News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on October 31, 2012, 03:55:35 PM
You've heard the stories before - government departments have money left over at the end of the year and they rush out to spend it.  Well I guess this year they didn't.
It's because, in the past, if a department had any money left, they had to give it back and since they did so well, they were cut from their next budget since they "obviously" didn't need it.

That policy has been changed since.  Money not spent is left in the department, but taken into account for next year.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on October 31, 2012, 04:34:03 PM
The federal government isn't directly responsible for bridges and roads - or really 98% of infrastructure that's out there.  That's all provincial/municipal.  The infrastructure program was about providing funds to those other levels of government to do their infrastructure programs.
Exactly.  And I what I suspect happenned is a lot of cities and provinces simply did not make request for federal money.  Or they didn't qualify for the grant money, like the Quebec city arena.

But mostly, I'd bet on the provincial agencies not doing their job of requesting federal money for their infrastructure on time.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on October 31, 2012, 05:10:53 PM
It's entirely possible that these savings are entirely through prudent fiscal management, improved efficiency, elimination of waste, and unanticipated low replacement needs. Well, let's see the numbers and confirm those facts.
I have to side with our leftist friend here.  Let's see the numbers and confirm what happenned.

In any case, it proved the stimulus plan had nothing to do with the relatively good performance of the canadien economy.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on October 31, 2012, 06:55:46 PM
Quote from: Jacob on October 31, 2012, 05:10:53 PM
It's entirely possible that these savings are entirely through prudent fiscal management, improved efficiency, elimination of waste, and unanticipated low replacement needs. Well, let's see the numbers and confirm those facts.
I have to side with our leftist friend here.  Let's see the numbers and confirm what happenned.

In any case, it proved the stimulus plan had nothing to do with the relatively good performance of the canadien economy.

Predictable you want to make sure Quebec didnt lose out on money it didnt really need.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 31, 2012, 06:57:38 PMPredictable you want to make sure Quebec didnt lose out on money it didnt really need.

Why are you being so silly? Bored at work?

Neil

Quote from: Jacob on October 31, 2012, 05:53:15 PM
Quote from: Neil on October 31, 2012, 05:41:43 PMBut butchering and eating them is?  You fucking Sinopologist.

Now you are sounding like Raz.
I dunno.  I just wanted to hate on China at the same time as I state that whining about the disposal of useless dogs is foolish.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 31, 2012, 06:57:38 PM
Predictable you want to make sure Quebec didnt lose out on money it didnt really need.
So, there are provinces who didn't really needed the money, but there are others who really needed the money.  Can you make a list so I can follow you?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on October 31, 2012, 06:59:01 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 31, 2012, 06:57:38 PMPredictable you want to make sure Quebec didnt lose out on money it didnt really need.

You really think it is silly to assume Quebec would want every dime of transfer payment when that has been that provinces mantra for the last couple of generations.

Why are you being so daft?

Jacob

I think your response to Viper was silly. He is not Quebec.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on November 01, 2012, 10:54:03 AM
I think your response to Viper was silly. He is not Quebec.

Then you havent been reading his posts over the years where he has pretty carefully explained his political views which are very much pro Quebec.

Grey Fox

He's mostly Anti-Monarchist.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 01, 2012, 10:59:24 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 01, 2012, 10:59:00 AM
He's mostly Anti-Monarchist.

He is most definitely that as well.

Something that I, as another Quebecois, find incredibly weird.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 01, 2012, 10:51:15 AM
Quote from: Jacob on October 31, 2012, 06:59:01 PM

You really think it is silly to assume Quebec would want every dime of transfer payment when that has been that provinces mantra for the last couple of generations.

Why are you being so daft?
I asked a simple question.  You don't want to answer, just say so.  I understand you do not want to look ridiculous, but then you should have left your mouth shut.

Jacob

This is how the conversation looks from my perspective:

Government: "We saved a bunch of money!"
Jacob & Viper: "Cool! How did you save it?"
CC: "Shut up! Just be happy that we saved it."
Jacob & Viper: "All we want to know how it was saved..."
CC: "Typical daft leftists and super-nationalist Quebeckers, you don't understand government spending and fiscal management!"