Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 09, 2015, 10:14:05 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on July 08, 2015, 11:21:19 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 02, 2015, 01:30:50 PM
More evidence that taxation policy by referendum is a dumb idea.  The vote to increase sales tax in Greater Vancouver to fund transit projects failed to pass.  The infrastructure still needs to be built but now it will be significantly delayed while Municipal and Provincial politicians try to figure out other ways to pay for it.   

A referendum to fund transit projects?  How grotesquely American.  :P

Yep.  The huge irony is that polls also show that there is overwhelming support for increasing the transit infrastructure.  There was certainly a better way of doing this.

It was certainly way overdue, but that methodology did eventually work out for the Seattle area, and seems to be rolling along pretty nicely now.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on July 10, 2015, 04:42:52 PM
Quote from: Josephus on July 10, 2015, 09:40:17 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 10, 2015, 09:16:19 AM
Is there a reason we should think voting for the NDP is bad.  Is there something you aren't telling us?  :P

No. Of course not. But my point is, that the majority of people have always felt that way (see BB's paranoia). So if the media sell an NDP majority, you could start seeing a shift away as neocons start selling nightmare visions of a Stalinist dictatorship.

I'm from Manitoba and Saskatchewan. I don't need to evoke Stalin to know how shitty NDP governments are.

While that is possible, the current CP government, if allowed to continue, will simply destroy all the foundation own which modern Canada was built.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 10, 2015, 09:08:40 PM
While that is possible, the current CP government, if allowed to continue, will simply destroy all the foundation own which modern Canada was built.
and that is bad, how... ?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

For you? Because that means renewing, in all aspect, their love for the Queen.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 11, 2015, 07:38:04 AM

:lol:

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 11, 2015, 07:38:04 AM
but that was Canada's foundation, love for the Queen.  Another one, but still.
So they ain't destroying it! ;)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

I said modern Canada. You know, Trudeau built.

Valmy

Trudeau's son should therefore be made King of Canada. I propose a palace coup to overthrow the GG and install his most Canadian Majesty.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on July 13, 2015, 08:17:23 AM
Trudeau's son should therefore be made King of Canada. I propose a palace coup to overthrow the GG and install his most Canadian Majesty.

Well at least King of Quebec.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on July 13, 2015, 08:23:18 AM

Please. Quebec is a duchy at best.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

viper37

Quote from: garbon on July 13, 2015, 08:23:18 AM

Quebec is probably the place where the guy is the least popular.  Installing him as King would incite rebellion in the colonies.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on July 13, 2015, 08:56:13 AM
Quebec is probably the place where the guy is the least popular.  Installing him as King would incite rebellion in the colonies.

That to.

Quebec has colonies? Like in Vancouver?

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on July 13, 2015, 08:58:01 AM
Quebec has colonies? Like in Vancouver?
Montreal is the center of the universe, everywhere else, it is a colony, meant to be exploited for the benefit of the metropole. ;)

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on July 13, 2015, 10:06:54 AM
Montreal is the center of the universe, everywhere else, it is a colony, meant to be exploited for the benefit of the metropole. ;)

Ah :lol:

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on July 13, 2015, 10:30:26 AM
Quote from: viper37 on July 13, 2015, 10:06:54 AM

Ah :lol:

It's a lot like Toronto & the ROC.

From my point of view, NYC does the same in the US.