News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: viper37 on February 17, 2015, 05:18:27 PM
I'm not saying they didn't discuss it, I'm saying the language wasn't as strong as when it's Quebec.

But I agree with Harper on this.  You can't veil your face for this, and numerous other acts, like testifying in court, registering for a vote, having your picture taken for a passport or any other identity card that requires it.

If they want to keep their veil on at all times, they're free to live in Saudi Arabia or Iran, they don't have to move here.  I don't see the point of these people coming here to enjoy our freedoms anyway, since they don't want to participate in our society.

Besides, we shouldn't tolerate muslim fundamentalists sent here to establish a beachhead.  It's not like we are in a shortage of moderate muslim immigrants, they can keep their fanatics over there.

I guess I'm one of "those people" in that I don't think "our freedom" of not wearing scarves on our heads is a particularly big deal, especially compared to the freedoms enumerated in our Charter.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on February 17, 2015, 05:18:27 PM
I'm not saying they didn't discuss it, I'm saying the language wasn't as strong as when it's Quebec.

But I agree with Harper on this.  You can't veil your face for this, and numerous other acts, like testifying in court, registering for a vote, having your picture taken for a passport or any other identity card that requires it.

If they want to keep their veil on at all times, they're free to live in Saudi Arabia or Iran, they don't have to move here.  I don't see the point of these people coming here to enjoy our freedoms anyway, since they don't want to participate in our society.

Besides, we shouldn't tolerate muslim fundamentalists sent here to establish a beachhead.  It's not like we are in a shortage of moderate muslim immigrants, they can keep their fanatics over there.

The language isn't as strong as in Quebec because nobody outside of Quebec agrees with you.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on February 17, 2015, 05:54:58 PM
Why shouldn't they be able to be veiled at a swearing in ceremony? :huh:

1) How do I know the person in front of me is who she says she is?
2) What kind of message about equality of men&women does that send?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 17, 2015, 08:29:25 PM
The language isn't as strong as in Quebec because nobody outside of Quebec agrees with you.
I guess Harper and his cabinet are all from Quebec, then :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on February 17, 2015, 08:44:32 PM

It is a ceremony. Who gives a fuck if they have already met citizenship requirements?

I don't think private citizens should be forced to choose their actions based on what sends the best message to wider society. That isn't this hypothetical person's job.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: garbon on February 17, 2015, 08:46:21 PM

It is a ceremony. Who gives a fuck if they have already met citizenship requirements?

I don't think private citizens should be forced to choose their actions based on what sends the best message to wider society. That isn't this hypothetical person's job.

Agree on both points. 

Now, if we're talking about testifying in court, or getting a picture taken for a driver's license, that's a different issue.

garbon

Quote from: dps on February 17, 2015, 08:49:16 PM
Now, if we're talking about testifying in court, or getting a picture taken for a driver's license, that's a different issue.

I agree on the latter but not so much on the former. As long as the court has taken measures to verify the identify of the person testifying (aka they could do so in an antechamber I guess), I don't know why a person must be unveiled to testify.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grallon

*sigh* :rolleyes:

As if a ceremony where a person pretends to be someone, for the sake of a solemn oath, yet cannot be identified as such because of his/her/its accoutrement, could have any value...

We should call you Fluffy rather than garbon...

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

garbon

Quote from: Grallon on February 17, 2015, 09:19:14 PM

*sigh* :rolleyes:

As if a ceremony where a person pretends to be someone, for the sake of a solemn oath, yet cannot be identified as such because of his/her/its accoutrement, could have any value...

We should call you Fluffy rather than garbon...

G.

It is a ceremony. It isn't really that important. Generally, I don't think the state should curtail freedoms unless there is a compelling reason. Something ceremonial doesn't pass the bar in my opinion.

Grallon

Quote from: garbon on February 17, 2015, 10:05:59 PM

It is a ceremony. It isn't really that important. Generally, I don't think the state should curtail freedoms unless there is a compelling reason. Something ceremonial doesn't pass the bar in my opinion.

And isn't that a testament to the Twitter era...

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

garbon

That ceremonies aren't that important? :unsure:

viper37

Quote from: garbon on February 17, 2015, 08:46:21 PM
She's swearing allegiance to the country.  She's not shopping.  She's not receiving a diploma for her best knitted fabric.

Not all actions, no.  But some important ones, like getting your citizenship in a country wich believes in men&women equality, yes.  Do you think we should allow a KKK Member to swear allegiance with his hood on?

Besides, if it dissuades such people from coming here and implanting their lifestyles, so much the better.  Radical relgious fanatics are not wanted here, as much as I'm concerned, but I know I'm in the minority.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on February 17, 2015, 08:57:48 PM
I agree on the latter but not so much on the former. As long as the court has taken measures to verify the identify of the person testifying (aka they could do so in an antechamber I guess), I don't know why a person must be unveiled to testify.
Unless there are serious reasons to do so, wich religion is not, but a rape case where the victim must testify could be, I disagree that a witness should be masked from her interrogator.  What with the right of having a full, fair defense &all that unimportant stuff.  I'ts extremely important to be able to see who's testifying so you can asses whether they are lying or not. Facial & bodily expression can tell a lot.  If a witness is completely covered from head to toe, you really can't see that.

Now, I'm ok for rape victims to testify in another chamber, not to be confronted by their alleged tormentor.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on February 17, 2015, 10:15:56 PM
That ceremonies aren't that important? :unsure:
that getting your citizenship in a new country is unimportant and your old traditions prime to your allegiance to this new country of yours.

Again, if a woman doesn't feel like she wants to integrate to the Canadian society, she can move to another, freer country like Yemen or the United Arab Emirates.  They will welcome her to pledge her allegiance with a full veil.  She will be free from Canadian persecution of her Faith.

I'm not asking her to swear on the Bible.  I'm not asking her to kneel before an image of Christ.  I'm asking her to show some politeness and willingness to integrate our society by removing her veil for a few minutes.  If she can't do that, she has no business emigrating in a non theocratic country.  And we certainly shouldn't split ourselves to accomodate all religions out there, crazy or not.