News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Foreign Policy on Canadian oil and Harper: http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2013/06/24/oh_canada?page=0,0

They don't seem to approve.

Which confuses me a bit, but maybe this Foreign Policy is different than the Foreign Policy magazine I used to read?

Neil

Somebody let an environmentalist weirdo write an article.  No biggie.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Maybe you're confusing it with Foreign Affairs?  I've never heard of Foreign Policy magazine.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 29, 2013, 07:09:34 PM
If you guys keep posting every time a Mayor in Quebec is found to be corrupt this is going to get pretty monotonous.  Why dont you wait until you can post about one that isnt.
Well, we can't do it about Canada, because corruption and election fraud are apprently not illegal outside Quebec.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

Quote from: viper37 on June 30, 2013, 05:10:07 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 29, 2013, 07:09:34 PM
If you guys keep posting every time a Mayor in Quebec is found to be corrupt this is going to get pretty monotonous.  Why dont you wait until you can post about one that isnt.
Well, we can't do it about Canada, because corruption and election fraud are apprently not illegal outside Quebec.
we keep our corruption in the family (Hazel) or in a crackpipe. The mob is what makes it news worthy :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 30, 2013, 04:05:12 PM
Maybe you're confusing it with Foreign Affairs?  I've never heard of Foreign Policy magazine.

Yes! That's it. Heh.

I thought this was pretty out of character for Foreign Affairs... but that makes sense, given its not Foreign Affairs.

Oops. Please disregard the article.

crazy canuck

Apparently a bunch of Viper clones are challenging the requirement that they swear allegiance to the Queen before becoming citizens.  Since the Queen of Canada is our Head of State as represented by the Govenor General,  I am not sure how they are going to pull this off but it will be interesting to see the way this plays out in the Courts.

garbon

Hmm, I kinda understand the Irish guy but the other two seem odd.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/canada/Would+Canadian+citizens+fight+oath+Queen+discriminatory/8647780/story.html

QuoteOne of the applicants, Michael McAteer, 79, a retired journalist who immigrated almost 50 years ago, says his father was persecuted in Ireland for supporting Irish independence.

"Taking an oath of allegiance to a hereditary monarch who lives abroad would violate my conscience, be a betrayal of my republican heritage, and impede my activities in support of ending the monarchy in Canada," McAteer says in his affidavit.

Topey, who was born in Jamaica in 1966 and came to Canada in 1978, says swearing allegiance to the Queen — whom Rastafarians regard as the "head of Babylon" — would violate her deeply-held beliefs.

Bar-Natan, 47, a math professor who came to Canada in 2002, maintains the Queen is a symbol of entrenched privilege and taking an oath to her would be "repulsive."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Violate your republican heritage?  Why are you trying to move to a constitutional monarchy?  Why don't you fuck off back to Ireland?  Or go to the US.  They could always use another potatohead there to keep CdM company.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Take the oath to Mike Holmes.

i swear to tear up my house over minor flaws. MAKE IT RIGHT
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

Your house? Holmes does it to everyone but his house.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 11, 2013, 07:29:46 PM
Apparently a bunch of Viper clones are challenging the requirement that they swear allegiance to the Queen before becoming citizens.  Since the Queen of Canada is our Head of State as represented by the Govenor General,  I am not sure how they are going to pull this off but it will be interesting to see the way this plays out in the Courts.
there is yet hope for this country. :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Neil on July 11, 2013, 08:33:40 PM
Violate your republican heritage?  Why are you trying to move to a constitutional monarchy?  Why don't you fuck off back to Ireland?  Or go to the US.  They could always use another potatohead there to keep CdM company.
ah?  Now there's a limit to what immigrants can ask?

Neil

Quote from: viper37 on July 12, 2013, 09:46:01 AM
Quote from: Neil on July 11, 2013, 08:33:40 PM
ah?  Now there's a limit to what immigrants can ask?
There has always been.  If you want to attack the very foundation of civilization, you'd probably be happier someplace else.

Honestly, have you ever known a republican that wasn't a complete asshole?