News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Listening to Minister Fast attempt to explain the benefits of the TPP is painful. 

viper37

Harper is saying he's thinking for forbidding niqab and burqa for government bureaucrats.
I think he has no intention of doing that and he's just trying to gain more votes on the issue, those he may have lost with TPP.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good [people] to do nothing."

This latest nonsense has solidified my vote but certainly not in the way the Conservatives may have hoped.  When I reflect on my concerns about Justin being PM and the possible dumb things he might do, I consider the actual harmful things the present government is doing. 

Valmy

Yes...but will they actually do it?

I don't get the obsession with legislating head gear.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

The point is all along I have been worried that Justin might do something stupid.  Its still a risk but also still an unknown.  The conservatives are now promising they will do something not only stupid but harmful to the kind of country I want to live in.

It has become an easy choice.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 07, 2015, 10:16:12 AM
The point is all along I have been worried that Justin might do something stupid.  Its still a risk but also still an unknown.  The conservatives are now promising they will do something not only stupid but harmful to the kind of country I want to live in.

It has become an easy choice.

Well yeah outlawing wearing certain hats is pretty stupid, especially in North America where silly hats have historically been our thing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PRC

I'm turned off by the things Harper is speaking about as well and the whole cynical Niqab strategy appears to be working. 

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: PRC on October 07, 2015, 11:45:46 AM
I'm turned off by the things Harper is speaking about as well and the whole cynical Niqab strategy appears to be working.

It appears to be aimed at undermining the NDP in Quebec.

One gets the impression that Harper's cynicism on certain issues knows no depths. I think he'd wear a Niqab himself, if it would get him a majority.  :lol:

The sad thing is, he's right on some of the big issues on which he's not cynical - like trade strategy - and its those very things that are comparatively unpopular.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

The Liberals will approve TPP.  Its the only sane option and they will have Conservative support if its a minority Parliament.  So I am not concerned about that.  The Liberal deficit plan isn't a structural deficit and frankly whoever wins will likely run deficits anyway because of our economic situation so I am not too concerned about that either.  I will pay more tax and I wish it really was being shifted to the middle class rather than upper middle class earners but that isn't going to decide my vote.

Its the mean cynicism that has turned my vote.  I have always thought of Harper as a prudent careful person.  I have to think this has more to do with the Aussie guy they brought in to run the campaign and that he doesn't have a good sense of how this might play outside Quebec.  But in any event the fact they have gone down this road has lost my support.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 07, 2015, 10:07:41 AM
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good [people] to do nothing."
Which is exactly why I can't vote Trudeau.  Not doing anything is already bad, but pandering to extremists to get a few more votes is beyond insanity.  We should not tolerate silly religious practice that are contrary to our principles.  Should we let people eat their dead because it's their custom?  Should we tolerate forced marriage of 8 year olds because it's tradition?  Absolutely not.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

The conservatives are now promising they will do something not only stupid but harmful to the kind of country I want to live in.
I hope that country you want to live in never comes by.  A country ruled by extremists, able to impose their laws by perverting our democracy? No f*way.
Then again, the Cons have no real intentions of doing anything about it.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on October 07, 2015, 02:55:33 PM
The conservatives are now promising they will do something not only stupid but harmful to the kind of country I want to live in.
I hope that country you want to live in never comes by.

It is the country we have now

QuoteA country ruled by extremists, able to impose their laws by perverting our democracy? No f*way.

Exactly what I am concerned about.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on October 07, 2015, 10:24:48 AM
One gets the impression that Harper's cynicism on certain issues knows no depths. I think he'd wear a Niqab himself, if it would get him a majority.  :lol:
No, that's Trudeau. Making ads specifically targetted at muslims to wish them happy something (some religious event I forgot).  There's nothing wrong about it, but it's just sillyness.  Christmas greetings, I understand.  It's still celebrated in one way or another by lots of people, even non Christians.

The sad thing is, he's right on some of the big issues on which he's not cynical - like trade strategy - and its those very things that are comparatively unpopular.
He would be right on the niqab, if he was serious about it.  We can't let extremists have their ways, but Harper solely focus on Muslim extremists.  Jewish and Christian extremists should also be targeted, to make it clear we don't tolerate just about any sillyness in the name of religious freedom.