News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

So I guess we won't be seeing any real senate reform in our lifetime. :(
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Depends if the Cons want to do the right thing or if they're scared.

They have the chance to build a new Canada and eliminate the seperatist threat in Quebec forever.  I'd say also insuring their eternal victory in Alberta, but that's already a given, so no gains there.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on April 26, 2014, 03:13:24 PM

They have the chance to build a new Canada and eliminate the seperatist threat in Quebec forever.  I'd say also insuring their eternal victory in Alberta, but that's already a given, so no gains there.

You are going to have to share with us what "the right thing" is. 

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 27, 2014, 06:12:49 PM

I would waste my time.  You think the Constitution is perfectly adequate and it is not a problem if it applies to a province who has never signed it.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Huh only 14 states ever ratified the Constitution.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on April 27, 2014, 11:41:44 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 27, 2014, 06:12:49 PM

I would waste my time.  You think the Constitution is perfectly adequate and it is not a problem if it applies to a province who has never signed it.

You wont tell me what you think but you are perfectly happy telling me what I think.  Wonderful.

Grey Fox

In simple terms.

The Canadian Consitution is fucking Quebec up, if you want to fix other parts of it and want to discuss it with Quebec you need to also address this.

I don't personnaly thinks that it does, it's just built up resentment over Daddy Trudeau. We should move on & sign the damn thing.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 28, 2014, 01:00:08 PM
In simple terms.

The Canadian Consitution is fucking Quebec up, if you want to fix other parts of it and want to discuss it with Quebec you need to also address this.

Ok, and what is the "right thing" that needs to be done.

Grey Fox

For Viper? That I really don't know.

For Lévesques back in '82, was give Quebec a veto vote inshrine into the constitution.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 28, 2014, 01:10:22 PM

For Lévesques back in '82, was give Quebec a veto vote inshrine into the constitution.

I still dont know how that provides the obvious solution for anyone.  It just means the Constitution never changes because there is no way all provinces are ever going to agree on anything.

Jacob

Quote from: viper37 on April 27, 2014, 11:41:44 PM

It's extremely unlikely that we'll be able to support doing the right thing regarding the Constitution if you won't even tell us what it is.

I mean, maybe you're right and we'll disagree with you whether it's the right thing or not, but the odds are probably still better if you let us know what you think.

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 28, 2014, 01:14:33 PM

I still dont know how that provides the obvious solution for anyone.  It just means the Constitution never changes because there is no way all provinces are ever going to agree on anything.

We just have more hindsight since '82. Lévesque didn't know that 7+50% was enough to basically stop any possible change.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 28, 2014, 01:17:25 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 28, 2014, 01:14:33 PM

We just have more hindsight since '82. Lévesque didn't know that 7+50% was enough to basically stop any possible change.

True

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on April 28, 2014, 12:10:08 AM
They all agreed to it by joining the Union.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on April 28, 2014, 04:42:57 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 28, 2014, 12:10:08 AM
They all agreed to it by joining the Union.

Well surely Quebec consented to the terms of the constitution when it voted against sovereignty in 1995 though?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.