News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

NYC certainly feels that way. But even a city that size cannot dominate in the US to the point the rest of us feel any feelings of deference to it.

NYC is also a weird place with a lifestyle that is very different from a typical American lifestyle.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on July 13, 2015, 11:14:55 AM
NYC certainly feels that way. But even a city that size cannot dominate in the US to the point the rest of us feel any feelings of deference to it.

NYC is also a weird place with a lifestyle that is very different from a typical American lifestyle.

No, I think NYC really only has that power on New York state and then its surrounding area. Much in the same way that LA or Chicago dominate their immediate environs - but as you say, not really further afield.

As to that last bit. <_<
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on July 13, 2015, 11:21:07 AM
As to that last bit. <_<

What? It is true. New York is a pretty unique place in the United States.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on July 13, 2015, 11:23:05 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 13, 2015, 11:21:07 AM
As to that last bit. <_<

What? It is true. New York is a pretty unique place in the United States.

And unique is a different word from weird. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on July 13, 2015, 11:23:47 AM

True. My city is the weird one -_-

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 13, 2015, 11:11:41 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 13, 2015, 10:30:26 AM
Quote from: viper37 on July 13, 2015, 10:06:54 AM
Montreal is the center of the universe, everywhere else, it is a colony, meant to be exploited for the benefit of the metropole. ;)

Ah :lol:

It's a lot like Toronto & the ROC.

You are at least 40 years out of date.  I suppose that is part of the problem.  Quebecers have been so fixated on Ontario for so long that they have failed to notice that both provinces have become largely irrelevant to BC, Alberta and Saskatchewan.

Valmy

It surprises me that GF would miss this after living in Alberta for such a long period.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on July 13, 2015, 11:25:58 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 13, 2015, 11:23:47 AM

True. My city is the weird one -_-

Certainly uniqueness is out of the picture there. :P

Valmy

We are well aware of our "sister" city out west. Bunch of posers. We were weird before they copied us.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 13, 2015, 11:26:13 AM
You are at least 40 years out of date.  I suppose that is part of the problem.  Quebecers have been so fixated on Ontario for so long that they have failed to notice that both provinces have become largely irrelevant to BC, Alberta and Saskatchewan.
You overstimate the power of the west.  Even the Conservatives had to bend the knee for Ontario and bail them out during the last financial crisis and try that silly idea of a canadian SEC, wich meant even more control of our economy in the hands of Toronto.  The Libs couldn't care less about the West (or Quebec).  The NDP will promote centralization even more than the Libs, wich is good for Ontario, bad for everyone else.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on July 13, 2015, 12:41:07 PM
You overstimate the power of the west.  Even the Conservatives had to bend the knee for Ontario and bail them out during the last financial crisis and try that silly idea of a canadian SEC, wich meant even more control of our economy in the hands of Toronto.  The Libs couldn't care less about the West (or Quebec).  The NDP will promote centralization even more than the Libs, wich is good for Ontario, bad for everyone else.

Better answer: 'I may be 40 years out of date, but you are 1 year out of date; tumbling oil prices mean the West has to care about central Canada again'.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on July 13, 2015, 12:48:22 PM

Better answer: 'I may be 40 years out of date, but you are 1 year out of date; tumbling oil prices mean the West has to care about central Canada again'.  ;)

Alberta might care a bit more about confederation but I doubt it.  This isn't the first boom/bust cycle they have been through.  BC has never been dependent on fossil fuels and even with these depressed prices LNG export development is ramping up with multi billion dollar expansion projects.  Saskatchewan also has a more diversified economy.     

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on July 13, 2015, 11:27:40 AM
It surprises me that GF would miss this after living in Alberta for such a long period.

:lol:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on July 13, 2015, 12:48:22 PM

Considering that Vipes often cites grievances from the 19th century...

crazy canuck

The Conservative government of Canada says it will examine the agreement with Iran made by Canada's closest ally and the other most powerful nations of the world to see if the agreement meets Canada's standards.  Iran and the rest of the world couldn't care less what we think.  This is all about our internal politics.  I know we are in the electoral silly season but I am not sure whether to laugh or cry.  This was an occasion for our foreign minister to praise the efforts of our allies.  I think crying is the better option here.

QuoteCanada will keep its sanctions in place – at least for now – despite the nuclear agreement Iran has reached with major world powers.

Foreign Affairs Minister Rob Nicholson issued a statement saying that Canada "will continue to judge Iran by its actions not its words," and that the government in Ottawa will examine the agreement carefully before making any policy changes.

"We will examine this deal further before taking any specific Canadian action," Mr. Nicholson said in the statement.

That means Canada is refusing to follow the course set by its major allies, including not only the Obama Administration in the U.S., but Britain, France, and the European Union. They negotiated the deal with Iran as part of the "P5+1" group that also included China and Russia, and have agreed to lift economic sanctions in return for Tehran's nuclear concessions.

But Prime Minister Stephen Harper was caught between two allies on this deal. While Washington pushed for a deal, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has warned against it. So far, Mr. Harper is sticking with Mr. Netanyahu's doubts – though Mr. Nicholson said that Canada appreciates the "efforts of the P5+1" to negotiate an agreement.

However, Canada's refusal to lift sanctions will have little practical effect now. With the U.S. and Europe agreeing a series of measures to free Iran from asset freezes and trade restrictions, Canada's own sanctions will have little impact on the Iranian economy.

Mr. Harper's government has also been sharply critical of Iran, and it suspended diplomatic ties, closing the embassy in Tehran in 2012.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/canada-says-iran-remains-significant-threat-to-peace-security/article25499682/