News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Seems like, especially with your desire to conduct international relations, you should just push for separatism rather than weakening Canada's federal government to the point that it barely exists.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on August 18, 2013, 09:15:32 AM
Seems like, especially with your desire to conduct international relations, you should just push for separatism rather than weakening Canada's federal government to the point that it barely exists.
We'de need economical union, defense union, political union for common interests... It would getting out of Canada to re-enter at our convenience.  It works fine in some strategy game, doesn't work that well in real life.

We have a multitude of treaties signed in Canada's name, we'd need to redo the work all over again.  Meanwhile, no NAFTA, no NATO contracts, no UN committees, no WTC, etc, etc.  It'd be chaos.  Plus, the leftists would be in power.

As I said before, you don't form a country out of love for everyone else.  If that were the case, the United States would never had existed, they did came to blows 80 years later, after all.

I think in time, Canadians will realize the wiseness of our positions.  Often, they already do, they ask the Feds for the same thing we do.  But Canadians have this irrational fear&hatred of seperatists wich blinds them to everything.

That's why in a decentralized country, it doesn't matter.  The US is far more decentralized than Canada, btw.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Neil

And the US is a fucking catastrophe.  You can go wrong being overly centralized, but this is the 21st century.  Large systems are the way of the future.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

Quote from: Neil on August 18, 2013, 11:01:31 AM
And the US is a fucking catastrophe.  You can go wrong being overly centralized, but this is the 21st century.  Large systems are the way of the future.
Russia said the same in the early 20th.  It didn't work that well.
Big states lack the necessary flexibility to survive the challenges that appear.  Look at many big corporations "too big too fail".  They avoided failure because smaller states rushed to their rescue, not because of their inherent strenght.
The European colonial powers crumbled under their weight in the later half the 20th century.
The actual European union is struggling with one feet in a centralized government and the other with regional autonomy, not knowing what to do, and it resulted in an economical mess.

Centralization is good for smaller mono-cultural states.  Just like the world of businesses.  An SMB can be heavily centralized, all functions residing in the hands of its CEO.  A bigger company could not work like that.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Neil

I think that the too big to fail corporations didn't fail because the US federal government came in to rescue them.  And the US federal government is the largest body around.  The European colonial powers crumbled because they weren't interested in being colonial powers anymore, and found other things more interesting.  The hard part of centralization is finding the sweet spot that allows for some level on local initiative, but balkanization is never the answer, especially when we're talking about giving every goofy ethnic minority some level of self-determination.  But that's not really what we're talking about here, since if you guys ever get your way, you'll crush the Indians unless they submit to French rule.  There's nothing principled about the Quebec viewpoint, it's just the same old 19th-20th century ethnic chauvinism.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

Quote from: Neil on August 18, 2013, 01:04:06 PM
The European colonial powers crumbled because they weren't interested in being colonial powers anymore,
Wich explains wars like Angola, Algeria, Indochine...  Or maybe not

QuoteBut that's not really what we're talking about here, since if you guys ever get your way, you'll crush the Indians unless they submit to French rule. 
I'd say they are probably better treated here than in the rest of Canada.  Within the limits of provincial power, many bands have achieved a great deal of autonomy on their reservations and the surrounding territories.

There's nothing principled about the Quebec viewpoint, it's just the same old 19th-20th century ethnic chauvinism.
While Canada is an enlightened country.  Of course, I've heard it all before.  Indians have zero problems in Canada, they're all happy folks worshipping the Queen.

Razgovory

If the left, they couldn't blame the rest of Canada for all their problems.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on August 18, 2013, 09:50:16 PM

If the left, they couldn't blame the rest of Canada for all their problems.

Well yes then they'd actually have to confront real issues.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: viper37 on August 18, 2013, 09:45:55 PM
Quote from: Neil on August 18, 2013, 01:04:06 PM
The European colonial powers crumbled because they weren't interested in being colonial powers anymore,
Wich explains wars like Angola, Algeria, Indochine...  Or maybe not
None of those places are in Europe.

HVC

While Canada is an enlightened country.  Of course, I've heard it all before.  Indians have zero problems in Canada, they're all happy folks worshipping the Queen.
I get all your other griping, I don't agree, but I can see where you're coming fun, but I can't understand your weird distaste for the Queen.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on August 18, 2013, 12:55:11 PM
Centralization is good for smaller mono-cultural states.  Just like the world of businesses.  An SMB can be heavily centralized, all functions residing in the hands of its CEO.  A bigger company could not work like that.

What?

HVC

Small and Medium Business. He's trying to confuse you with accounting talk :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

There's nothing principled about the Quebec viewpoint, it's just the same old 19th-20th century ethnic chauvinism.

Actually our first nations have a weird reverance for the Queen.  They like to go on about how they signed their treaties with the Queen, and not Canada, so they periodically appeal to Buckingham Palace when they have a dispute with Ottawa.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grallon

Quote from: viper37 on August 18, 2013, 10:44:27 AM

I think in time, Canadians will realize the wiseness of our positions.  Often, they already do, they ask the Feds for the same thing we do.  But Canadians have this irrational fear&hatred of seperatists wich blinds them to everything.

That's why in a decentralized country, it doesn't matter.  The US is far more decentralized than Canada, btw.

They don't want to decentralize and they are the majority in this godsdam federation...   It's because of people like you we're stuck in limbo - not going anywhere and remaining under the thumb of foreigners.   <_<

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on August 19, 2013, 10:53:12 AM
Small and Medium Business. He's trying to confuse you with accounting talk :P

I know what SMB means.  The rest of it is what makes no sense.