News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Exactly what Malthus and I have been saying since this story broke.  The only reason this story has had any legs is because of the way Ford has reacted to it.

Jacob

I don't think anyone has disagreed with that sentiment :)

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Barrister

This is getting serious.  And bad. :(

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/police-called-after-ford-staffer-david-price-tipped-videos-whereabouts/article12186406/

So one staffer in Ford's office learned reliable information about where the video was a day after Gawker printed their story.  They also learned that the original holder of the video was murdered for the video, and it was now held by someone else.  The staffer told Towher, Ford's chief of staff, who asked Towher to not try and find the video.  Towher realizes this is a potential lead on a homicide investigation, and talks to police.

Towher, recall, resigned / was fired by Ford a few days ago, allegedly for telling Ford to go into treatment.

This, by the way, is why setting up "crackstarters" to raise $200k to give to crack dealers is a really, really bad idea.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Sounds like good way to get rid of pesky Somalian drug dealers to me.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

It would be good to know what this staffer thought was "reliable" information.  Sounds to me that this was another attempt to get some cash for a video only this time rather than contanct the media for the cash the overture is being made to city hall through a staffer.

I cant think of another reasonable reason why someone would call a staffer to give them this kind of information.

Still doesnt add much to whether there is actually a genuine video out there.  More like there is someone out there trying to make a buck off the allegation.

The only thing that makes me think someone does have something on Ford is the way he is acting.  But whether this is just his usual idiocy coming to the fore or whether any of these allegations are legitimate - only time will tell.

Jacob

Whatever the case, it reflects well on Mr. Towhey that he turned the information over to the police. He didn't try to keep it in "the family", nor did he go to the media - he turned it over to the proper authorities.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on May 28, 2013, 11:37:58 AM
Whatever the case, it reflects well on Mr. Towhey that he turned the information over to the police.

Yes.  It was really the only thing he could do.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 28, 2013, 11:39:13 AMYes.  It was really the only thing he could do.

Yeah - the only proper thing he could do.

PRC

This story is fucked up!  Ford has had quite the tumultuous reign as Toronto's mayor.

Malthus

Quote from: PRC on May 28, 2013, 11:42:17 AM
This story is fucked up!  Ford has had quite the tumultuous reign as Toronto's mayor.

The funny part is that, the way the office is set up, the mayor of Toronto has very little actual power.

Perhaps that is all for the best, under the circumstances.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 28, 2013, 11:20:37 AM
Sounds like good way to get rid of pesky Somalian drug dealers to me.

Believe it or not, I do not actually want drug dealers murdered on the street. -_-

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on May 28, 2013, 11:18:38 AM
This is getting serious.  And bad. :(

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/police-called-after-ford-staffer-david-price-tipped-videos-whereabouts/article12186406/

So one staffer in Ford's office learned reliable information about where the video was a day after Gawker printed their story.  They also learned that the original holder of the video was murdered for the video, and it was now held by someone else.  The staffer told Towher, Ford's chief of staff, who asked Towher to not try and find the video.  Towher realizes this is a potential lead on a homicide investigation, and talks to police.

Towher, recall, resigned / was fired by Ford a few days ago, allegedly for telling Ford to go into treatment.

This, by the way, is why setting up "crackstarters" to raise $200k to give to crack dealers is a really, really bad idea.

I'm puzzled by this. The story as printed seems to say that the cops have discounted it.

QuoteThat's when Mr. Price added the information that his source was telling him that the original owner of the video was now dead because someone had killed him for the video. The police have since said the interviews are not related to any ongoing homicide investigation.
[/emphasis]

What does this mean? That the cops have looked into it, and they believe it isn't true? How otherwise can being told that a murder occured over this video 'not be related to any ongoing homicide investigation'?

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on May 28, 2013, 11:40:39 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 28, 2013, 11:39:13 AMYes.  It was really the only thing he could do.

Yeah - the only proper thing he could do.

What else was viable from his point of view?  What was his upside if he didnt go to the police with what he knew?

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on May 28, 2013, 12:07:59 PM
What does this mean? That the cops have looked into it, and they believe it isn't true? How otherwise can being told that a murder occured over this video 'not be related to any ongoing homicide investigation'?

Police already have a suspect in custody, so there is no ongoing investigation (though that doesn't sound quite right - investigation is still ongoing for quite awhile)?
With no body, police do not currently have an investigation ongoing?

Who knows...