News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Royal Bank walked into a PR disaster here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/04/05/bc-rbc-foreign-workers.html

What are the odds that the government will take some sort of action?

crazy canuck

Yeah from reports I heard this morning the practice may be wide spread across many of the major banks.

I predict a complete re-examine and overhaul of the termporary foriegn worker program.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 08, 2013, 12:31:03 PM
Yeah from reports I heard this morning the practice may be wide spread across many of the major banks.

I predict a complete re-examine and overhaul of the termporary foriegn worker program.

Hopefully it'll be sensible.

What kind of turn-around do you think we should expect?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on April 08, 2013, 12:34:41 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 08, 2013, 12:31:03 PM

Hopefully it'll be sensible.

What kind of turn-around do you think we should expect?

I expect a tightening of the rules regarding how a company needs to demonstrate there are no Canadian workers available to do the job before a temporary foriegn worker can be brought in.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 08, 2013, 12:39:02 PMI expect a tightening of the rules regarding how a company needs to demonstrate there are no Canadian workers available to do the job before a temporary foriegn worker can be brought in.

Kind of how it was supposed to work to begin with...

Jacob

Read an article in the G&M about Justin Trudeau's impending leadership of the grits. Apparently he's so far ahead that if (when) he takes over, most of the old guard factions will have been replaced by his people, resulting in a more unified party. And he's apparently got a certain amount of charisma and skills as a retail politician.

... that's what the article says. Will it be enough to counter (or render irrelevant) the remnants of visceral anti-Trudeau animus in the West?

Malthus

Kinda reminds me of the dialogue in a Sherlock Holmes short story. "the man with the twisted lip"

Cop: You said no-one was up here.

Landlord: there is no-one up here.

Cop: What about him then? (points at beggar)

Landlord: But Sir! A beggar is no-one!

I guess from Royal Bank's perspective, the law says that you can only employ foreign workers if no-one is available to do the job ... "But Sir! A 50-60 year old IT systems support person *is* no-one!".  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Battle of London

More hints that the 1982 Constitution is a shame on this country.  Supreme court will investigate the alleged breach of the seperation of powers.

Meanwhile, what does the Canadian government do to clear the air?  Nothing.  It won't release previously classified documents about this entire, shameful, episode of our history.  An episode where the Federal and the English speaking provinces leagued together to crush Quebec, helped by the Supreme Court of this country.

The Seperatist will have great moments coming.  Thanks to Canada.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on April 10, 2013, 12:30:41 PM
Battle of London

More hints that the 1982 Constitution is a shame on this country.  Supreme court will investigate the alleged breach of the seperation of powers.

Meanwhile, what does the Canadian government do to clear the air?  Nothing.  It won't release previously classified documents about this entire, shameful, episode of our history.  An episode where the Federal and the English speaking provinces leagued together to crush Quebec, helped by the Supreme Court of this country.

So far all we have is an allegation from an author of a book that has a political axe to grind.  I will wait for the review the Court will undertake of those allegations.

The SCC decided against the submission made by Quebec on the Constitutional Question.  This guy says he has an explanation.  Lets wait to see if his theory holds any water.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Neil

Quote from: Jacob on April 08, 2013, 04:30:44 PM
... that's what the article says. Will it be enough to counter (or render irrelevant) the remnants of visceral anti-Trudeau animus in the West?
He's not really running in the West though.  It's from Ontario to the East that he's interested in.  That's how the Liberal Party operates.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 10, 2013, 12:46:34 PM
Quote from: viper37 on April 10, 2013, 12:30:41 PM
Battle of London

So far all we have is an allegation from an author of a book that has a political axe to grind.  I will wait for the review the Court will undertake of those allegations.
Allegation from an historian who made serious research from declassified british documents, among other things.

The SCC decided against the submission made by Quebec on the Constitutional Question.  This guy says he has an explanation.  Lets wait to see if his theory holds any water.
Trudeau's judges made the ruling.  How surprising.

Nonetheless, let's examine the facts at hand:
- The Constitution requires unanimous consent to be modified.
- The party in power proposes a new Constitution, wich contains a different rule for amendments.
- The Supreme courts, with judges issued from the ruling party declares this to be totally valid.

When this happens in Venezuela, we call the guy a dictator.
When this happens in Canada, we call the guy a national hero.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

Quote from: Neil on April 10, 2013, 01:11:51 PMHe's not really running in the West though.  It's from Ontario to the East that he's interested in.  That's how the Liberal Party operates.

Clearly Alberta won't have him, but would they have anyone running as a Liberal?

As for BC and the other prairie provinces, I guess we'll see.

viper37