News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Anyhoo, my read is some Guillaume des collines is testifying before the Quebec Muslims Suck Committee, and he says:

"So I get on the bus, and WTF?  There's a dude on all fours praying on the floor of the bus."

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on January 17, 2014, 03:48:44 PM
... what's that supposed to mean?
The family visited Morroco.  They were appalled at seeing people in a Mosque praying on their knees.  They also complained you have to remove your shows to visite a Mosque.

So his quote, in proper english would be:
"So, I got back on the bus, and I said: Is it possible?  They are praying on all four, on a carpet!"

But it's like... Blueneck speech in Quebecois.  Their accent and the way they pronounce words would be similar to some stereotypical redneck in a movie, albeit in french.  Xenophobes at their best.

That these kind of people aren't screened for their arguments before a comitted hearing is beyond me.  It was bound to happen that people with nothing intelligent to say would try to testify.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on January 18, 2014, 01:35:45 AM
That these kind of people aren't screened for their arguments before a comitted hearing is beyond me.  It was bound to happen that people with nothing intelligent to say would try to testify.

Its because this process has nothing to do with making good laws and everything to do with political theatre to set the PQ up for the election that will follow the certain defeat of this legislation.  The real question to ask is why the PQ believes that this sort of testimony will help them.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 18, 2014, 09:33:51 AM
The real question to ask is why the PQ believes that this sort of testimony will help them.
These people do vote, you know.

Hard core PQ supporters aren't turned off by this, they see it as a conspiracy by the Liberals or simply a few lunatics that got out of their closet.  Nothing to stop them from voting PQ. 

Add a few morons, a couple xenophobes, and the PQ hits the 40% mark wich makes them majority government.  Throw in the charter, some protest by the Supreme Court that will tear down the Charter, and voilà, winning conditions for a referendum.

That is the PQ plan, at least.  Wether or not it will work remains to be seen.  So far, the Liberal Party seems to have its head in its ass, to say the least.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on January 18, 2014, 02:32:14 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 18, 2014, 09:33:51 AM
The real question to ask is why the PQ believes that this sort of testimony will help them.
These people do vote, you know.

Yeah, it was a rhetorical question.  It demonstrates what the PQ policies are really about.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

And what's the general consensus on Languish's Canadians?  Is Harper's stance better than the Liberal's was?  Is he the tool of the devil or the instrument of God?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josephus on January 20, 2014, 12:42:32 PM
Harper's visit to Israel is generating fair bit of press over there.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/harper-canada-stands-for-israel-because-it-is-right-to-do-so/

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/1.569559

http://www.jpost.com/Diplomacy-and-Politics/WATCH-Canadas-Prime-Minister-Stephen-Harper-addresses-Knesset-338777
Interesting pick of articles. My impression of the Israeli press was that by far the biggest bit of news was Harper (one of Bibi's closest international allies) criticising settlements.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josephus

I think Harper actually avoided all talk about settlements as much as possible on the trip.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 23, 2014, 06:37:10 PM
Quote from: Josephus on January 20, 2014, 12:42:32 PM
Harper's visit to Israel is generating fair bit of press over there.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/harper-canada-stands-for-israel-because-it-is-right-to-do-so/

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/1.569559

http://www.jpost.com/Diplomacy-and-Politics/WATCH-Canadas-Prime-Minister-Stephen-Harper-addresses-Knesset-338777
Interesting pick of articles. My impression of the Israeli press was that by far the biggest bit of news was Harper (one of Bibi's closest international allies) criticising settlements.
He didn't publicly criticized the settlements.

Sheilbh

Okay. The Canadian government did and the impression I got was that that was the biggest news of the trip.
Let's bomb Russia!

viper37

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 23, 2014, 07:54:59 PM
Okay. The Canadian government did and the impression I got was that that was the biggest news of the trip.
One local take on it:
http://www.torontosun.com/2014/01/23/harper-wont-single-out-israel

Grallon

Quote from: viper37 on January 18, 2014, 02:32:14 PM

Hard core PQ supporters aren't turned off by this, they see it as a conspiracy by the Liberals or simply a few lunatics that got out of their closet.  Nothing to stop them from voting PQ. 

Add a few morons, a couple xenophobes, and the PQ hits the 40% mark wich makes them majority government.  Throw in the charter, some protest by the Supreme Court that will tear down the Charter, and voilà, winning conditions for a referendum.

That is the PQ plan, at least.  Wether or not it will work remains to be seen.  So far, the Liberal Party seems to have its head in its ass, to say the least.

Sadly the latest revelations at the Charbonneau Commission might derail that strategy if it is one such.  But then again reactions so far seem to be fatalistic ("they're all corrupt anyway").  We'll see how the PM handles the allegations concerning her husband.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Grey Fox

What are we suppose to do? The FTQ(and by extension the mafia) has had it's hands everywhere since the 60s.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grallon

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 24, 2014, 11:41:29 AM
What are we suppose to do? The FTQ(and by extension the mafia) has had it's hands everywhere since the 60s.

Tear apart the Rand formula and break down the FTQ/CSN/the other one in small pieces - after gaining a majority.  You don't want to alienate your main backers just before the elections.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel