News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: HVC on October 31, 2013, 10:07:15 PM
but it seems like all along the star had more then enough back up to run the story, which has been shown to be true in the conference today.

I don't see that. Seems more likely they got lucky.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Look. The Star did nothing wrong. Never. Find a journalism school chairperson, or newspaper editor,  who says anything contrary.

Reporters report on what they see.

Most newspaper, (and other media) articles are based on that. If you see an interivew with your favourite hockey player saying "We won because we gave 110 per cent" do you need to hear the actual journalist's tape recording, or do you take the journalist at his word?

TWO journalists, (at least one of them a highly respected and award-winning one) saw the tape. They reported on what they saw, the same way they would report a fire, or a riot, or a hockey game. The editor of the largest daily in Canada trusted his journalists enough to run the story in which they wrote that they had seen a video, a few times,  of what appeared to be Ford smoking Crack. As I said earlier the Ontario Press Council also found nothing wrong with the story.

The Toronto Star and Globe and Mail each followed appropriate journalistic guidelines when producing and publishing stories about alleged drug involvement by Toronto Mayor Rob Ford and his brother, Toronto Councilor Doug Ford, the Ontario Press Council has concluded.

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on October 31, 2013, 10:07:15 PM
but it seems like all along the star had more then enough back up to run the story, which has been shown to be true in the conference today.

Not sure what you mean by "all along".  The Star tried to obtain the video so they could verify before publishing the story.  When they couldnt they ran it anyway.   The Star still hasnt seen the video.  This is all now because the Police Chief has said he has seen a video and that the video is consistent with prior media reports - whatever that might mean.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on November 01, 2013, 09:20:24 AM
Look. The Star did nothing wrong. Never. Find a journalism school chairperson, or newspaper editor,  who says anything contrary.

Reporters report on what they see.

Most newspaper, (and other media) articles are based on that. If you see an interivew with your favourite hockey player saying "We won because we gave 110 per cent" do you need to hear the actual journalist's tape recording, or do you take the journalist at his word?

You of all people should know that context is important  ;)  Who cares whether a hockey player is saying something that is accurate or whether the quote is accurate.  Who cares whether they gave 110 percent or merely the physically possible 100%.  Who cares if it is hyperbole or not.  Hyperbole is the sports reporters stock in trade.

When it comes to politics I would hope for a higher standard of ethics and reporting than merely being able to say "we did nothing wrong".  OK so the level of reporting met the meagre test of not being defamatory.  Well done.  /golf clap.

QuoteTWO journalists, (at least one of them a highly respected and award-winning one) saw the tape. They reported on what they saw, the same way they would report a fire, or a riot, or a hockey game

You of all people should know that when reporters are covering stories in which the facts are disputed they have to be more careful than that.  This isnt just reporting on "what they saw".   What they saw came from a disreputable source and could easily have been altered.  That is why the Star tried to get the video in the first place. 

Josephus

For the record the Ontario Press Council does not rule on whether a story is defamatory.

That's a court thing. It's a legal thing. It's actually not a "meagre test".  It involves judges, and lawyers. You of all people should know.

The OPC deals with matters concerning fairness of news coverage, relevance, balance and accuracy. This story passed that test according to the independent body that rules on that.

You might disagree. Write a letter.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on November 01, 2013, 10:05:25 AM
For the record the Ontario Press Council does not rule on whether a story is defamatory.

I dont think anyone is confused about that. But they did use the same test as that used in defamation claims to make their determination.

As I said, wonderful, they didnt run afoul of the minimum standard.  But they did report on seeing a video that they could not authenticate and it is only with hindsight that they are in a sense "vindicated".

And btw you are the one that picked this fight with the bs inference that anyone here said the reporters were making stuff up. ;)

That aside I think, by far, the most interesting part of this story are facts which are beyond doubt.

1) The person who is alleged to have had the video is dead
2) The video was obtained by police in the posession of a close associate of the mayor
3) The mayor has always denied the existence of the video.  Which has always struck me as odd.  If someone said they had video of me smoking crack I wouldnt deny the existence of the video (how do I know what someone might have created).  I would be denying that I ever smoked crack.

Josephus

Funny thing is I was never calling you out so much with what you call the bs. If you go back and check out those old posts, there was a lot of inference that the whole thing could be made up cause the Star hates Ford. I never said it was your inference.

Let's agree to disagree...

except on your three points. Yes, those are all interesting ones

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on November 01, 2013, 11:47:37 AM
Let's agree to disagree...

We can agree the inference that the Star published because they were out to get him is bs.   My only beef with them is, well you know by now. :)

Josephus

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Despite all their blemishes the Conservatives do what they say they will do on fiscal matters.

Malthus

Assuming they are not cooking the books somehow, this is awesome news.  :)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on November 12, 2013, 05:19:19 PM
Assuming they are not cooking the books somehow, this is awesome news.  :)

I dont think they are cooked in that way.  From all reports they are making very conservative estimates (no pun intended) and that the likelihood is that the surplus will be larger than forecast.  And so the "cooking" to the extent it exists is to downplay the potential surplus.  This is probably a prudent thing to do from a fiscal management perpective but it also more in line with the way Harper wishes to govern.  As opposed the the Liberal's version of spending surpluses Harper seems to want to run balanced budgets by decreasing the governments take as he goes.

It is more difficult to do and less flashy but in the end I much prefer that to the old Liberal candy shop approach.

Neil

Yeah, they were saying that they had a 3 billion dollar cushion factored into that surplus.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.