News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

I don't have any strong feelings about these reforms one way or the other, although it seems a little bizarre that they don't want Elections Canada doing voting promotion, especially for the Conservatives.  I could support heavy restrictions or the elimination of robocalls.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

Quote from: Neil on April 15, 2014, 08:58:06 PM
although it seems a little bizarre that they don't want Elections Canada doing voting promotion, especially for the Conservatives. 
Young people usually don't vote Conservative.

I could support heavy restrictions or the elimination of robocalls.
elimination of robocalls would be nice.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Josephus on April 15, 2014, 03:00:39 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 15, 2014, 08:39:23 AM
We are in agreement!

What does BB & Neil think?

Not interested in my opinion?

I was wondering what our conservative Albertan bloc was thinking.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

Report out on the alternatives to the F-35, especially in terms of costing, is out; apparently the contents will be critical in determining whether Harper stays with the program: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/key-report-on-f-35-rivals-now-complete-1.1780498

I've never been heavily invested in procurement issues, so I turn to languish to find out what I should think about this...

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on April 17, 2014, 01:01:51 PM
Report out on the alternatives to the F-35, especially in terms of costing, is out; apparently the contents will be critical in determining whether Harper stays with the program: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/key-report-on-f-35-rivals-now-complete-1.1780498

I've never been heavily invested in procurement issues, so I turn to languish to find out what I should think about this...

The F-35 would be the most capable of all the other options... but of course it still doesn't exist yet, and the costs are escalating quickly.

The other aircraft mentioned are existing aircraft, the designs of which go back 20 years or more.

It's never been clear to me why the US doesn't just re-start F-22 production with a new "export" model, instead of continuing on with the F-35.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on April 17, 2014, 01:13:45 PMIt's never been clear to me why the US doesn't just re-start F-22 production with a new "export" model, instead of continuing on with the F-35.

I'm guessing that the people capable of making that decision are also heavily invested in the success of the F-35, and feel that producing and selling F-22 will take some of the steam away from the completion of the F-35.

Agelastus

Quote from: Barrister on April 17, 2014, 01:13:45 PM
It's never been clear to me why the US doesn't just re-start F-22 production with a new "export" model, instead of continuing on with the F-35.

Haven't they dismantled the F-22's production lines to make sure that this can't happen?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on April 17, 2014, 01:13:45 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 17, 2014, 01:01:51 PM

The F-35 would be the most capable of all the other options... but of course it still doesn't exist yet, and the costs are escalating quickly.

The other aircraft mentioned are existing aircraft, the designs of which go back 20 years or more.

F-22 was stricly an interceptor aircraft, no?  the F-35 is a more versatile platform.
Still the best, but seems to cost too much.  However, if we pour half the costs of the F-35 in a project that lasts half as long, I don't see the benefits.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

Feb 2013. Canadian parliament discusses possible zombie invasion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XZ9R2TUq94
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Jacob

That story did have one very unfortunate result...

It caused me to get involved in a political discussion on facebook  :Embarrass:

Valmy

Well we know he would have Toronto locked down.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on April 23, 2014, 03:41:06 PM
That story did have one very unfortunate result...

It caused me to get involved in a political discussion on facebook  :Embarrass:
:console:
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

We now have a portuguese born as a our Minister of Finance.

It pretty hilarious to see and ear every journalist trying to pronounce his name.

Leitao
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive