News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

This is probably where my knowledge of Quebec politics is lacking, but they Quebec posters are right - the Liberal support seems very steady in anglo regions, going back decades.

Francophones however seem prone to wild swings, in particular federally.  Going back in time you can see massive votes for Credistes, Liberals, PCs, Bloc, and now most recently the NDP.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

It's because Quebec Anglos are basically Eastern Ontarians.

Only recently did those Ontarians started voting for an other party than the Liberal party.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on April 11, 2014, 12:15:15 PM
This is probably where my knowledge of Quebec politics is lacking, but they Quebec posters are right - the Liberal support seems very steady in anglo regions, going back decades.

Francophones however seem prone to wild swings, in particular federally.  Going back in time you can see massive votes for Credistes, Liberals, PCs, Bloc, and now most recently the NDP.

The French are fickle and flighty. News at 11.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on April 11, 2014, 12:15:15 PM

It is about right.  I tried searching for "mood swings" in anglo ridings, but the recent NDP wave aside, I couldn't find anything.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

The Senate is taking an active role in Canadian politics, unanimously recommending against a number of provisions in the proposed changes to the Fair Elections Act. Whoa!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/senate-flexes-muscles-over-fair-elections-act/article17955323/#dashboard/follows/

crazy canuck

I am not so surprised.  Although this Bill has some reforms that I think are very important, it is also deeply flawed in other respects.  I just hope the reforms that I think are important dont die on the order paper because of the other stuff.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 14, 2014, 05:48:58 PM
I am not so surprised.  Although this Bill has some reforms that I think are very important, it is also deeply flawed in other respects.  I just hope the reforms that I think are important dont die on the order paper because of the other stuff.

I honestly haven't followed it much, though the Senate thing made me take more notice. Which reforms to you consider to be important?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on April 14, 2014, 05:53:41 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 14, 2014, 05:48:58 PM

I honestly haven't followed it much, though the Senate thing made me take more notice. Which reforms to you consider to be important?

The most important reform for me is the removal of election coverage restrictions.  The other important reform is putting in better guidelines so that the robocall type activities of the last election are clearly illegal.  But I understand why people are concerned about the other measures which impair the independance of Elections Canada.  The other issue that I would like them to take a second look at is the issue of vouching for a voter who doesnt have picture ID.  Much like the Republican attempt to require drivers licenses to vote I think that is a reform in search of a problem.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 14, 2014, 06:02:34 PMThe most important reform for me is the removal of election coverage restrictions.  The other important reform is putting in better guidelines so that the robocall type activities of the last election are clearly illegal.  But I understand why people are concerned about the other measures which impair the independance of Elections Canada.  The other issue that I would like them to take a second look at is the issue of vouching for a voter who doesnt have picture ID.  Much like the Republican attempt to require drivers licenses to vote I think that is a reform in search of a problem.

That all makes sense.

Grey Fox

I think restricting the mandate of Election Canada so it can't do voting promotion is akin to that creating problems problem.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 14, 2014, 09:14:37 PM
I think restricting the mandate of Election Canada so it can't do voting promotion is akin to that creating problems problem.

I agree, but I think it is worse than that.  Elections Canada should be encouraging people to vote.

Grey Fox

We are in agreement!

What does BB & Neil think?

Josephus

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 15, 2014, 08:39:23 AM
We are in agreement!

Not interested in my opinion?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Jacob

Quote from: Josephus on April 15, 2014, 03:00:39 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 15, 2014, 08:39:23 AM
We are in agreement!

Not interested in my opinion?

Who cares if he's interested; just share it!

viper37

These type of reforms, should they be voted by unanimity or with a very clear majority from the parliament?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.