculous as Raz in his pro-Erdogan rants.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on October 14, 2015, 06:08:13 PM
You don't want ultra orthodox Jews here either? Because they're unwestern?
I don't want public schools teaching creationism. That has no business on a school's curriculum.  I don't believe an institution devoted to education should teach such sillyness as fact.  Even our Southern neighbours have understood that.
The State should not propagate religious beliefs as facts, directly or indirectly.  By financing such schools, we break seperation of Church and State just to please a few religious extremists.  You're happy with it, I'm not.

QuoteI dare say they're more western and tolerant than you, and that there's much less hate taught in those schools than the shit that comes out of your mouth when you post about Muslims here (and Jews).
If I say I dislike the Italian mafia, does that make a racist too?

So I give you a hearty "fuck you" for you telling me there are types of Jews you don't want in this country, and for telling me that you don't want my siblings going to the school they went to.
You already told me so a few posts ago, and you are deliberately twisting what I said to make you feel superior.  Typical leftist behavior, the mistake was mine, expecting a debate with such people.  I'm not going to try to defend myself for something I did not say.  You clearly believe religion and State should be one and the same and I don't.

Ironically, my step-father is a die-hard Conservative supporter and one of the primary reasons for this is that he thinks they're more supportive of religious schools - the ones you don't want because they offend your values.
Don't care about your step-father, nor his reasons to vote for any one he wants to.  I'd prefer there was a viable alternative to the Cons, there are not.  Unless I want to be treated as 2nd class citizen because of my language or my profession.  Ironically, you have no problem siding with pro-Chavez types, but everyone not agreeing with you is apparently calling for deportation of everybody else.  You're such a weirdo.

Monoriu

Quote from: Josephus on October 14, 2015, 05:26:07 PM
This fantastic ethnic newspaper just ran a poll--and surprise a plurality of Jews are voting for Harper--though most arent

http://www.cjnews.com/canada/poll-shows-plurality-cjn-readers-support-tories

Go ahead and click, they need the page views. And once you're there take out a subscription

I refuse to pay for news or online content of any kind  :P

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on October 14, 2015, 08:10:12 PM

You are as ridiculous as Raz in his pro-Erdogan rants.

I'm for Democracy and equal rights, Yeah I know not everyone wants that when Muslims are involved, I get that.

Josephus

Quote from: viper37 on October 14, 2015, 08:06:38 PM
The rest of the article is pure sillyness.  The law only applies to terrorists.  Not a terrorist?  Not a problem.  It is expected, in some societies, that when you commit crimes, there are consequences, one of which is that you lose some basic guarantees to ordinary citizens would enjoy (ex: right to privacy, right to freely move within the country, etc).  It's just one more thing.

We;'ve had this argument before, and the general consensus is you're wrong on this. There shouldn't be a difference between what you call an "ordinary citizen" and me, one who was naturalized when he was 14.