News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Still better than Karen Stintz
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on October 31, 2013, 03:44:54 PM
Still better than Karen Stintz

Well, you gotta admit, she's easier on the eyes than Rob Ford.

Of course, that's not much of a distinction.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on October 31, 2013, 11:40:32 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 31, 2013, 11:00:17 AM
Are you misinterpreting the original criticism or did you geniunely not understand it?

And if they didn't nothing would have come to light.

Why do you say there is a link between the initial report and the ongoing police investigation?

This latest story broke because lawyers for the media obtained an order that some of the matierals related to a warrant be released to the press.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on October 31, 2013, 02:50:29 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 31, 2013, 02:43:19 PM
I do wonder if this is finally the end for Ford.

I for one will not be sorry if I never have to hear the words "Ford" and "crack" in the same sentence again ... for one, my brain usually punishes me by inserting the word "sweaty" in there.  :P

The latest poll numbers (albeit before the warrant was released) had him around 50% support in Toronto.

Teh Toronto Sun, his main base, is calling for him to step down.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 31, 2013, 05:04:46 PM
Are you misinterpreting the original criticism or did you geniunely not understand it?

Why do you say there is a link between the initial report and the ongoing police investigation?

This latest story broke because lawyers for the media obtained an order that some of the matierals related to a warrant be released to the press.

The police investigated Ford after the toronto star story broke.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on October 31, 2013, 05:14:15 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 31, 2013, 05:04:46 PM

The police investigated Ford after the toronto star story broke.

Why do you think that?

Josephus

Mostly because my reading extends to more than Languish

Here's just  a sampling of what I read today that makes me think what I've known all along.

Toronto police assigned one of its most senior detectives to specifically investigate allegations that Ford is captured on a cell phone smoking crack cocaine, according to the documents.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/10/31/rob-ford-crack-video-the-focus-of-investigation-drug-trafficking-search-warrant-documents-say/

Earlier Thursday a police document was released to the public, showing that the alleged video of Ford was the focus of an investigation that led to the arrest of his friend.
According to the document, police launched an investigation following the initial Gawker and Star reports.

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/toronto-mayor-rob-ford-says-he-has-no-reason-to-resign-1.1521951

In a heavily censored portion of the document, police said that the day after the world learned news of the video that appeared to show Ford smoking crack cocaine, top homicide detective Sgt. Gary Giroux was assigned to "investigate the existence of a cellular phone containing a video of Ford smoking crack cocaine."

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/10/31/rob_ford_crack_cocaine_scandal_police_photographed_mayor_in_multiple_meetings_with_alleged_drug_dealer.html

HVC

Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on October 31, 2013, 05:40:36 PM
Mostly because my reading extends to more than Languish

Here's just  a sampling of what I read today that makes me think what I've known all along.

What you have known all along is as little as the rest of us which is that a reporter says he thought he saw Ford on a tape shown to him by a drug dealer that he couldnt verify because he couldnt get the tape.  Nobody has said the reporter was making that up - your favourite spin.  But people have been critical of the report going public when it did so that they could get the scoop without first being able to verify the authenticity of what the reporter thought he saw.  And since your reading extends beyond languish you will know that people beyond Languish are also critical of the way the story was initially handled.

Also you will recall that both Malthus and I observed that Ford was subsequently acting in a way that made it hard to accept his denials.  It is good to see that our suspicions were correct.  But the fact the police have now verified the tape doesnt change the fact that this was reported before it could be verified.

And now back to my question that you havent yet answered.  Why is it that you think the police would not have investigated this unless the story had been made public?  ie do you really think that the police would not have followed up on the reporter's tip if it had not been made public?

What concerns me is your logic would seem to justify publication of all allegations on the chance that the police might eventually vindicate them. 

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on October 31, 2013, 05:50:34 PM

Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.

The sad thing is that too often the press goes with stories that are remotely true.

HVC

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 31, 2013, 10:03:56 PM
Quote from: HVC on October 31, 2013, 05:50:34 PM

The sad thing is that too often the press goes with stories that are remotely true.
I actually like Rob ford (he's entertaining at the least), and he's sadly better then a lot of his competition. And really, the mayor has very little real power anyways, but it seems like all along the star had more then enough back up to run the story, which has been shown to be true in the conference today.

Fireblade

I heard a rumor that Stephen Harper was the one taping Rob Ford smoking crack. Albertans, confirm or deny?

daveracher

Send him to the Senate, the Duffy and Ford Happy Time fun show.
Birdman of Burlington