News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 01, 2015, 03:51:55 PM
And bad news for the Conservatives - their support is dropping.
bad news for all of us, given the alternatives.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on September 01, 2015, 11:19:17 AM
Quote from: Josephus on September 01, 2015, 11:06:31 AM
Quote from: Barrister on September 01, 2015, 10:34:23 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 01, 2015, 09:45:52 AM
Quote from: Josephus on September 01, 2015, 07:48:56 AM
Agreed. Even parties who make it their ideology to balance budgets never do-- so let's move away from that nonsense. Trudeau, at least, is the only one who admits he won't balance the budget.

As I stated above, the problem isn't that Trudeau is admitting he wont balance the budget or even that balancing the budget is important.  It is why he says he will not balance the budget.  He is going to engage in stimulus spending at a time when the economy is beginning to grow.  Better to keep that stimulus spending for when the economy actually needs it.  Also he is going to dump a large amount of money over a short period of time whether major infrastructure projects are reading for that funding or not.  I agree that we need more money spent on infrastructure but it is much better to have funding over the long term so that projects can be properly planned rather then the funding going to shovel ready projects that may be less of a priority.

The biggest problem (not directed at you but the way politics are discussed in general) is that the political discourse has become too simplistic.  The issue is a lot more complex then deficits = bad or deficits = good.

You know what - while I think there are complications and technicalities, we'd be a lot better off starting with the presumption that "Deficits = bad".

Then you'd agree that Harper's fiscal policies arent' any good since it's been a long while since he balanced a budget?

Except I can remember history.  In particular 2008/9, where Harper brought in a fiscally prudent budget, then the opposition parties formed a coalition to oust him from power on the principle that Canada should be running a deficit.

Can you remember anything a bit more recent? They have been in power since then, no?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

Apparently, Queen Elizabeth will surpass Queen Victoria in longevity of rule this month, to become Britain's longest-reigning monarch.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/queen-elizabeth-ii-to-become-britains-longest-reigning-monarch-surpassing-queen-victoria-10473729.html

I await Viper's celebration of this important event for Canadian politics.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on September 02, 2015, 10:50:12 AM
Apparently, Queen Elizabeth will surpass Queen Victoria in longevity of rule this month, to become Britain's Canada's longest-reigning monarch.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/queen-elizabeth-ii-to-become-britains-longest-reigning-monarch-surpassing-queen-victoria-10473729.html

FYP for context.

Valmy

Well if you count Canada as coming into existence in 1867 she has held that title for awhile.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on September 02, 2015, 10:53:49 AM
Well if you count Canada as coming into existence in 1867 she has held that title for awhile.

The Canada of 1867 was prefigured in the colony Queen Victoria also ruled over so I count the full years of her reign.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on September 02, 2015, 10:50:12 AM
I could throw a party at my house and invite you all.  You and BB could sing God save the Queen as a duo, perhaps even remixed to a metal beat?  That might make it tolerable ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Monarchist Party at Viper's House!  :punk:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

I just read today, in The Canadian Jewish News, which you should all take out subscriptions to, that Mulcair is married to a Jewish woman and his two kids are Jewish. Feck, he's done more for Judaism than Harper.

Monoriu

Quote from: Josephus on September 02, 2015, 06:26:05 PM
I just read today, in The Canadian Jewish News, which you should all take out subscriptions to, that Mulcair is married to a Jewish woman and his two kids are Jewish. Feck, he's done more for Judaism than Harper.

I refuse to subscribe to anything that costs money  :P

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on September 02, 2015, 06:26:05 PM

You ability to shill is impressive. :worthy:

Since I am not Jewish, and instead go to the same church as Harper, my vote remains secure. -_-
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.