News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 16, 2015, 10:51:17 PM

Any evidence for the proposition that commodity prices have ever been or will ever be stable?

Josephus -  :lmfao:

Nobody can reliably predict commodity prices in the future.  But if government revenues are volatile, then expediture should be conservative.  It is easy to spend more, but difficult to cut back (see exhibit Greece).  A nation's finances are so important that they should be able to withstand the worst financial storms. 

crazy canuck

Quote from: Ancient Demon on July 16, 2015, 11:03:17 PM
Any evidence for the proposition that commodity prices have ever been or will ever be stable?

Not at all, but by saying there should be deficit spending to "weather the drop in commodity prices" implies that you think they will normally be much higher.

No.  I think that other parts of the economy need to be developed to diversify away from fossil fuels. It is easier to convince people of that fact when they are more aware of the instability in commodity prices.  And we are not going to accomplish that without leadership at the Federal level.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Monoriu on July 16, 2015, 11:05:18 PM

Josephus -  :lmfao:

Nobody can reliably predict commodity prices in the future.  But if government revenues are volatile, then expediture should be conservative.  It is easy to spend more, but difficult to cut back (see exhibit Greece).  A nation's finances are so important that they should be able to withstand the worst financial storms.

The lesson Canada can learn from the Greek example is that poorly timed austerity measures are the worst possible option.

Monoriu

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 16, 2015, 11:41:38 PM

The lesson Canada can learn from the Greek example is that poorly timed austerity measures are the worst possible option.

I think the lesson is don't spend too much, don't set up crazy pension systems, don't borrow too much, and above all don't put yourself in a position that you need to beg for money from others.  And don't hold referendums that do nothing but piss off your creditors. 

Grey Fox

Ok, Canada not doing any of that.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Monoriu

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 17, 2015, 05:55:53 AM
Ok, Canada not doing any of that.

I distinctly remember that when I was in Canada, the federal deficits and debt levels were shocking. 

Grey Fox

To you, you are no beacon of economic sense.

Monoriu

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 17, 2015, 06:57:18 AM
To you, you are no beacon of economic sense.

This isn't about economics.  This is about not needing to ask for help.  It isn't far-fetched.  Spain, Ireland, Greece, Portugal, Argentina, Iceland all failed the test.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Monoriu on July 17, 2015, 01:16:27 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 16, 2015, 11:41:38 PM

I think the lesson is don't spend too much, don't set up crazy pension systems, don't borrow too much, and above all don't put yourself in a position that you need to beg for money from others.  And don't hold referendums that do nothing but piss off your creditors.

That would be a good lesson for a country that is at some risk of doing any of that.  In Canada the relevant lesson relates to poorly timed austerity.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 17, 2015, 07:19:22 AM
That would be a good lesson for a country that is at some risk of doing any of that.  In Canada the relevant lesson relates to poorly timed austerity.

What is the non-poor time for austerity?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Monoriu

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 17, 2015, 07:19:22 AM

The downside of poorly timed austerity is slower economic growth.

The downside of spending too much is the IMF, the US, or China dictating terms that you need to enact laws within 48 hours to cut national pensions by half, raise GST, extend shop opening hours, transfer public assets to a fund headquartered in Beijing, and agree that your future budgets be vetted by a board comprising representatives from Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley, or face economic ruin :contract:

Grey Fox

Valmy

It is true. Austerity makes you free.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on July 16, 2015, 03:54:40 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 16, 2015, 03:52:57 PM
Quote from: viper37 on July 16, 2015, 02:22:31 PM
There's nothing wrong with their plan, no changes are needed.

Yep, you and BB are well inside the group that think that.  As I said, the problem the Conservatives face is I am not sure how much they can grow their vote holding that position.

I thought Vipes was being sarcastic ... either you have been wooshed, or I have been.  ;)
I was sarcastic :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

He has been unhappy with the conservativeness of the Conservatives for awhile now.