News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on October 13, 2015, 02:20:25 PM
designed to hurt the NDP in Quebec. My prediction is that, should the Cons win, you won't hear much more about it.
If you look at CBC Poll tracker, you will realize the NDP has been losing ground all over Canada since Sept 9th.  The drop has been bigger in Quebec because that's where they were at the highest, but they've dropped to about equal polling nearly everywhere, except for Sask&Manitoba where they remain about equal.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 13, 2015, 05:43:04 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 13, 2015, 05:40:06 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 13, 2015, 02:12:07 PM
Though I guess GF invited this upon himself by claiming it had something to do with misogyny.

The hijab, niquad & Burka are misoginistic clothing items. The women wearing them were coerce into wearing them. Those that claim to do it out of their own will are deluding themselves. Islam is an anti-women religion.

High heels are misoginistic clothing items. The women wearing them were coerce into wearing them. Those that claim to do it out of their own will are deluding themselves. Fashion statements like that are anti-women.
Fashion statement:

You must be really, really be pissed off, living in such a fascist country where we make fashion statements against people.  I feel your outrage from out here.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on October 13, 2015, 03:45:46 PM
When was the last time a vote or two made a difference in an election?  Probably never. 
The NPD MP for my riding was elected by 4-5 votes.

viper37

Quote from: Oexmelin on October 13, 2015, 08:25:43 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 13, 2015, 01:30:49 PM
It is not racism, it is anti-clericalism.

I am sorry - the way this argument is being played is totally, at best, xenophobia, at worst, fucking racism.
I am sorry - when was the last time you agreed with something the Conservatives did, or the way they did it?

Jacob

Quote from: viper37 on October 14, 2015, 10:10:09 AM
Fashion statement:

You must be really, really be pissed off, living in such a fascist country where we make fashion statements against people.  I feel your outrage from out here.

What is your argument? That Muslim women are like members of the Hells Angels?

PRC

Quote from: Monoriu on October 13, 2015, 03:45:46 PM
When was the last time a vote or two made a difference in an election?   

In the last Alberta provincial election my riding ended up in a tie between the NDP and Progressive Conservatives.  After a recount the NDP won by a few votes so a vote or two certainly made a difference in that election.

crazy canuck

Yeah, there are always a few ridings in every election that are decided by very few votes.  There will likely be many such ridings in this election.

crazy canuck

Liberal momentum continues to grow.  They are now projected to take the most seats and may even form a majority government.  Quite a story coming from having only a 6% chance of getting the most seats when this election began.  It appears that the politics of fear and division will be roundly condemned at the ballot box.  :)

edit: forgot the link  http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/globe-election-forecast-2015/article25377958/

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 14, 2015, 10:58:33 AM
Liberal momentum continues to grow.  They are now projected to take the most seats and may even form a majority government.  Quite a story coming from having only a 6% chance of getting the most seats when this election began.  It appears that the politics of fear and division will be roundly condemned at the ballot box.  :)

edit: forgot the link  http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/globe-election-forecast-2015/article25377958/

And instead we get the politics of deceit and denial?

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/kelly-mcparland-how-i-came-to-admire-justin-trudeau

Sigh.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Yep. Epic fail.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: viper37 on October 14, 2015, 10:03:52 AM
Because a comparison is automatically akin to =.  You guys are weird when you want to.

Your argument was that such laws would not prevent woman abuse, so why have it anyway?  My argument is that you could say the same for every laws.

No, my argument was that if a law has two clear outcomes:

1: It increases persecution of a group (witness the recent assaults on women wearing burqa/ niqab) and otherwise creates a climate where members of the group are told they're outsiders and don't belong.

2: It doesn't do anything to actually encourage the people from changing the behaviour you're allegedly concerned about.

Then if you're claiming that you're enacting the law to protect members of that group you're either an idiot (because your law is demonstrably counterproductive) or you're lying (because you're enacting the law for some other reason), possibly both.

If you want to use comparisons, at least use some that have actual parallels to the argument you're making.

Jacob

It would be ironic if Harper's niqab ploy was designed to hurt the NDP, and did so but such that it consolidated the ABC vote with the Liberals.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on October 14, 2015, 10:15:43 AM
Quote from: viper37 on October 14, 2015, 10:10:09 AM
Fashion statement:

What is your argument? That Muslim women are like members of the Hells Angels?
Ah, it's ok to regulate fashion for some people, but not for Muslims.  So your argument is not one of racism or xenophobia, but you're only trying to take the moral high ground so you can justify your vote for a party whose corruption and mistreatment of the francophones is legendary.  I see.

Jacob

Did you see this piece running in Chinese media?

Translation:

1. Does Justin Trudeau have the same values as you?
2. The Liberal Party wants to legalize marijuana so kids can easily use it.
3. They want establish safe injection sites in YOUR neighbourhood.
4. They want to legalize prostitution and open brothels in YOUR neighbourhood.

I guess they reckon the Chinese community doesn't give a damn about the niqab, so they'll have to press some other buttons.

Valmy

Man the Conservatives are out of control. This is Austrian FPO type crap.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."