[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on March 19, 2014, 08:37:03 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 19, 2014, 07:47:50 PM
Quote from: Josephus on March 19, 2014, 07:18:19 PM
So enough about Ontario and Quebec.

Looks like some shit going down in BB/Neil land.

I see the Albertan Progressive Conservatives are back to their old game of eating their young.

FYP.

*rubs hands*  Excellent. *rubs hands*

Yeah, perfect example of what I was talking about.  You guys are worse than the prostestants.  Whenever a group of Albertan conservatives have a disagreement there first instinct is start a new party.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 20, 2014, 09:02:18 AM

I see the Albertan Progressive Conservatives are back to their old game of eating their young.

FYP.

Yeah, perfect example of what I was talking about.  You guys are worse than the prostestants.  Whenever a group of Albertan conservatives have a disagreement there first instinct is start a new party.

There's not a conservative bone left in the Alberta PC Party once Ralph left.

What else can you do though - it's a small-c conservative party.  We've been ruled continuously by right-wing governments since 1935 (and arguably since 1921 - I don't know how to classify the United Farmers of Alberta government).  If you don't like the government there's no use looking to the opposition liberals or NDP.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Just as long as the Albertan past desires to screw up politics in Canada dont return I care not one wit how much you screw up your own province.

Neil

I wouldn't pay any attention to cc.  He doesn't have the knowledge to talk effectively about Albertan politics.

I don't see how this could possibly be considered a lose for the Alberta PCs.  They're going to be facing the next election much stronger than they would have been with Redford at the helm.  They've certainly come a step closer to winning my vote.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Neil on March 20, 2014, 11:00:16 AM
I wouldn't pay any attention to cc.  He doesn't have the knowledge to talk effectively about Albertan politics.

Alberta has elected two successive Premiers who havent made it to the next election.  Carry on "talking effectively" just dont let whatever you are doing spill over into the rest of the Country again.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on March 19, 2014, 03:06:24 PM
So are these news reports I've been reading correct, that the Liberals are now in the lead in Quebec?
http://www.threehundredeight.com/p/quebec.html
As of today, it's a minority Liberal government.  However, if they form a coallition with the CAQ and give them two cabinet seats, they have their majority.

However there are things to keep in mind:

• yes, there as been a "push" by the Liberals, they're running faster than the PQ, gaining points, while the PQ stagnates.  However it means nothing.

• There are still a lot of indecisives people, and it is estimated that at least 1/3 of the electors make their mind after the debate, wich is tonight.

• PKP has not had the expected effect on the PQ (wich is why the English Canadian medias overreaction was so funny).  A few hardcore leftists went to Québec Solidaire (communist party), but what we've really seen is that a lot of people don't want to take any chance and suffer more than they did under another year with the PQ.  Unless you're an artist or a social science student, there's no compelling reason to vote PQ.  Universities are underfunded and despite promises all they have are "tables" to discuss the problem wich will eventually lead to another "round table of concertation".  People in School boards feel they've been backstabbed by the PQ, who not only cut twice their funding, but blamed them for increasing their school tax after they'd been told to do so by the PQ.  So now, people don't want to take any chances at dividing the vote, and even if they don't like the Libs they tend to support them in a "anybody but Pauline" move.

• The % do not reflect an accurate representation of seats due to a concentration of the Liberal vote in the Montreal area.  In some places, a pig with a red tie would win.  Ridings are never exactly equal in population numbers, we all know that, it's an unfortunate byproduct of our electoral system, and they aren't any good way to fully remedy that, outside of having two chambers, a lower one and and an upper one, but it's too much for a simple province.  And besides, we have other mechanism of regional reprensations wich are vastly under utilized and could be reformed, if only someone had the will to do so.

• The PQ doesn't need the majority of votes to win.  Basically, if they hit the 35% mark, they stand very good chances of forming a government.  38% and it's a majority government.  Right now they're leading an offensive on all fronts: waking up the pro-charters (for wich the moderates now feel betrayed because the PQ could easily had ammended it to get 85% of what it wanted) by reminding them it wat the PQ way or no way at all, and religions extremists ready to take control of the province; attacking the hardcore leftists by reminding them Quebec Solidaire is not a seperatist party first but a commie party first and attacking Couillard on his past association with Arthur Porter, now awaiting extradition for fraud.  Any of these could tilt the vote by a few 1/10% in each direction, thereby increasing the odds of a stalemate or of a liberal minority government.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 20, 2014, 09:02:18 AM

FYP.

Yeah, perfect example of what I was talking about.  You guys are worse than the prostestants. 

:D
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on March 20, 2014, 03:58:03 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 19, 2014, 03:06:24 PM
So are these news reports I've been reading correct, that the Liberals are now in the lead in Quebec?
http://www.threehundredeight.com/p/quebec.html
As of today, it's a minority Liberal government.  However, if they form a coallition with the CAQ and give them two cabinet seats, they have their majority.

That will never happen.

I will probably vote for the Liberals. I am a one issue voter & this time my issue is Daycare rate hikes.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 21, 2014, 07:03:58 AM
I will probably vote for the Liberals. I am a one issue voter & this time my issue is Daycare rate hikes.

Solidarity brother!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Drakken

I'm still undecided, for the only reason that my vote is currently wasted. I am in the Soviet of Mercier with Amir Khadir at its head. Mercier is now a Communist castle-riding.  :glare:

It's Thunderdome, people. We have one bad, bitter, out-of-whack election campaign this year, no one controls its own platform message.

viper37

It seems Harper suffered another defeat at the Supreme Court.  Marc Nadon won't be joining the Supreme Court, after all, and Harper can't change the rules without changing the Constitution.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Drakken

Quote from: viper37 on March 21, 2014, 09:18:03 AM
It seems Harper suffered another defeat at the Supreme Court.  Marc Nadon won't be joining the Supreme Court, after all, and Harper can't change the rules without changing the Constitution.

Which makes me think he will get another whack on the head with the issue of Senate reform.

Hate to say I told you so, but...

Grey Fox

It's going to be hard when a 2nd Quebec seats becomes available, Harper simply doesn't want to appoint anyone from the Quebec establishment.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grallon

To think the Liberal mafia may end up forming the next government is enough to go on a machine-gun rampage.  <_<

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Jacob

Quote from: Grallon on March 21, 2014, 09:17:47 PM
To think the Liberal mafia may end up forming the next government is enough to go on a machine-gun rampage.  <_<

G.

It makes sense. I understand that machine-gun rampages are not uncommon when one mafia replaces another.