News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Was disappointed with Mulcair overall, he sounded and looked like that professor in your universtiy classes who always made you doze off, halfway though his slideshow.
Trudeau looked stilted and well-rehearsed.
Green was Green, ultimately I wasn't paying attention to her.

I reluctantly am forced to admit that Harper did well. Stuck to his guns, defended his policies well.  :(

I did like that Trudeau used a Beatles reference. "number nine, number nine..."  ;)
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

PRC

A reptilian .gif from the debate:

viper37

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
"Would you want to play curling?"
:D
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Mulcair is done.  His MPs will hang him high :P
Thomas Mulcair Sang Praises For Margaret Thatcher's Right-Wing Politics In 2001

He complained that Quebecers were the most taxed in North America, that they had little money left in their pockets to buy a computer or connect to the Internet. He criticized the PQ for wanting its departments and agencies to have tentacle-like reaches into the private market and complained that "people had to wait for corporate welfare cheques before investing" in the province.

"In Quebec, the government is so omnipresent and plays in so many sandboxes at the same time that we can no longer speak of a free market," he said in the speech.

"A government should never have the pretension of being able to replace the free market. It does not work. It didn't work in England. Up until the time of Margaret Thatcher, that is what they tried, the government had its nose in everything," Mulcair said. "Interventionism is a failure.... The best way for a government to create riches is to let the free market thrive and get off the backs of businessmen and women."
:whistle: ^_^

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grallon

Quote from: Syt on August 19, 2015, 10:20:06 AM

:unsure:

:lol:  Terrible choice of marketing ads on the Liberals' part - that black and dark red background has been an object of mockery since they were first seen.  Many of them have been defaced or 'creatively edited'

http://globalnews.ca/news/2171984/liberal-campaign-posters-creepy-or-unique/

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Syt

Besides it looking like the cover of a news magazine I don't find the design to be particularly mockworthy. :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grallon

Quote from: Syt on August 19, 2015, 10:39:16 AM
Besides it looking like the cover of a news magazine I don't find the design to be particularly mockworthy. :unsure:

Because it's creepy and suggest horror flicks people have been making those photoshoped jokes online.  More importantly it associates the Liberals with a) creeps b) ridicule - never a good mix when you wish to win the electorate's favor.

-----

Incidentally I predict a minority NDP government.  It will be interesting to see a) how much the Conservatives will lose b) how much the Liberals will gain and c) whether or not the Bloc will resurface as a strong party in Quebec - or if this election will be the last straw for them.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Barrister

Quote from: Grallon on August 19, 2015, 11:25:19 AM
Incidentally I predict a minority NDP government.  It will be interesting to see a) how much the Conservatives will lose b) how much the Liberals will gain and c) whether or not the Bloc will resurface as a strong party in Quebec - or if this election will be the last straw for them.

An NDP government, minority or majority, will have to rely heavily on Quebec seats, so no, an NDP minority would mean disaster for the BQ.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grallon

Quote from: Barrister on August 19, 2015, 11:39:13 AM

An NDP government, minority or majority, will have to rely heavily on Quebec seats, so no, an NDP minority would mean disaster for the BQ.

I think you underestimate how deep the Harper fatigue goes, and not only in Quebec.  Alberta will no doubt cling to the PCC but I wouldn't be surprised to see several ridings in Ontario flip over to the NDP.  As for the Bloc, nobody is expecting them to return to the years where they were getting 45-55 seats - simply doubling their last score would be a major achievement.

G.

~Jean-François Revel

Barrister

Quote from: Grallon on August 19, 2015, 11:53:37 AM
Quote from: Barrister on August 19, 2015, 11:39:13 AM

I think you underestimate how deep the Harper fatigue goes, and not only in Quebec.  Alberta will no doubt cling to the PCC but I wouldn't be surprised to see several ridings in Ontario flip over to the NDP.  As for the Bloc, nobody is expecting them to return to the years where they were getting 45-55 seats - simply doubling their last score would be a major achievement.

But in order for the NDP to win they need to build on their seat totals.  BUIlding on those totals while simultaneously losing seats in Quebec is almost certainly impossible.

viper37

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on August 19, 2015, 12:29:25 PM
You can see the polls so far:
http://www.cbc.ca/news2/interactives/poll-tracker/2015/index.html

I learned my lesson - I'm not saying the NDP can't or won't win.   :Embarrass:

All I'm saying is that it is impossible for both the NDP and the BQ to do well at the same time.  They are competing for the same voters in Quebec.

And your link suggests the BQ will, at present, get zero seats.

Valmy

The Bloc cannot compete with a left wing party that might win the whole thing.

I never realized how dominant Ontario was in Canadian politics.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."