News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

The CBC did a piece showing varies Conservative Ministers in the recent past saying there was nothing wrong with wearing a Niqab.  I wonder what changed?  Did the conservatives find feminism or did they find polling numbers they thought they could exploit in a most cynical way?

Jacob

Quote from: viper37 on October 14, 2015, 08:10:12 PM
ah.  Not wanting religious extremists makes me a racist.

No, your criteria for declaring people to be religious extremists makes you a racist.

It's kind of funny really. You get worked up into a rage over how you think the English media portrays Quebec, how it denigrates and misrepresents the French, how Anglophone Canadians believe a bunch of misconceptions and lies and are indifferent or outright hostile to the Quebecois based on prejudice and misinformation. Yet, when it comes to Muslims and Jews you're happy to rant about what's wrong with them and how they don't belong, though you don't know any and all your information comes from the sensationalist press and politicians catering to xenophobia.

You think people like CC think of you in the same bigoted way you think about Muslims and Jews and that's what makes you so angry. It's sad and ironic.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 15, 2015, 08:29:36 AM
The CBC did a piece showing varies Conservative Ministers in the recent past saying there was nothing wrong with wearing a Niqab.  I wonder what changed?  Did the conservatives find feminism or did they find polling numbers they thought they could exploit in a most cynical way?

Well they are also coming out against the sex industry in Chinese communities...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on October 15, 2015, 11:06:23 AM
Quote from: viper37 on October 14, 2015, 08:10:12 PM
ah.  Not wanting religious extremists makes me a racist.

No, your criteria for declaring people to be religious extremists makes you a racist.

It's kind of funny really. You get worked up into a rage over how you think the English media portrays Quebec, how it denigrates and misrepresents the French, how Anglophone Canadians believe a bunch of misconceptions and lies and are indifferent or outright hostile to the Quebecois based on prejudice and misinformation. Yet, when it comes to Muslims and Jews you're happy to rant about what's wrong with them and how they don't belong, though you don't know any and all your information comes from the sensationalist press and politicians catering to xenophobia.

You think people like CC think of you in the same bigoted way you think about Muslims and Jews and that's what makes you so angry. It's sad and ironic.

It is predictable. They are a nation that feels itself under siege by outside cultural forces. They are more the rule than the exception around the world.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Josephus

Globe giving a 67 per cent chance to the Libs of getting most seats
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on October 15, 2015, 12:03:19 PM

Does it look like a Lib minority then? My understanding is that unless the Cons get a majority, it would be a Lib minority even if the Cons get the most seats (of course, the Libs may be able to pull off a majority).

I guess the real issues then will be what the Libs have to toss to the NDP to make it work, and not all this stuff about wearing funny headgear ;) 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

On another note - the NDP is making hay with this:

http://www.thestar.com/news/federal-election/2015/10/14/liberals-campaign-co-chair-emailed-pipeline-officials-with-advice.html

The argument: the Libs aren't in power yet, and already their machine is jockeying for the spoils. Not sure the story is really that sensational, but still.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grallon

It appears my prediction of an NDP minority government are less and less likely...  And, wonder of wonders, Justin now looks like he could possibly win! :wacko:

Brilliant move on Harper's part to wedge the niqab issue in... One unintended effect was to resurrect the Bloc and allow Duceppe to remind Quebecers that none of the other 3 cares one fig for their interests.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

crazy canuck

That is so page 473 news  :P

http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,4648.msg915970.html#msg915970

@Malthus, there is only a 6% chance any party will win a majority.  At least as of yesterday - before Ontario found out the Fords are going to be hosting Harper.  Not sure how Ontario will react to that.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 15, 2015, 12:21:17 PM

That is so page 473 news  :P

http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,4648.msg915970.html#msg915970

@Malthus, there is only a 6% chance any party will win a majority.  At least as of yesterday - before Ontario found out the Fords are going to be hosting Harper.  Not sure how Ontario will react to that.

:lol: Will Purple Jesus be served?

Anyway, so Lib minority it is. At least, most likely.

crazy canuck

My riding is one of 6 in this province that has been identified as too close to call.  The liberal candidate apparently has a very small lead over the incumbent conservative but reports say it is all going to come down to who gets out their vote.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on October 15, 2015, 11:06:23 AM
There's sort of a, catch 22 here.
First, you say I'm a racist because I do not want the same criterias applied to Orthodox Jews as extremist muslims.  Then you say that because I want the same criterias for everyone, I am racist.
You say you "support the law of the land", but then you go on about making exceptions for every religious group.  Education, as determined by the province is mandatory until 14 year old.  Oh?  You're religious?  Ok, let's make an exception for you then :)  Maths, French, English, Science, Biology, all that boring and unuseful stuff the other people learn, we will dispense you for that, because you feel it's against your religion.  Oh?  You want to bring a knife in school?  Why not?  It's not like it's a bad idea to give kids weapons.  The NRA support the same, and they are always right, of course.  If everyone was armed to the teeth, preferably with a handgun than a stupid knife, we would all be safer.  So, let's bend the rules once more

So, by your twisted logic, if I rant against the Italian mafia, I am a racist.  If I rant about black street gangs, I am a racist.  If I rant about the Hell's Angels, I certainly hate Quebecers.
Go on, you are ridiculous.  Either you know it and you are trolling me, or you don't and you are fucking moron.

What is sad and ironic is that you don't, purposefully, do not make a distinction between religious integrists and normal people.  I guess ISIS and Saudi Arabia are representative of all muslisms.  So, to say I do no like Wahabism would be akin to throwing Muslims in a crematory.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on October 15, 2015, 12:16:29 PM
On another note - the NDP is making hay with this:

http://www.thestar.com/news/federal-election/2015/10/14/liberals-campaign-co-chair-emailed-pipeline-officials-with-advice.html

The argument: the Libs aren't in power yet, and already their machine is jockeying for the spoils. Not sure the story is really that sensational, but still.
it just reveals what kind of importance Trudeau attach to ethics and transparacy.  Just as much as Harper.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

Quote from: viper37 on October 15, 2015, 02:56:49 PM
There's sort of a, catch 22 here.
First, you say I'm a racist because I do not want the same criterias applied to Orthodox Jews as extremist muslims.  Then you say that because I want the same criterias for everyone, I am racist.

No, you're racist because you're justifying laws targeting ethnic and religious minorities with reference to "extremism" when that extremism only exists in your fevered imagination.

Wearing a niqab does not make you an extremist. Wanting to send your kids to a school that schedules holidays according to the holidays of your faith and culture, and with social studies and language classes that has more of a focus on your background than on the Christian derived mainstream does not make you an extremist.

It's your insistence that it does - that these people whose values and existence so offends you should not have equal standing in our society - that makes you racist. It is your insistence that you * know * that these people are your enemies, that they are culturally unworthy of our country that makes you a racist, even as you display your ignorance. It is your insistence that random sensationalized bits of news and trivia provides enough basis to declare cultural and religious groups anathema that makes you racist.

QuoteYou say you "support the law of the land", but then you go on about making exceptions for every religious group.  Education, as determined by the province is mandatory until 14 year old.  Oh?  You're religious?  Ok, let's make an exception for you then :)  Maths, French, English, Science, Biology, all that boring and unuseful stuff the other people learn, we will dispense you for that, because you feel it's against your religion.  Oh?  You want to bring a knife in school?  Why not?  It's not like it's a bad idea to give kids weapons.  The NRA support the same, and they are always right, of course.  If everyone was armed to the teeth, preferably with a handgun than a stupid knife, we would all be safer.  So, let's bend the rules once more

I have no idea what you are on about, except that I'm guessing your reference to the knife thing is you getting yourself worked into a lather about the Sikh kirpan which is perfectly consistent with your xenophobic attitudes.

As for school curricula, of course private religious based schools will need to meet provincial standards. I've never suggested otherwise.

QuoteSo, by your twisted logic, if I rant against the Italian mafia, I am a racist.  If I rant about black street gangs, I am a racist.  If I rant about the Hell's Angels, I certainly hate Quebecers.
Go on, you are ridiculous.  Either you know it and you are trolling me, or you don't and you are fucking moron.

Again, you are making no sense at all. Comparing people who are not engaging in any criminal activities with criminal groups is straight up idiotic. How does the lady who wants to take her citizenship oath in a niqab have anything in common with the Hell's Angels? What are all these crimes committed by Muslims and Ultraorthodox Jews that you are so concerned about?

As a side note, the Hell's Angels are an international organization, so there's no particular anti-Quebec component to disliking them. We have them out here in BC, they're in the US, they're in Denmark and many other parts of Europe.

QuoteWhat is sad and ironic is that you don't, purposefully, do not make a distinction between religious integrists and normal people.  I guess ISIS and Saudi Arabia are representative of all muslisms.  So, to say I do no like Wahabism would be akin to throwing Muslims in a crematory.

I'm not a fan of ISIS nor of Saudi Arabian Wahibism as far as I understand it. What I don't accept is your hysterical attempts to link those with a lady wanting to wear a niqab or people sending their kids to private schools with a religious component to the curriculum.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on October 15, 2015, 03:49:47 PM
Wanting to send your kids to a school that schedules holidays according to the holidays of your faith and culture, and with social studies and language classes that has more of a focus on your background than on the Christian derived mainstream does not make you an extremist.

No but it does make you the kind of immigrant many cultures do not want moving into their territory.