News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on January 27, 2015, 12:11:55 PM
Ah I see, you were posing back hypothetical of what happened to Canada. At any rate, I stand by (unless it became some sort of political/election scandal) that no it would be big news in the US. I guess maybe local news for whatever state was involved.

Given that the US created the Buy American policy to pander to political interests I find it hard to believe that those same interests would not react strongly if this sort of thing happened on US soil.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Nothing on Baird resigning?
thoughts?

Surprised me.  Given his youth and experience and pedigree, and international respect, I was thinking of him as a Harper replacement when Harper resigns after losing the election.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on February 03, 2015, 09:25:53 PM
Nothing on Baird resigning?
thoughts?

Surprised me.  Given his youth and experience and pedigree, and international respect, I was thinking of him as a Harper replacement when Harper resigns after losing the election.

My first thought was the numbers must look pretty convincing that the Cons will win and so there is no point in sticking around 4 or 5 more years waiting for his chance.  :P

Whatever the reason I think we have lost another of the good ones.

Grey Fox

Dude has been in politics for 20-25 years. Everyone has a breaking point.

If he retires now, he gets pension at 55. If he waits 5 years, he'll get it a 65. That's a strong incentive imo.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 03, 2015, 10:51:52 PM

If he retires now, he gets pension at 55. If he waits 5 years, he'll get it a 65. That's a strong incentive imo.

that's probably it. In the end, the Cons wanna eat off the public purse like anyone else.

Neil

Quote from: Josephus on February 04, 2015, 07:02:46 AM

that's probably it. In the end, the Cons wanna eat off the public purse like anyone else.
Of course they do.  Isn't the whole point of entering politics so that you can rob and steal?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

I don't think you are correct.  The only requirements for an MP to receive a full pension is that they serve at least 6 years and that they attain the age of 55.   He could have quit federal politics a number of years ago and still be entited to a full pension at age 55.  Also the age requirement of 55 doesn't change if he serves more years. 

Josephus

They did  change the rules and it does effect him if he runs again.

By not running in 2015, Baird also qualifies for his pension, under an old rule, at age 55. Parliament increased the qualifying age to 65 years old but that policy only covers those who are elected or re-elected in 2015.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/john-baird-resigns-you-need-to-be-defined-by-your-values-1.2942832

Jacob

Canadian Supreme Court rules (9-0) overturns complete ban on assisted suicide: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/Supreme-Court-of-Canada-overturns-ban-on-doctor-assisted-suicide-291047311.html?cx_navSource=d-tiles-1

QuoteThe Supreme Court paved the way for Canada to become the 10th jurisdiction in the world to allow some form of physician-assisted suicide this morning when it struck down this country's blanket ban on the practice.

In a unanimous, 9-0 judgement, the Court determined a total ban on all forms of assisted suicide is unconstitutional, determining it should be allowed if specific circumstances are met. Those include that only a physician can assist in a suicide, the patient must be a competent adult who clearly consents to have their life end, and who has a "grievous and irremediable medical condition (including an illness, disease or disability) that causes enduring suffering that is intolerable to the individual in the circumstances of his or her condition."

"The prohibition on physician-assisted dying infringes on the right to life, liberty and security of the person in a manner that is not in accordance with the principles of fundamental justice," the ruling states.

The court did not define any specific types of illnesses or disabilities that will be affected, but did say the suffering can be either physical or psychological.

The decision is suspended for 12 months to give the federal and provincial governments time to rewrite their laws.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.