Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on May 21, 2015, 03:34:53 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 21, 2015, 03:32:18 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 21, 2015, 03:30:17 PM
But Notley said from the very beginning she was running to be Premier.  If so, she should have acted like it.

You are being petty now.  So far she has sounded like the best Premier Alberta has had in quite some time.

She hasn't said or done anything yet.

You should consider what she has said about the Kinder Morgan project.  Perhaps read more BC newspapers?

I am sure we will hear more now that she has formed her cabinet.  The fact the swearing in ceremony occurred a few days later than the norm seems a petty thing to bring up.  Particularly in a province that has had one party rule for almost half a century.

Grey Fox

New Crop-Lapresse survey in Quebec show the NDP get a 10% bump in the province.

Trudeau is unsellable. :lol:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 22, 2015, 06:59:08 AM
New Crop-Lapresse survey in Quebec show the NDP get a 10% bump in the province.

Trudeau is unsellable. :lol:

Does that mean they will hold their seats or is there a possibility of increasing that number?

Grey Fox

A small increase is possible.

the NDP has 59 of Quebec's 75 seats, 78 this fall.

Valmy

59? Huh. The NDP is the second party now?

Oh yeah I guess they are. Guess I missed that last election...or forgot about it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

It's hard to remember sometimes with the Liberals having their boy wonder leader.  They get a lot of press.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josephus

Quote from: Neil on May 22, 2015, 03:20:48 PM
It's hard to remember sometimes with the Liberals having their boy wonder leader.  They get a lot of press.

Interesting. I agree. I'm sure if they did a poll of Canadians asking who is the official opposition leader, they would say Trudeau. Not...em....that other guy.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on May 22, 2015, 04:01:00 PM

Interesting. I agree. I'm sure if they did a poll of Canadians asking who is the official opposition leader, they would say Trudeau. Not...em....that other guy.

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that being the official opposition doesn't have the same importance as it once did.  Sure they get to ask the first question in Question Period but that has little significance most of the time.  It used to be that the official opposition had more importance in terms of funding and presence on parliamentary committees.  But, ironically due to the hard work of the NDP, most of those privileges were removed and now all opposition members are able to participate more or less equally according to their proportion of seats.

Barrister

Trudeau is out-polling Mulcair as well.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on May 21, 2015, 03:34:53 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 21, 2015, 03:32:18 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 21, 2015, 03:30:17 PM
But Notley said from the very beginning she was running to be Premier.  If so, she should have acted like it.

You are being petty now.  So far she has sounded like the best Premier Alberta has had in quite some time.

She hasn't said or done anything yet.
See?  It ain't so hard to be a good Premier  :showoff:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

The new Justice Minister, Kathleen Ganley, is a labour lawyer.  Fair enough, coming from the NDP.

What her official bio doesn't state was that she was called to the bar in 2012. <_<

To be fair she's only a couple years younger than me, so presumably law was a second career for her,  But again, her official bio doesn't state what that first career was.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Excellent choice. Under 50 is A+, under 40 is a major plus!

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on May 25, 2015, 09:59:29 AM
But again, her official bio doesn't state what that first career was.
flipping burgers? Union delegate at McDonald's? :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on May 22, 2015, 04:56:17 PM

Trudeau is out-polling Mulcair as well.

Perhaps in the Maritimes.  That may be the only place the Liberals win a seat this time around.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on May 25, 2015, 09:59:29 AM
The new Justice Minister, Kathleen Ganley, is a labour lawyer.  Fair enough, coming from the NDP.

What her official bio doesn't state was that she was called to the bar in 2012. <_<

To be fair she's only a couple years younger than me, so presumably law was a second career for her,  But again, her official bio doesn't state what that first career was.

Maybe she was raising kids, you know, couldn't afford a nanny, and so stayed home?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011