News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Well you were right Malthus.  The conservatives are going to keep trying to bribe the wealthier people in society to vote for them.  They are now proposing a scheme under which people can voluntarily contribute more to their CCP.  The catch is that employers do not need to match the contribution.  This will be yet another vehicle the wealthy can use to shelter retirement income in a manner that most will not be able to use.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/conservatives-propose-voluntary-canada-pension-plan-expansion/article24621263/

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 26, 2015, 01:26:41 PM
I really hope the country follows suit & we have a change of government towards the NDP & not just a fakeout where Ontario lets everyone down again.
Because Mulcair would be such a good Prime Minister?
The NDP will costs a lot to Canada.  But the Conservatives are to blame for this.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

Democracy sucks...unfortunately, to paraphrase old Winston, there isn't a better system.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on May 26, 2015, 03:40:26 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 26, 2015, 01:26:41 PM
I really hope the country follows suit & we have a change of government towards the NDP & not just a fakeout where Ontario lets everyone down again.
Because Mulcair would be such a good Prime Minister?
The NDP will costs a lot to Canada.  But the Conservatives are to blame for this.

The Conservatives have cost Canada alot, NDP cannot be worse.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

What have the Conservatives cost Canada?

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 26, 2015, 09:47:16 PM

GF just hates the Conservatives.  Always has.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Except when they talk about expending military spending :wub:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on May 26, 2015, 11:02:38 PM

GF just hates the Conservatives.  Always has.

No more than you hate the NDP and Liberals.  :D
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 26, 2015, 02:09:26 PM
Well you were right Malthus.  The conservatives are going to keep trying to bribe the wealthier people in society to vote for them.  They are now proposing a scheme under which people can voluntarily contribute more to their CCP.  The catch is that employers do not need to match the contribution.  This will be yet another vehicle the wealthy can use to shelter retirement income in a manner that most will not be able to use.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/conservatives-propose-voluntary-canada-pension-plan-expansion/article24621263/

Huh. Reading the article, I'm not so sure. While it is true it will only be available to those with the cash, is it really a tax shelter?

According to the article at least, it looks more like an idea the conservatives have pilfered from the NDP. At least, that't what the NDP are alleging.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on May 27, 2015, 08:48:12 AM

Huh. Reading the article, I'm not so sure. While it is true it will only be available to those with the cash, is it really a tax shelter?

According to the article at least, it looks more like an idea the conservatives have pilfered from the NDP. At least, that't what the NDP are alleging.

The difference is the NDP plan is to increase mandatory contributions - including the employer portion.  The Conservative plan looks a lot like the private pension plan scheme proposed by the Republicans in the US.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on May 27, 2015, 08:08:00 AM
Quote from: Josephus on May 27, 2015, 08:05:37 AM
No more than you hate the NDP and Liberals.  :D

Relevance? :hmm:

Have you been reading BB's rants about the NDP lately? ;)

crazy canuck

There is a pretty long list of policy decisions that could fall into that categorie.  But you won't read what I post so you will just have to live in ignorance. :P

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 27, 2015, 10:25:22 AM
Quote from: Malthus on May 27, 2015, 08:48:12 AM

The difference is the NDP plan is to increase mandatory contributions - including the employer portion.  The Conservative plan looks a lot like the private pension plan scheme proposed by the Republicans in the US.

Heh, looks the the NDP wanted mandatory contribution increases, the Libs wanted both mandatory increases and voluntary contributions, and the cons are going with voluntary contributions only. Sort of like a Goldilocks and the Three Bears scenario.  :lol:

Anyway, looks like any one of them would be better than nothing, but I actually like the Lib proposal. I'm not seeing an injustice in allowing voluntary contributions - it's less regressive than the various tax-shelter schemes that already exist. I think the notion is that the 'average' taxpayer (albeit one with cash to save, so not totally 'average') would do better with accessing the pension scheme, while the 'wealthy' would do what they have always done - rely on paid investment advisors.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Malthus, the mandatory increases come with employer matching.  Voluntary increases do not.   As a result the only people who benefit from voluntary contributions are those who have cash left over after maxing RRSP and Tax free savings accounts.  So who is that going to benefit?