News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

It should be a political, not a judicial, issue. :mad:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

That's what happens when the Federal government is dominated by conservatives.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on February 06, 2015, 02:45:16 PM

The politicians have 12 months to make a law they can live with.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 06, 2015, 02:47:34 PM
That's what happens when the Federal government is dominated by conservatives.

:yes:

We end up with a Supreme Court that makes excellent decisions.

With the recent decisions regarding collective bargaining rights and now this decision I think we can put to bed all the talk about secret agendas regarding the appointment of Supreme Court Justices.  :P

By the way, it was a Conservative MP who proposed legislation which is very similar to the guidelines set out by the Court.

viper37

then what is the point of having a Supreme Court that can interpret the validity of laws if they can't do it?  Shouldn't we simply disband it and stop at Court of Appeal?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on February 06, 2015, 06:31:33 PM
then what is the point of having a Supreme Court that can interpret the validity of laws if they can't do it?  Shouldn't we simply disband it and stop at Court of Appeal?

It was his usual SCC troll.  ;)

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 06, 2015, 03:47:06 PM
By the way, it was a Conservative MP who proposed legislation which is very similar to the guidelines set out by the Court.

I believe you mean my very good buddy Stephen Fletcher. :showoff:

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 06, 2015, 10:58:58 PM

It's not a troll.  Despite my good friendship with Fletcher, I don't think such matters should be decided in the SCC.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on February 07, 2015, 12:46:31 AM
It's not a troll.  Despite my good friendship with Fletcher, I don't think such matters should be decided in the SCC.

I read an observation somewhere that the current government has a very low threshold for whether a law is likely to pass legal challenges compared to previous ones.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on February 07, 2015, 12:46:31 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 06, 2015, 10:58:58 PM

Ok, but so long as the Charter exists the Courts have to decide whether legislation complies with the Charter.  What you really want is the Charter to be either significantly amended or repealed.

HVC

The sun news channel is apparently folding
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josephus

Yup. It's done. God bless the free market.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on February 13, 2015, 05:11:06 PM

:(

Now the lunatics will roam the streets annoying people, rather than being gainfully employed indoors.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on February 13, 2015, 05:11:06 PM

It is ironic that their undoing was not being able to ride the gravy train of mandatory cable subscription ordered by the CRTC.

Also, one more thing we can be annoyingly smug about.  Fox news would never succeed here.

Josephus

I wonder if Fox can or cannot survive here. I mean it is on Cable packages. It has a bit of a brand name to it, and some more noteworthy pundits. But by and large, yes, the base that supports Fox News in the USA doesn't really exist here outside of Alberta.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011