News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 24, 2014, 07:36:39 AM
We now have a portuguese born as a our Minister of Finance.

It pretty hilarious to see and ear every journalist trying to pronounce his name.

Leitao
wait, a Porkchop named piglet? That's gotta be fake :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Grey Fox

Quote from: HVC on April 24, 2014, 08:35:43 AM

It pretty hilarious to see and ear every journalist trying to pronounce his name.

Leitao

Really, it means piglet?  :lol:

http://plq.org/en/team/carlosleitao
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Duque de Bragança

Leitão

Corrigido!

Also, the Prime minister's name is Couillard which is close to bollocks or bollocky (couille). Great pair, if I may say so.

PS: oui, leitão c'est cochon de lait (leite = lait).

Grey Fox

Forget it, no one here is ever going to write ~ on the a.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 24, 2014, 08:44:35 AM

Leitao

Really, it means piglet?  :lol:

http://plq.org/en/team/carlosleitao
you can call him piggy and still be technically accurate :P

HVC

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 24, 2014, 08:45:02 AM

Leitão

Corrigido!

Also, the Prime minister's name is Couillard which is close to bollocks or bollocky (couille). Great pair, if I may say so.

accents are hard. There's technically an accent in my name, but neither my father nor I use it.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on April 24, 2014, 08:51:31 AM

Leitão

Corrigido!

accents are hard. There's technically an accent in my name, but neither my father nor I use it.

Both of you suck but that's to be expected from an Anglo-Canadian-Azorean pidgin "speaker".  :rolleyes:

Valmy

QuoteLeitão

How is this one pronounced?  Famous Porkchops like the explorer Antão Gonçalves make me think it should be 'Leitano'.  Is that right?  I also think 'João' is pronounced 'Joano'.  I never hear Portuguese spoken so that has just been my guess from reading Porkchop names over the years.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on April 25, 2014, 09:26:57 AM
QuoteLeitão

How is this one pronounced?  Famous Porkchops like the explorer Antão Gonçalves make me think it should be 'Leitano'.  Is that right?  I also think 'João' is pronounced 'Joano'.  I never hear Portuguese spoken so that has just been my guess from reading Porkchop names over the years.

Bar bar bar bar bar? Bar!

Glad to have helped. It's all heathen gibberish.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HVC

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 25, 2014, 09:06:20 AM
Quote from: HVC on April 24, 2014, 08:51:31 AM

Leitão

Corrigido!

Both of you suck but that's to be expected from an Anglo-Canadian-Azorean pidgin "speaker".  :rolleyes:
my dads from Lisbon :P

Accents just confuse the white folks, so it's not necessary here.

HVC

QuoteLeitão

cant think of English sound that matches it, but there's no n sound in any of your examples :P.

crazy canuck

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 13, 2013, 03:01:36 PM
I think the arguments being heard by the SCC regarding the ability of the Government to change the rules regarding the Senate are fascinating.  :nerd:

My guess is that the Court will reject the governments argument that it can unilaterally alter the selection of Senators (by requiring provinces to hold a vote) as the selection of Senators is expressly dealt with as a matter which can only be changed via the amending forumula of 2/3 of the Provinces having 50% of the population plus Parliament and the Senate.

The more interesting question (for me at least) is what the Court will do with potential amendments that do not fall within the express scope of either the 2/3rd +50% or unanimity amending forumulas in the Constitution.  My guess is that the Court will rule that amendments which would abolish the Senate are such a funamental change that it would require unanimity.

And I was right  :smarty:

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on April 25, 2014, 10:21:39 AM
QuoteLeitão

cant think of English sound that matches it, but there's no n sound in any of your examples :P.

Seriously?  Then why is the female version of João is Joana?  Damn isn't Antão the Porkchop version of Antonio?  It just seemed like Diogo Cão should be pronounced Diogo Cano but I guess not.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on April 25, 2014, 10:35:44 AM
Quote from: HVC on April 25, 2014, 10:21:39 AM
QuoteLeitão

Seriously?  Then why is the female version of João is Joana?  Damn isn't Antão the Porkchop version of Antonio?  It just seemed like Diogo Cão should be pronounced Diogo Cano but I guess not.
yes, Joana is the female Joao, but still no n sound and Antonio and Antao are both Anthony in Portuguese, but I think Antonio is more common I believe. As for cao, it means dog and is a good example. Look up how to say dog in Portuguese on YouTube. That sound you hear is how to pronounce "ao"

My lack of accents is mainly to piss off Duque :P

*edit* Here you go http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amtCX21PkFE