News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Heh, Canadian politics at its finest!  :lol:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/quebec-fixer-takes-credit-for-clark-ouster-1981-pq-win/article19131195/

Also:

QuoteAmong the delegates Mr. Lortie signed up were candidates and supporters he recruited during the 1981 Quebec election, in which he said the separatist Parti Québécois asked him to revive the defunct Union National party to help split the federalist vote.

"They asked me to make a fake election for 100 candidates, so I said, 'Perfect. Me, I can.' I want to organize, I organize," Mr. Lortie said in the CBC interview. "I charge nothing. They pay for the expenses. Me, like I said, I like to organize. I didn't need the money. I did it for fun."

He said he recruited his wife, people from his office, his secretary's husband and dozens of other "phony candidates." The PQ defeated Claude Ryan's Liberals in the election.

Nice to know he was an equal opportunity bag-man.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

Liberal majority likely.

My riding....NDP beats PC incumbent.

Nobody reads newsapers
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josephus

Huge defeat for Conservatives
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

HVC

Quote from: Josephus on June 12, 2014, 09:33:43 PM
Huge defeat for Conservatives
hudak. Huge lose for him. If they had a more charismatic leader they would have done better. Plus he lost all the government worker votes
Right off the bat. 
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josephus

As much a loss for the party as it is for him

Ancient Demon

Quote from: HVC on June 12, 2014, 09:40:50 PM
hudak. Huge lose for him. If they had a more charismatic leader they would have done better. Plus he lost all the government worker votes
Right off the bat.

How could he have had many government worker votes to lose?
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Barrister

Good grief.

Ontario is full of some really stupid people.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on June 12, 2014, 10:28:50 PM
Good grief.

No.

Launching a campaign that says "Vote for me and I'll fire 100,000 of you"

Now that's stupid.

Grey Fox

Good grief.

Sure when Quebec elects Libs, it's the best thing ever when Ontario does it, it is stupid.

Pick a side, ROC.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

I did not see this one comming. Held my nose and voted Conservative, hoping for a minority government. Liberal majority.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 13, 2014, 06:18:29 AM
Good grief.

Sure when Quebec elects Libs, it's the best thing ever when Ontario does it, it is stupid.

Pick a side, ROC.

As you may know, just because they have the same name doesn't make them the same. Each province has its own trajectory.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Malthus on June 13, 2014, 08:42:17 AM
I did not see this one comming. Held my nose and voted Conservative, hoping for a minority government. Liberal majority.

Eh, I did the same thing back in April, voted PQ hoping for a minority government. Liberal majority.

:mad:

Maximus

My brother-in-law in Alberta sends his regards to the few good people left in Ontario. Do we have any of those here?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Maximus on June 13, 2014, 09:48:05 AM
My brother-in-law in Alberta sends his regards to the few good people left in Ontario. Do we have any of those here?

The NPD voters? Josephus & Sask.