News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on October 24, 2013, 10:26:31 AM
First, the colonial past & monarchy worshipping, as if not offensive enough was followed by a whitewash of the Acadians expulsion out of

No one, outside of you, gives a shit about that.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

Harper is the kind of leader that the Conservatives need.  The secretive, autocratic nature of his rule is a result of having large sectors of the media out for their blood in an effort to prove a 'secret agenda'.  It's only natural that someone would play their cards pretty close to their vest in such a situation, where even the slightest thing would be jumped on as proof of GOP-ism.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

When Harper took control of the party social conservative MPs like Randy White lost the election.  Immediately after Harper took steps to make sure that didnt happen again.  It worked.  The social conservatives in the party have been put to the sidelines so that Conservative rule in this country is no longer just an afterthought we have every 20 years or so.

Neil

Yeah.  Despite the fact that social conservatism as an idea is worthy and valuable, the particular brands of social conservatism that are popular in the backbenches don't tend to engender much love from Canadians.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 24, 2013, 10:42:07 AM
Quote from: viper37 on October 24, 2013, 10:26:31 AM
First, the colonial past & monarchy worshipping, as if not offensive enough was followed by a whitewash of the Acadians expulsion out of

No one, outside of you, gives a shit about that.
The polls seems to shift in favour of Marois lately.  Whatever their reasons, the Feds aren't helping.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Neil on October 24, 2013, 01:46:41 PM
Despite the fact that social conservatism as an idea is worthy and valuable,
are you trolling again?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Neil

Quote from: viper37 on October 24, 2013, 08:03:20 PM
Quote from: Neil on October 24, 2013, 01:46:41 PM
Despite the fact that social conservatism as an idea is worthy and valuable,
are you trolling again?
I approve of the idea of social conservatism, although not in the way that most social conservatives would like.

Josephus

Toronto Star Makes Shit Up Again?

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/10/31/rob_ford_crack_cocaine_scandal_police_photographed_mayor_in_multiple_meetings_with_alleged_drug_dealer.html

Toronto Police have recovered the video that appears to show Mayor Rob Ford smoking crack cocaine, Toronto police Chief Bill Blair said Thursday.
Blair said at a press conference, "The video files depict images that are consistent with what has previously been reported" in the media.
Ford has long denied the video existed.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Are you misinterpreting the original criticism or did you geniunely not understand it?

garbon

My those reporters look dreadful.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 31, 2013, 11:00:17 AM
Are you misinterpreting the original criticism or did you geniunely not understand it?

What that the Toronto Star shouldn't have reported the story? And if they didn't nothing would have come to light.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

I do wonder if this is finally the end for Ford.

I for one will not be sorry if I never have to hear the words "Ford" and "crack" in the same sentence again ... for one, my brain usually punishes me by inserting the word "sweaty" in there.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on October 31, 2013, 02:43:19 PM

I for one will not be sorry if I never have to hear the words "Ford" and "crack" in the same sentence again ... for one, my brain usually punishes me by inserting the word "sweaty" in there.  :P

The latest poll numbers (albeit before the warrant was released) had him around 50% support in Toronto.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on October 31, 2013, 02:50:29 PM

The latest poll numbers (albeit before the warrant was released) had him around 50% support in Toronto.

What happens if the allegations of drug-use and cover-up are true? Would he be charged with stuff? And of he's charged, does he stay being mayor? Or does he only get the boot if he's actually convicted?

I honestly don't know.

Most, I imagine, would resign if serious charges were brought against them which look on their face to be true, but I suspect Rob Ford won't.   
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on October 31, 2013, 02:56:16 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 31, 2013, 02:50:29 PM

What happens if the allegations of drug-use and cover-up are true? Would he be charged with stuff? And of he's charged, does he stay being mayor? Or does he only get the boot if he's actually convicted?

I honestly don't know.

Most, I imagine, would resign if serious charges were brought against them which look on their face to be true, but I suspect Rob Ford won't.

Well I think the public kind of assumes the drug use is true at this point.

Being charged with an offence would probably change things (no idea if he'd be automatically removed or what), but as long as he avoids being charged, if he can maintain political popularity there's nothing that can force him to resign.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.