News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 28, 2015, 08:46:34 AM
I don't agree.  See the link above about the BC economy. Yes our economy is growing but not exactly booming.  Plus a lot of people who had been working in Alberta are looking for work elsewhere.  If the infrastructure being planned here is funded we will be able to absorb many of them.  My concern is whether the funding will be provided over the multiple years it will take to construct these projects.
Multiple years, like the Conservatives plan is the best option, otherwise, it leads cities to fund just about anything to get the money, without consideration for the real return on investment.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on September 28, 2015, 10:26:57 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 28, 2015, 08:46:34 AM
I don't agree.  See the link above about the BC economy. Yes our economy is growing but not exactly booming.  Plus a lot of people who had been working in Alberta are looking for work elsewhere.  If the infrastructure being planned here is funded we will be able to absorb many of them.  My concern is whether the funding will be provided over the multiple years it will take to construct these projects.
Multiple years, like the Conservatives plan is the best option, otherwise, it leads cities to fund just about anything to get the money, without consideration for the real return on investment.

I agree.  The funding promise by the Conservatives and NDP is a more efficient and effective.  Something I have noted about the Liberal infrastructure spending plan in this thread.  ;)

Barrister

There are regional breakdowns contained in the link.  They seem to show a noticeable NDP decline in almost all regions (except BC), Liberals increase in the Atlantic, COnservatives increase in the prairies, and both increase slightly in Ontario.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on September 28, 2015, 10:42:22 AM
There are regional breakdowns contained in the link.  They seem to show a noticeable NDP decline in almost all regions (except BC), Liberals increase in the Atlantic, COnservatives increase in the prairies, and both increase slightly in Ontario.

I'd like to see something more like a breakdown of every province and the regions within the bigger provinces.  That way one can get a better sense of who is doing well in seat rich areas.  Getting riding breakdowns would of course be the best.  But we are never going to get that kind of detail in Canada.  Too expensive for the polling firms funded by the media to get that kind of granularity.

Barrister

And Trudeau is now on record as supporting that terrorists should keep their Canadian citizenship.

It's a bold stand, to be sure.  But I'm not sure that it's a smart one (unless there are far more terrorists who vote in election than I was expecting).

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on September 28, 2015, 10:52:11 AM
And Trudeau is now on record as supporting that terrorists should keep their Canadian citizenship.

It's a bold stand, to be sure.  But I'm not sure that it's a smart one (unless there are far more terrorists who vote in election than I was expecting).

Pretty sure he isn't just appealing to just the terrorist vote on this issue.  ;)

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 28, 2015, 11:03:22 AM
Quote from: Barrister on September 28, 2015, 10:52:11 AM

Pretty sure he isn't just appealing to just the terrorist vote on this issue.  ;)

Then I have to admit I don't understand who he's appealing to on this one.  ;) It seems like such a no-brainer to me.

crazy canuck

That is because you are a true believer.

I think there are a lot of people who see the decision of the Minister to remove the citizenship as a one motivated by politics more than good policy.  There is a long tradition that decisions like this should be left to whoever the new Minister will be after the election.  I am not sure what was so urgent that the decision had to be made now rather than after the election.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 28, 2015, 11:17:43 AM
That is because you are a true believer.

I think there are a lot of people who see the decision of the Minister to remove the citizenship as a one motivated by politics more than good policy.  There is a long tradition that decisions like this should be left to whoever the new Minister will be after the election.  I am not sure what was so urgent that the decision had to be made now rather than after the election.

I think that's a valid critique, and it's the one Mulcair has made.  It opposes not the concept of removing citizenship from convicted terrorists, but in how it was done.

But that's not what Trudeau had to say.

Quote from: Justin TrudeauAnd I'll give you the quote so that you guys can jot it down and put it in an attack ad somewhere that the Liberal Party believes that terrorists should get to keep their Canadian citizenship, because I do. And I'm willing to take on anyone who disagrees with that.

That sounds like a statement only a terrorist would support. :hmm:

crazy canuck

I should also add I am troubled by the constitutionality of this provision.  Although I am not sure whether it is being challenged in these proceedings.

Josephus

Not a wise thing to say in a campaign for sure...although it's a noble statement.

As an immigrant myself, and one who paid some $50 for my citizenship, upon becoming Canadian I was given all the rights and priviledges of citizenship. If I engage in terrorism, I expect to be treated the same way as a natural-born, --or what's the term now-- old-stock, Canadian. Put me in jail for ever, if necessary; but deportation is wrong.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 28, 2015, 11:47:14 AM
I, uh, um, disagree.

Said like a proud person of old stock :P

It is interesting to me that the real issue will be lost in the rush to identify the Other.  The easy way for any "terrorist" to get around this provision is to renounce their dual citizenship in the other country. This is all about imposing a penalty on dual citizens only.

Grey Fox

I am of old stock.

Generation #13 in the house.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.