News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

BC voters skeptical of current government's economic numbers leading into the election: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/bc-liberals-credibility-gap-now-extends-to-economy/article11017424/

What's your take CC? Battening down the hatches and getting ready to weather and NDP government, or you figure the Libs still have a decent shot?

Neil

Quote from: viper37 on April 11, 2013, 09:43:39 AM
who knows how it would have developped without the British authority and the Federal government to prevent French empowerement?  Much less emigration to the US; New Brunswick, Manitoba,Ontario as French or bilingual provinces at the very least since the late 19th century, access to much needed capital to fund french owned businesses.  Anything is possible in Neil's dreamworld :)
Actually, it's more likely that the whole place is conquered by the Americans, and french is ruthlessly stamped out from public life.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on April 11, 2013, 02:38:48 PM
BC voters skeptical of current government's economic numbers leading into the election: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/bc-liberals-credibility-gap-now-extends-to-economy/article11017424/

What's your take CC? Battening down the hatches and getting ready to weather and NDP government, or you figure the Libs still have a decent shot?

Its would be a major miracle if the Liberals can pull this one out.  The only decent shot they had is if Clark had called an election after she won the Libership.  Things have gone from really bad to epically bad since then.

I fear you will be able to experience first hand what an NDP governement is like in this province.  The good news is I am hopeful they wont repeat the mistakes of the past and try to change everything at once.   But we shall see.

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on April 10, 2013, 04:31:46 PM
Quote"This has not only allowed Canadian banks to diversify their loan portfolios across regions, it has also allowed them to transfer funds in order to shore up banks in regions affected by an adverse economic shock. Nationwide branch banking has also allowed Canada's banks to capture scale economies in administration, while competing among themselves for business in local markets."

This might be a historical difference, but I think now most of the US's large banks are pretty widespread.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Quote from: garbon on April 11, 2013, 02:53:08 PM
Quote from: Malthus on April 10, 2013, 04:31:46 PM
Quote"This has not only allowed Canadian banks to diversify their loan portfolios across regions, it has also allowed them to transfer funds in order to shore up banks in regions affected by an adverse economic shock. Nationwide branch banking has also allowed Canada's banks to capture scale economies in administration, while competing among themselves for business in local markets."

This might be a historical difference, but I think now most of the US's large banks are pretty widespread.

But you have thousands of banks.

We have 6.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 12, 2013, 07:06:30 AM
But you have thousands of banks.

We have 6.

Fair though we also have like what - almost 10 times your population?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

garbon

garbon

Also wiki lists a great many more banks for Canada...

Grey Fox

Quote from: garbon on April 12, 2013, 09:44:05 AM

Only the big 6 count. The other are just there to offer Mortgages and/or issue credit cards.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 12, 2013, 09:44:12 AM
As is yours.

I'd say probably isn't a fair statement. Insofar as our "certain key areas" include nearly most of the eastern half of the US.

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 12, 2013, 10:27:19 AM
Quote from: garbon on April 12, 2013, 09:44:05 AM

Only the big 6 count. The other are just there to offer Mortgages and/or issue credit cards.

Ah, alright. :)

crazy canuck

Not sure what your point is Garbon, your population is not equally distributed across the map and neither is ours.

viper37

Quote from: Neil on April 11, 2013, 02:42:44 PM
Actually, it's more likely that the whole place is conquered by the Americans, and french is ruthlessly stamped out from public life.
You mean like the British and Canadians tried to do since 1763?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.