News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Neil on August 05, 2015, 11:56:48 PM
The only way to fix it is to use hydrogen bombs to destroy China and India.  The dust in the atmosphere will help counteract the CO2.
it's a tempting solution.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Anyone checking out the debate tonight?

Line of the campaign (so far!) goes to Kory Teneycke who says that Justin Trudeau will exceed expectations "if he shows up with his pants on".  I thought normally you want to raise expectations for your opponents, not lower them, but it was funny.  :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Monoriu

Quote from: viper37 on August 06, 2015, 10:14:05 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on August 05, 2015, 11:11:24 PM
Quote from: viper37 on August 05, 2015, 10:56:21 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on August 05, 2015, 08:41:05 PM
The key difference with global warming is that my individual actions have negligible chance of changing the outcome.  Even if I don't drive, don't use air-conditioning etc, the horrible outcomes will remain the same.  I cannot fix that.  Therefore, it doesn't make sense to pay the cost of attempting to fix something that is not fixable. 
It is fixable at a lower cost than doing nothing.

It is a prisoner's dilemma on a global scale, and I assume that everybody will betray me. 
ultimately, your government will levy taxes/trade tariffs to finance the costs and you will pay it, or your descendants will, wich means they'll screw you over to your pension funds.

I am confident that my government will continue its present stance, which is we don't give a damn.  Remember, I have the advantages that my government is not a demcoracy, and that I don't have descendants :contract:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on August 06, 2015, 04:33:35 PM
Anyone checking out the debate tonight?

Line of the campaign (so far!) goes to Kory Teneycke who says that Justin Trudeau will exceed expectations "if he shows up with his pants on".  I thought normally you want to raise expectations for your opponents, not lower them, but it was funny.  :)

The nice thing about this format is I can run it on my computer at work while I sit here and do some drafting.

PRC

Just started watching late... Harper is looking a bit shaken as the other three are ganging up on him and deservedly so since he's on top and the incumbent.

Grey Fox

While I watch this debate, I wonder if I will ever get a government that does any action that I agree or approve of.

Even the Conservative have let me down on that where the military is concerned.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

I think the problem is the real issues of this election have yet to emerge - its just too early.  So all we are getting are a bunch of talking points.

Grey Fox

PRC

Grey Fox

Quote from: PRC on August 06, 2015, 08:11:54 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on August 06, 2015, 08:06:39 PM
Justin, fuck you.

At least he remembered to wear pants.

Sure. I expect Harper to bring up the evil separatist but Trudeau? Fuck that noise.

crazy canuck

I think Trudeau accused Harper and the other leaders of not loving the country in the same way that only a Liberal can.

crazy canuck

My assessment.

May did very well.

Harper did what he had to do - he is the clear front runner imo.

Mulcair stumbled a fair amount which surprised me.  It is easier to be on attack on the House then doing this.

Monoriu

I was surprised and saddened that the NDP has a serious shot at winning the federal election. 

Then I thought it is not too bad.  At least the Greens are still considered a fringe party.  Thank goodness. 

PRC

Pretty close debate but I don't think there was any real substance on policy. 

Harper took the worst of it and that's to be expected when you have the target on your back. 

Elizabeth May probably came off the best, not that it will matter much. 

Mulcair was kind of bland in my opinion, but he came off well with his "We can't afford four more years of YOU!" statement to Harper.  That was offset by his continuous "we're still waiting for a number.  That's not an answer, what's your number, we're waiting for your number" bleating towards Trudeau on separation. 

Justin was bland as well.  The only memorable moment to me was his "NOBODY BELIEVES YOU!" statement to Harper. 

Anyways, it's so far out still.  I don't think anyone was convinced into switching a vote based on what we heard in this debate.

Grey Fox

It was really weird to see Lizzy have a coherent argument & a strong performance.

Her French debates have been disasters.